News Nelson Asofa-Solomona linked to Sydney rival in reported shock move

Jackson_1994

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Star Melbourne Storm forward Nelson Asofa-Solomona has been linked with a shock move to the Canterbury Bulldogs.

Asofa-Solomona, who plays predominantly as a middle forward, but also impressed in a forced move to the edge at the back end of 2021 for the Storm, is off-contract at the end of 2023.

The giant prop, who travelled with Michael Maguire's New Zealand side for the recent Rugby League World Cup, has quickly developed into one of the best in the game.

While he was linked to rugby union throughout the coronavirus pandemic, and it's almost certain clubs in the sport will come sniffing around again, the Melbourne Storm are reportedly confident in hanging onto Asofa-Solomona after the 2023 season.

The Daily Telegraph are reporting that club officials are currently unaware of any other clubs interested in Asofa-Solomona, but the publication are suggesting the Bulldogs will be lining up to have a crack at the star forward.

The Bulldogs are seemingly being linked to just about every off-contract player, with director of football Phil Gould reportedly keen to continue shuffling his salary cap as Cameron Ciraldo takes over as head coach in what will be his first role away from the Penrith Panthers, where he has served as an assistant to Ivan Cleary in the back-to-back premiership-winning side over the last 24 months.
Canterbury have already been heavily linked with big money moves for both Mitchell Moses and Stephen Crichton, who are also both off-contract at the end of the 2023 campaign.

It's unclear if making either of those moves would stop them from making the other, or if they could potentially ruin any interest in bringing Asofa-Solomona to Sydney.

The New Zealand-born prop will need to stand up as a forward leader for the men in purple during 2023 alongside Tui Kamaikamica and Christian Welch, who returns from injury, with all of Felise Kaufusi, Jesse Bromwich, Kenneath Bromwich and Brandon Smith - all of whom are representative players - exiting at the end of a 2022 season which finished with the Storm suffering a shock loss in a home elimination final to the Canberra Raiders

rand0m3r

Since 1994
Reaction score
i would take him if we let go of TPJ. otherwise we'll be away 20 penalties a game.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
“The Daily Telecrap is reporting that officials are not aware of any other clubs interest in him”.

Gold medal for dumbest line ever. He is able to negotiate with other clubs and is one of the most destructive forwards in the game. But the most professional club in the comp don’t think other teams would be interested in him ????

FMD

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I’d love Nelson. Though first target has to be moses. I understand different players and we need a fucking prop leader. Can’t imagine he leaves the storm though even with Bellamy probz gone.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
As long as we're signing 2 marquees out of halfback, fullback and prop (in an ideal world in that order) I'm happy.

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bring him in, I'm sick of the pack not being intimidating enough and getting dominated.

I'd get rid of Thompson and bring in Nelson for the money.
Agree, how the hell is Thompson on 800k and NAS is on just 625k. NAS plays a Bulldog for sure. Bellamy will also be gone at the end of 2023, so i'm pretty sure NAS will leave.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Agree, how the hell is Thompson on 800k and NAS is on just 625k. NAS plays a Bulldog for sure. Bellamy will also be gone at the end of 2023, so i'm pretty sure NAS will leave.
Exactly, I am under no illusions, I've seen this pack get rolled by the once were Warriors, Tigers and Manly. We need a leader who has that intimidation factor. I love what TPJ brings but we need someone to maintain the rage when he is on the bench.

underdogsontop2246

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly, I am under no illusions, I've seen this pack get rolled by the once were Warriors, Tigers and Manly. We need a leader who has that intimidation factor. I love what TPJ brings but we need someone to maintain the rage when he is on the bench.
I'll be extremely disappointed if we either end up with Woods, JWH, Tamou or McLean.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
My God imagine having Nas, Kikau, Tpj and Pele all in the same team, it would be like the mon-stars from space jam.
Some teams in the comp will look at that and know they will be in for a long day.

If RFM finds form, King keeps going with his form. Then you can add those two into the mix. That is the base of a really solid pack. Add in some fringe players who actually have a dig like Waddell, Davey, Topine, Morrin, it looks very well balanced.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
This has Willie Mason influence written all over it, if anyone knows what we are lacking in the pack it would be Willie.

He is a legend for laughing in Hustler's face over Tolman as the best forward in the game.