Name 30 places in the world you would like to see

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Now I'm not talking about tropical islands or things like that, it doesn't even have to be something nice. Just places you would like to see in the world. They can pretty much anywhere.

1. Pyramids of Egypt
  2. The Nile River
  3. African Safari - perhaps South Africa or Kenya
  4. Morroco
  5. Seville - Spains 4th largest city
  6. Small towns in coastal Portugal (been there, they are awesome)
  7. Croatia
  8. Macedonia
  9. Water World, Yerevan, Armenia
  10. Uluru
  11. Great Barrier Reed
  12. Christmas Island - walk along the red-crab infested shores
  13. South Island, NZ. Swim in the some of the natural hot springs
  14. LA - Hollywood Boulevard
  15. LA - Disney Land (want to see what all the fuss is about)
  16. LA - Universal Studios (want to see the Fast and Furious cars on display)
  17. LA - the streets of LA. Forgot all the glamour, I want to see the wrong end of town
  18. Arizona - natural arid land
  19. Vegas - speaks for itself
  20. Chicago - the US's third biggest city which doesn't get as much attention as the biggest 2
  21. New York City
  22. NYC - The Seinfeld diner
  23. Banff. I've already experienced snow in the middle of Summer in Switzerland, but Canada is the place to experience this moreso
  24. Toronto - the Sydney of Canada
  25. Greenland - see how the eskimos really live
  26. Lithuania - the little treasure of the former USSR
  27. Latvia - ever since I first saw the episode of Seinfeld where George wanted to join the Latvian Orthodox Church, I've wanted to see this place
  28. Moscow
  29. Saint Petersburg
  30. Hawaii

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Now I'm not talking about tropical islands or things like that, it doesn't even have to be something nice. Just places you would like to see in the world. They can pretty much anywhere.

1. Pyramids of Egypt
  2. The Nile River
  4. Morroco
  7. Croatia
  8. Macedonia
  10. Uluru
  11. Great Barrier Reed
  17. LA - the streets of LA. Forgot all the glamour, I want to see the wrong end of town
  20. Chicago - the US's third biggest city which doesn't get as much attention as the biggest 2
  21. New York City
  23. Banff. I've already experienced snow in the middle of Summer in Switzerland, but Canada is the place to experience this moreso
  27. Latvia - ever since I first saw the episode of Seinfeld where George wanted to join the Latvian Orthodox Church, I've wanted to see this place
  28. Moscow
  29. Saint Petersburg
  30. Hawaii
We just came back from a tour of the US. Went to New York, New Jersey, Washington DC, San Francisco, Las Vegas and LA. Here's some suggestions for those:

New York
- Probably the best place we went. It just awes you when you see the size of it. Buildings are huge, streets are huge. It's no where near as crowded as everyone says. And the people are really friendly. A couple of things to keep in mind though:

- No one makes eye contact. This is from about 15 years ago when New York was a rough area. Everyone is friendly now but they're still too scared to make eye contact

- It also stinks. Not all the time, but you'll often be walking along and you'll get a whiff of a sewer or piss on a wall. I like to describe it as a strip club that stinks of piss and is very rough around the edges but the strippers are all Victoria's Secret Angels

- Prepare to walk a lot. It's faster to walk somewhere than driving. And honestly, avoid driving. People drive like I do. They tell you they want to change lanes by veering into you. If you don't speed up or back off then there's a good chance you'll get hit. They're all great drivers but they expect you to drive like they do. Parking also requires waiting hours for a spot then doing a 50 point park to fit into a tight space

- Buy a metro card. The New York subway is one of the best in the world. You can get anywhere you want to go on the train. The trains come every 5-10 minutes and each train station has its own line so when you get to the train station you know exactly where you're going

- The food is some of the best you'll get. Walk into a cheap diner and order a steak and eggs for breakfast, you'll pay about $10 and get a prime cut of steak that would cots about $40 in Australia

- You cannot get good coffee anywhere. This goes for the whole of America but New Yorkers think they are the one town that makes good coffee. They don't. They have 100 cafes and a fair few of them are Australian cafes, but they still can't make a coffee to save their lives

