My summary

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My summary

First of all yes I agree the ref played a minor part in our loss tonight but let’s be honest here… any decent side with half a brain should of knocked canberra by 13+ tonight.

1. If naden and ave see another jersey in first grade this season then Baz deserves nothing but the sack. For gods sake! Naden is dumber then my dog with atrocious hands. The only good thing he done all game was the knock back from set restart which was his fault to begin with! Ave I’ve been carrying on about him since last season. He offers f all to this team and needs to be sent packing. Gets completely dominated in defence and attack and does nothing what so ever to keep his place. Replace him with a second rower atleast our defence will tighten up!
  2. Jmk is a player we need in the squad only for the fact he can defend. (Sometimes). He offers nothing in attack besides the odd run out of dummy half and that’s pretty much it. A hooker is pretty much another half in the game these days and he offers nothing atall in attack; No kicking game, no vision and atrocious service.
  3. Dufty should be let go this year. Experiment tried and failed. Watch the likes of paps and edwards and he isn’t even on the same planet. The only thing he has going for him is speed and the cut out pass if it doesn’t get intercepted. Never do I see him feed off tpj with the highest offloads in the comp, never is he in support in broken play, his defence is non existent and never puts his body on the line.
  4. If anyone is pointing to tpj being a problem then they have no idea about footy. Yes he is overly aggressive sometimes and gives away the odd penalty but I’d be frustrated also when the middles keep defending all half cause your backs keep fucking up and knocking on or giving away the ball easily. He is one of our only forwards who runs with effort.
  5. Jackson either needs to be put in the middle and defend or Fuck off. Today was a prime example the game has passed him. We looked so unorganised with him coming back it’s becoming obvious the captaincy has gotten the best of him.
  6. Burton and jac are a blessing to this squad. They are the only 2 who I see massive improvements.. so well done to them playing with pride. Love them both and hope they play in a dogs jersey for a long time.
  7. Flano is basically doing his job and that’s it. I want to see more from our 7, creativity has been missing in a dogs 7 jersey in a long time so if he can’t improve by next year then also time to move him on.
Overall Baz has been a massive fail also. Training staff who he hired and himself need to pack there bags and leave before more damage is caused. I said it before if they can’t get a team ready to play a 14th placed Canberra outfit who are playing like dead beats with reserve grade halves and Elliot as Hooker then the club has some serious issues. As scary as this is, if we get done by Newcastle next week then I’m tapping out for the rest of the year. I’ve had enough of this club sitting back watching this train wreck. Bloody embarrassing!

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
My summary

First of all yes I agree the ref played a minor part in our loss tonight but let’s be honest here… any decent side with half a brain should of knocked canberra by 13+ tonight.

1. If naden and ave see another jersey in first grade this season then Baz deserves nothing but the sack. For gods sake! Naden is dumber then my dog with atrocious hands. The only good thing he done all game was the knock back from set restart which was his fault to begin with! Ave I’ve been carrying on about him since last season. He offers f all to this team and needs to be sent packing. Gets completely dominated in defence and attack and does nothing what so ever to keep his place. Replace him with a second rower atleast our defence will tighten up!
  2. Jmk is a player we need in the squad only for the fact he can defend. (Sometimes). He offers nothing in attack besides the odd run out of dummy half and that’s pretty much it. A hooker is pretty much another half in the game these days and he offers nothing atall in attack; No kicking game, no vision and atrocious service.
  3. Dufty should be let go this year. Experiment tried and failed. Watch the likes of paps and edwards and he isn’t even on the same planet. The only thing he has going for him is speed and the cut out pass if it doesn’t get intercepted. Never do I see him feed off tpj with the highest offloads in the comp, never is he in support in broken play, his defence is non existent and never puts his body on the line.
  4. If anyone is pointing to tpj being a problem then they have no idea about footy. Yes he is overly aggressive sometimes and gives away the odd penalty but I’d be frustrated also when the middles keep defending all half cause your backs keep fucking up and knocking on or giving away the ball easily. He is one of our only forwards who runs with effort.
  5. Jackson either needs to be put in the middle and defend or Fuck off. Today was a prime example the game has passed him. We looked so unorganised with him coming back it’s becoming obvious the captaincy has gotten the best of him.
  6. Burton and jac are a blessing to this squad. They are the only 2 who I see massive improvements.. so well done to them playing with pride. Love them both and hope they play in a dogs jersey for a long time.
  7. Flano is basically doing his job and that’s it. I want to see more from our 7, creativity has been missing in a dogs 7 jersey in a long time so if he can’t improve by next year then also time to move him on.
Overall Baz has been a massive fail also. Training staff who he hired and himself need to pack there bags and leave before more damage is caused. I said it before if they can’t get a team ready to play a 14th placed Canberra outfit who are playing like dead beats with reserve grade halves and Elliot as Hooker then the club has some serious issues. As scary as this is, if we get done by Newcastle next week then I’m tapping out for the rest of the year. I’ve had enough of this club sitting back watching this train wreck. Bloody embarrassing!
Bro - tbh - haven't seen the game and only have seen highlights and what the kid told me who sat through it. Was at a brothel - had my attention on other things. But to your points.
1) Never thought Naden was a good signing. Apart from the no fwits rule, think he's like Flanno. Made to look a lot better at his old club by the cattle around him. Avo hasn't been great but not Naden level either. Also different combo out there this week so maybe that makes a difference for Avo.
2) U need to have more focus here bro. This guy is the problem and a half. I'm struggling to think of a worse 9 in the comp. If you can name one 9 that you wouldn't swap for JMK in a heartbeat, I'll apologise.
3) My Saints neighbour told me you'd find out about Dufty soon. Told him I'd only seen good things. Need to apologise to him tomorrow.
4) 100%
5) You ask a guy who's done 1 thing well for 10 years and then get him to do something else for the last 2 and expect that he will nail it? This is on the Dogs coaching staff - per what Ennis said on Fox last week - you don't try to get players who aren't Penrith to do Penrith things. Find your own identity. Barrett isn't a coach, he's a fckng Penrith trainer.
6) Can say if you watch Burton with Penrith last year, happy man. This year, he's not enjoying it. Could be telling at the end of the year.
7) See point 2 and 5. The only way he's getting better is a better 9 and a better system. With a better system, he might improve but I'll refer to the Roosters on that one.

Barrett, the system and JMK has to go. 90/10 on Dufty (sort of hoping shame might turn it around). Reckon Flanno is not far behind.

So - we have a system we cannot play to and 3 out of the 4 spine should be somewhere else and the other spine member is not exactly fully tuned into 6 (and fair enough, we knew that as he's been playing other positions). And we are going to be competitive next week?

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
JMK had a great game tonight, loved his darts out of dummy half and made some good meters and tried hard as per usual..

FOX always wanting to get his hands on the ball an looking for opportunities to help us get a win, very busy

Burton had an ok game, still tried a few out of the box tricks which landed us our try

TPJ as per usual trying to meter eat and be aggressive and looking for offloads

all the above players absolutely played for the blue and white an stood out as the PASSION of the team.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Playing Averillo means the team is only playing with 12 players - he might be athletic but with every game he is proving he is not involved enough or aggressive enough to play first grade.
Thompson - ineffective and lazy in defense - same mistakes week after week - he cant move laterally with any urgency - tackle numbers up being the third man in.
Naden was and is a reserve grader
Flanagan inability or reluctance to run means he is a liability in attack - no threat at all - more pressure on those around him
Ava S - front row rotation - yet plays minimal minutes

I hope the club is exploring all ways and means of moving on quite a few of the players with one year left on contracts - as seems to be the case with JMK. Okunbor naden waddell flanagan dufty averillo thompson burns allan stimson would be well suited to SL.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My Summary.... we are coached by a bunch of assistants who lack in the game by game tactical department.

To go to Canberra last night with the same game plan to the week prior shows how inept they really are.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Rooster win last week is beyond void to me now. That was one step forward and last night was 3 steps back. Baz really just needs to go. When we win it’s because the other team doesn’t turn up and both wins had last try’s denied which we could be 0 wins this year if they won’t reviewed. We have never looked in control for a full 80 in any game since I can remember and if that’s what you call a rebuild then I’m like a lot of others. I’m out till this shit gets cleaned up. How much can a supporter do to stick around this rubble of a club.

Pottz

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
My summary

Damn this is a spot on post.

1. Naden was awful and although I’ve defended Averillo in the past he is just a passenger in this team, presumably there because of his ‘X factor’ which we haven’t seen for many many games. Surely he drops out for Kiraz as soon as that’s allowed.
2. I was surprised that JMK was taken off as early as he was (was still given 64 minutes though). BBO surely deserves a starting spot so he doesn’t have to try and boil the ocean in 10 minutes.
3. Dufty - you said it better than I can.
4. I hope TPJ never plays for anyone else. What a wrecking ball he is, and that offload with 3 tacklers on him and his elbow 5cm off the ground was beautiful.
5. This is the only comment I disagree with a bit. Jackson was better tonight I thought. Fewer minutes made him more effective, made 40 tackles and only 2 missed, managed a nice offload and didn’t make any errors. I also don’t remember him getting it on the 4th(?). Not saying he’s worth $750k or ever will be again but I don’t think he was a main offender last night.
6. Again - spot on. Burton did some special things, just praying we eventually put the team and effort around him to really let him off the leash.
7. Agree completely. He’s justifying his spot at the moment and I don’t see any justification for trying again with Averillo/Wakeham/BBO at 7. But his trajectory is currently pretty flat and it needs to start pointing up.

As for Barrett.. I really want to disagree but I’m running out of justification. It’s hard to pin blame from outside but not having the team up for this game, with the chance of two wins in a row and the wind at our backs from last week… whenever he’s on camera I see a guy who sees what’s happening, desperately wants to turn it around, but has no idea what else to do.