- Central Park is amazing. People told me to avoid it at night but we were there in the early evening and the park was still flooded with families playing baseball and having picnics

- Manhattan gets a little loud and hotels are pretty expensive. If you want to save money and your sanity, there's some really decent hotels in Long Island City which is about 15-20 minutes out of Manhattan on the subway. Best part is that you can take a 10 minute walk up to Astoria and get some amazing food and night life there. We stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton at Long Island City. Bit of a rough looking area, mainly industrial and there's a panel beater on every corner but people around there are really friendly. Here's a photo from the rooftop bar of the hotel https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/09/af/63/b2/vista-sky-lounge.jpg

Las Vegas - Also one of the best places we went. Amazing atmosphere. Even if you don't gamble there's many things to do while you're there. Word of warning, keep an eye out for people wearing Westgate Resort uniforms. They try to scam you into attending their time-share crap. We actually stayed at the Westgate and it was great but we knew what we were getting into. Read all the reviews before hand so we knew what to look our for. They have an information desk there which is actually a time-share sales desk. They also have people standing around waiting for you to walk passed. They'll ask you if you want to attend their tour, or watch their presentation, or they'll just say "you look tired and the check-in line is long, would you like to take a seat over here?". Or my favourite, "You haven't received your free gift yet?". Apparently when you attend the meeting they abuse you and try to sell you time-shares. Each time they approached me I just told them to piss off. They left me alone after that. While walking around Vegas we saw a few of them around Vegas in general, trying to sucker people in

- Also, there's a lot of alcoholism encouraged. I didn't drink much while I was there as I was too busy running around but it's encouraged. Going to have breakfast first thing in the morning and being asked if you'd like beer or champagne with your breakfast just made me laugh. There's a hairdresser near the strip that serves you booze while cutting your hair. It's hilarious

- If you have a car it's worth checking out Death Valley and the Grand Canyon

- There's also free parking pretty much everywhere in Vegas but I wouldn't suggest driving around the strip. The strip traffic is very slow but it's nice to drive it once to see everything. Outside the strip you can usually find free self-parking everywhere or you can get free valet parking ($1-$5 tip required). There's a monorail that provides transport around the strip

Los Angeles - Wasn't much to like about this place. We didn't end up going to any of the theme parks as we had limited time and wanted to check out Hollywood, Downtown LA, the beaches, etc. Should have just gone to theme parks:

- Hollywood is crap. A bunch of stars on a pavement and a bunch of homeless people looking at you funny. Rough people around there too. No one is friendly and lots of junkies around

- Venice Beach, Long Beach and Santa Monica are all nice, but they're nothing compared to Sydney Beaches. There are some interesting characters around though

- Transport around LA sucks. The public transport system is crap. Takes 2 hours to get anywhere. Driving around is the best option but the traffic around LA is worse than Sydney and there's no free parking anywhere. The rare places where you find free parking are the places where you park for 5 minutes and come back to a car without wheels. Shopping centres have parking but they have weird parking validation. Most shopping centres charge about $1-$2 per hour if you get your parking validated. To validate your parking you either need to spend a certain amount at one of their restaurants or spend a certain amount of certain shops. They're very vague about what you need to do to get your parking validated until you're inside. If you don't get your parking validated then they usually charge around $10 for each 5 minutes.

- Honestly, I really have nothing good to say about LA. I was quite surprised how much I didn't like it. When I mentioned this to other people they all said the same thing. No one likes LA. You go there if you're forced to stop over or if you're going to theme parks. Otherwise it's just a crap town

- "LA - the streets of LA. Forgot all the glamour, I want to see the wrong end of town", If you're in LA then you're already in the wrong side of town

San Francisco - Pass. Some of my friends love it but I just thought it was a boring town. A big bridge, some semi-decent food. There was a sandwich shop near where we stayed that make some of the best sandwiches we've ever had and there's a nice museum in Golden Gate park but other than that, it's just a boring town

New Jersey - Loved it a lot more than I thought I would. Jersey City and Newark are rubbish but Jersey Shore is great. If you're in New York it's pretty easy to head down to Long Branch and check out all the insane Jewish mansions. They're all different and they'll all competing to see who can build the most insane mansion on the beach. Word of warning though. The beaches themselves are pretty average. No waves at all and you have to buy a pass to enter the beach. The area is great though. Do a nice long drive down Jersey Shore and you see some amazing sights

Washington DC - If you like Museums and monuments then it's good but other than that it's pretty crap. No parking anywhere but a decent subway system if you're staying out of the main town. Hotels in the main town usually charge you a fair amount to park. Full of pretentious organic eating white people too. It's not a good culture to see. It's a mix of overly rich white people wearing shirts saying "Black lives matter" and a mix of homeless black people begging for a cent. The white people wouldn't give them a cent. Happy to wear a shirt but won't actually help them. After seeing a great mixed culture community in New York, it's just sad to see this culture in DC

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score

1. Pyramids of Egypt
  2. The Nile River
  4. Morroco
  7. Croatia
  8. Macedonia
  10. Uluru
  11. Great Barrier Reed
  21. New York City
  28. Moscow
  29. Saint Petersburg
  30. Hawaii
Your number 1 is my number 1 also

Reaction score
the ones on your list i've done

1. Great Barrier Reef - awesome spot everyone should check out
  2. LA - Hollywood Boulevard - pretty filthy place full of tourists
  3. LA - Disney Land - thumbs up, i liked it
  4. LA - Universal Studios - pretty cool, worth checking out
  5. LA - the streets of LA. - scary, but that's part of the fun of it. spent a day walking around downtown LA, spent a day walking around Inglewood
  6. Arizona - awesome spot, desert looks really cool, been in summer desert places, and winter snowy places
  7. Vegas - best place on earth hands down, been there at least 50 times and it never gets old, best place to party bar none
  8. New York City - everyone should check this place out
  9. Banff. - great spot, played golf there, great driving places with sketchy mountain roads
  10. Hawaii - nice spot, but only useful as a stopover
if your going to california a place worth checking out is yosemite, really nice place, nice drive in the summer, snowy in winter but also really nice.

another place in california is the redwoods in return of the jedi, really nice forest

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We just came back from a tour of the US. Went to New York, New Jersey, Washington DC, San Francisco, Las Vegas and LA. Here's some suggestions for those:

New York
- Probably the best place we went. It just awes you when you see the size of it. Buildings are huge, streets are huge. It's no where near as crowded as everyone says. And the people are really friendly. A couple of things to keep in mind though:

- No one makes eye contact. This is from about 15 years ago when New York was a rough area. Everyone is friendly now but they're still too scared to make eye contact

- It also stinks. Not all the time, but you'll often be walking along and you'll get a whiff of a sewer or piss on a wall. I like to describe it as a strip club that stinks of piss and is very rough around the edges but the strippers are all Victoria's Secret Angels

- Prepare to walk a lot. It's faster to walk somewhere than driving. And honestly, avoid driving. People drive like I do. They tell you they want to change lanes by veering into you. If you don't speed up or back off then there's a good chance you'll get hit. They're all great drivers but they expect you to drive like they do. Parking also requires waiting hours for a spot then doing a 50 point park to fit into a tight space

- Buy a metro card. The New York subway is one of the best in the world. You can get anywhere you want to go on the train. The trains come every 5-10 minutes and each train station has its own line so when you get to the train station you know exactly where you're going

- The food is some of the best you'll get. Walk into a cheap diner and order a steak and eggs for breakfast, you'll pay about $10 and get a prime cut of steak that would cots about $40 in Australia

- You cannot get good coffee anywhere. This goes for the whole of America but New Yorkers think they are the one town that makes good coffee. They don't. They have 100 cafes and a fair few of them are Australian cafes, but they still can't make a coffee to save their lives

- Central Park is amazing. People told me to avoid it at night but we were there in the early evening and the park was still flooded with families playing baseball and having picnics

- Manhattan gets a little loud and hotels are pretty expensive. If you want to save money and your sanity, there's some really decent hotels in Long Island City which is about 15-20 minutes out of Manhattan on the subway. Best part is that you can take a 10 minute walk up to Astoria and get some amazing food and night life there. We stayed at the Four Points by Sheraton at Long Island City. Bit of a rough looking area, mainly industrial and there's a panel beater on every corner but people around there are really friendly. Here's a photo from the rooftop bar of the hotel https://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/09/af/63/b2/vista-sky-lounge.jpg