Reaction score
we played as individuals last night, not with and for each other.
time to give JAC the captaincy, we need someone who can regroup the team as the game unfolds

Snackdoogie

Waterboy
Reaction score
My summary

Agreed with all your points, hit the nail on the head. I do think though that TPJ should be playing up the middle as he is so much more effective there but we are missing another edge (Maybe RFM comes back - which would solve this issue).

Averillo needs stints back in the reserve grade for the rest of the year. If we are looking at who we can play at fullback it may be Corey Allen in that spot. I have stated it earlier in a thread that Averillo at fullback might be better than Dufty but again that's another huge role of the dice.

Another note is that the BBO experiment at 14 brings no value. He comes on with not so long to go in the game which allows defences to plan that he will really just be trying to dart from dummy half all the time which is too easy to read. I think it's time to bring in Joshua Cook into the 14 and have him share the minutes with JMK. The service JMK gives just is not at first grade quality, even seeing Frawley go through the middle was embarrassing.

All in all... Barrett has to claim some responsibility. If you cant figure out the achilles heel of our squad (yes we do have multiple) and not try and cover them up as best as possible... well then we deserve to lose like this.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Playing Averillo means the team is only playing with 12 players - he might be athletic but with every game he is proving he is not involved enough or aggressive enough to play first grade.
Thompson - ineffective and lazy in defense - same mistakes week after week - he cant move laterally with any urgency - tackle numbers up being the third man in.
Naden was and is a reserve grader
Flanagan inability or reluctance to run means he is a liability in attack - no threat at all - more pressure on those around him
Ava S - front row rotation - yet plays minimal minutes

I hope the club is exploring all ways and means of moving on quite a few of the players with one year left on contracts - as seems to be the case with JMK. Okunbor naden waddell flanagan dufty averillo thompson burns allan stimson would be well suited to SL.
And some people here think its a good idea to move thompson to the edge. With his lateral movement. Lol

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The biggest problem last night I thought was our ability to get out of our own half. Burton and JAC were able to make some space a few times but the other side of the field was totally ineffective. Naden has no real power run in him and both centres lack punch. Dufty is good in broken play but average at best with kick returns. at one point they had something like 30+ TACKLES to 1 inside the opposition 20. ew made ove 100 tackles more then the Raiders, which clearly took a toll. We are still short a good fullback and at least 1 tackle breaking centre.

We ran out of petrol a couple of times because of conditioning but all things considered defended pretty well. We just dont have punch coming out of our own end with a smallish back five that dont really have tackle bust power and rely on speed, so if Burto isnt on song with early deep kicks we get beaten for field advantage pretty easily.

Coach knumbnutts doesnt have any trick plays or tactic to overcome the issue other than probabaly the Pay model of run hard tackle hard..All our forwards excepy TPJ had low metres but they also had most runs trying to get out of our own 50.

To the Raiders credit they targeted then end of their sets well keeping us deep, but we should have maybe kicked long earlier a couple of times to try and break the pattern. Unfortunately while ever the club persists with the failed Barrett experiment and some of the dud assistants I think we can only look forward to the odd Gus rev up performance and not much more.

diddly

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The biggest problem last night I thought was our ability to get out of our own half. Burton and JAC were able to make some space a few times but the other side of the field was totally ineffective. Naden has no real power run in him and both centres lack punch. Dufty is good in broken play but average at best with kick returns. at one point they had something like 30+ TACKLES to 1 inside the opposition 20. ew made ove 100 tackles more then the Raiders, which clearly took a toll. We are still short a good fullback and at least 1 tackle breaking centre.

We ran out of petrol a couple of times because of conditioning but all things considered defended pretty well. We just dont have punch coming out of our own end with a smallish back five that dont really have tackle bust power and rely on speed, so if Burto isnt on song with early deep kicks we get beaten for field advantage pretty easily.

Coach knumbnutts doesnt have any trick plays or tactic to overcome the issue other than probabaly the Pay model of run hard tackle hard..All our forwards excepy TPJ had low metres but they also had most runs trying to get out of our own 50.

To the Raiders credit they targeted then end of their sets well keeping us deep, but we should have maybe kicked long earlier a couple of times to try and break the pattern. Unfortunately while ever the club persists with the failed Barrett experiment and some of the dud assistants I think we can only look forward to the odd Gus rev up performance and not much more.
I agree with the side struggling to get out of their own 50 - of the dogs back 5 only schoupp runs hard enough to challenge the gang tackling one out. Both Naden n dufty even with space in front of them jog up to the chasers then get driven backwards - even just running hard till they got tothe chaser would get more metres.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I agree with the side struggling to get out of their own 50 - of the dogs back 5 only schoupp runs hard enough to challenge the gang tackling one out. Both Naden n dufty even with space in front of them jog up to the chasers then get driven backwards - even just running hard till they got tothe chaser would get more metres.
You never see Teddy or Papenhuyzen jogging the kick returns, even if our blokes sprinted back and fell at the feet of the defence we would make heaps more yardage...