Las Vegas - Also one of the best places we went. Amazing atmosphere. Even if you don't gamble there's many things to do while you're there. Word of warning, keep an eye out for people wearing Westgate Resort uniforms. They try to scam you into attending their time-share crap. We actually stayed at the Westgate and it was great but we knew what we were getting into. Read all the reviews before hand so we knew what to look our for. They have an information desk there which is actually a time-share sales desk. They also have people standing around waiting for you to walk passed. They'll ask you if you want to attend their tour, or watch their presentation, or they'll just say "you look tired and the check-in line is long, would you like to take a seat over here?". Or my favourite, "You haven't received your free gift yet?". Apparently when you attend the meeting they abuse you and try to sell you time-shares. Each time they approached me I just told them to piss off. They left me alone after that. While walking around Vegas we saw a few of them around Vegas in general, trying to sucker people in

- Also, there's a lot of alcoholism encouraged. I didn't drink much while I was there as I was too busy running around but it's encouraged. Going to have breakfast first thing in the morning and being asked if you'd like beer or champagne with your breakfast just made me laugh. There's a hairdresser near the strip that serves you booze while cutting your hair. It's hilarious

- There's also free parking pretty much everywhere in Vegas but I wouldn't suggest driving around the strip. The strip traffic is very slow but it's nice to drive it once to see everything. Outside the strip you can usually find free self-parking everywhere or you can get free valet parking ($1-$5 tip required). There's a monorail that provides transport around the strip

Los Angeles - Wasn't much to like about this place. We didn't end up going to any of the theme parks as we had limited time and wanted to check out Hollywood, Downtown LA, the beaches, etc. Should have just gone to theme parks:

- Hollywood is crap. A bunch of stars on a pavement and a bunch of homeless people looking at you funny. Rough people around there too. No one is friendly and lots of junkies around

- Venice Beach, Long Beach and Santa Monica are all nice, but they're nothing compared to Sydney Beaches. There are some interesting characters around though

- Transport around LA sucks. The public transport system is crap. Takes 2 hours to get anywhere. Driving around is the best option but the traffic around LA is worse than Sydney and there's no free parking anywhere. The rare places where you find free parking are the places where you park for 5 minutes and come back to a car without wheels. Shopping centres have parking but they have weird parking validation. Most shopping centres charge about $1-$2 per hour if you get your parking validated. To validate your parking you either need to spend a certain amount at one of their restaurants or spend a certain amount of certain shops. They're very vague about what you need to do to get your parking validated until you're inside. If you don't get your parking validated then they usually charge around $10 for each 5 minutes.

- Honestly, I really have nothing good to say about LA. I was quite surprised how much I didn't like it. When I mentioned this to other people they all said the same thing. No one likes LA. You go there if you're forced to stop over or if you're going to theme parks. Otherwise it's just a crap town

- "LA - the streets of LA. Forgot all the glamour, I want to see the wrong end of town", If you're in LA then you're already in the wrong side of town

San Francisco - Pass. Some of my friends love it but I just thought it was a boring town. A big bridge, some semi-decent food. There was a sandwich shop near where we stayed that make some of the best sandwiches we've ever had and there's a nice museum in Golden Gate park but other than that, it's just a boring town

New Jersey - Loved it a lot more than I thought I would. Jersey City and Newark are rubbish but Jersey Shore is great. If you're in New York it's pretty easy to head down to Long Branch and check out all the insane Jewish mansions. They're all different and they'll all competing to see who can build the most insane mansion on the beach. Word of warning though. The beaches themselves are pretty average. No waves at all and you have to buy a pass to enter the beach. The area is great though. Do a nice long drive down Jersey Shore and you see some amazing sights

Washington DC - If you like Museums and monuments then it's good but other than that it's pretty crap. No parking anywhere but a decent subway system if you're staying out of the main town. Hotels in the main town usually charge you a fair amount to park. Full of pretentious organic eating white people too. It's not a good culture to see. It's a mix of overly rich white people wearing shirts saying "Black lives matter" and a mix of homeless black people begging for a cent. The white people wouldn't give them a cent. Happy to wear a shirt but won't actually help them. After seeing a great mixed culture community in New York, it's just sad to see this culture in DC

Did you visit Alcatraz while in 'Frisco? Taking the Powell & Hyde cable car from Market up over those hills and down is a thrilling experience. I've enjoyed the combination each time I've visited the city, which is maybe four times.

Thorough review of the cities. Quite an interesting country, those United States of America.

~c.

Reaction score
Did you visit Alcatraz while in 'Frisco? Taking the Powell & Hyde cable car from Market up over those hills and down is a thrilling experience. I've enjoyed the combination each time I've visited the city, which is maybe four times.

Thorough review of the cities. Quite an interesting country, those United States of America.

~c.
how about the beggers in SF, homeless dudes everywhere you step.
twin peaks, coit tower and walking over the bridge were the best parts i liked about SF

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

~c.
Didn't make it to Alcatraz. We considered it but we didn't have much interest. The cable car was fun though. There was a long queue and when we eventually got on the Mrs was sitting down and I hung out the side of the cable car.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

New York

Wow, pretty detailed response. Thanks dude :grinning: I wouldn't mind seeing Washington but it's not in my top 30.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
@Hacky McAxe whaaaat you didn't go to DEEEEEEEEEEE-TROIT ???? Half of the interesting clips on Liveleak are from there!!!

From your list I've only done Great Barrier Reef. If you are going to do it, do it out of Port Douglas as the reef is more untouched. Swum with lemon sharks and turtles literally miles from nowhere and offshore in middle of ocean. One of the best "bucket list" experiences I've done.

As for the question... I'm the holidaying type who likes to enjoy relaxing on a tropical island and soaking up the atmopshere, water, and hospitality.

I'm not talking "go to a beach resort, sit on beach and do fuck all".. but "experience remote islands with stunning beaches and crystal clear water, and the local hospitality/sites".

So for me Fiji/Samoa/Niue/Tahiti/Tuvalu/American Samoa/Maldives are my thing.

Either that or experiencing Australia.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
how about the beggers in SF, homeless dudes everywhere you step.
twin peaks, coit tower and walking over the bridge were the best parts i liked about SF
I found the homeless folk were quite harmless, though overwhelming at first.
We stayed close to the Tenderloins area, at the now closed Renoir hotel on Market and McAllister ... dumpy area! And this was a hotel suggested by Qantas holidays :tearsofjoy:
Haight and Ashbury, the Castro, views at Nob Hill, Lombard st, Pier 39/wharf area plus Chinatown were standouts!

~c.

Lov_Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't make it to Alcatraz. We considered it but we didn't have much interest. The cable car was fun though. There was a long queue and when we eventually got on the Mrs was sitting down and I hung out the side of the cable car.
The view of the entire city from Alcatraz is worth the price of admission. Also, there is a night tour of the grounds, I've never managed to acquire tickets to join .. the place is seriously eerie++!

Love the cable cars!!

~c.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I found the homeless folk were quite harmless, though overwhelming at first.
We stayed close to the Tenderloins area, at the now closed Renoir hotel on Market and McAllister ... dumpy area! And this was a hotel suggested by Qantas holidays :tearsofjoy:
Haight and Ashbury, the Castro, views at Nob Hill, Lombard st, Pier 39/wharf area plus Chinatown were standouts!

~c.
We stayed at an Airbnb at Little Russia. Not a bad area, right near Golden Gate Park. The Airbnb stunk of sewage though, then again most of San Fran has that smell. Earthquakes often messing up the sewage system. There was a nice stretch of shops with many cafes and tea shops, and a great sandwich place. The name isn't an exaggeration either. There's Russian grocers everywhere and many people speaking Russian.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Finke desert race, dirt bikes at over a 100 through the outback would look good.

Interestingg

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

New York

Did you watch any shows (broadway or otherwise) or any sporting events? I'm off to Vegas, NY and Cancun later this year

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Did you watch any shows (broadway or otherwise) or any sporting events? I'm off to Vegas, NY and Cancun later this year
Nah. We originally planned to see a Yankees game and watch Lion King in New York but we didn't have enough time. We thought we'd find NY boring but it was actually really interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.