Opinion My personal opinion

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What of all the coaches before Maguire ?
From what I was reading he's played the most FG games without ever playing finals. I can't see him as the solution in this case and if we don't offload one of the others it's going to be a stretch in terms of the cap. Apparently he's on a deal worth $850k next year too so the tigers would need to put in a fair bit.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I am on the fence with this one, as long as hes cheap and its a short term deal as stop gap to developing BBO and burton yeah sure,But we are not a top four side with brooks at seven

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From what I was reading he's played the most FG games without ever playing finals. I can't see him as the solution in this case and if we don't offload one of the others it's going to be a stretch in terms of the cap. Apparently he's on a deal worth $850k next year too so the tigers would need to put in a fair bit.
I am not sure but I thought he was on 500k a season

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I am not sure but I thought he was on 500k a season
Actually just looking and it was a zero tackle article so probably BS. If we can get rid of one of our duds in return (Flanno/Wakeham) I can live with it otherwise we might be digging a bigger hole for ourselves.

The developments come despite Brooks being contracted with the Tigers until on the end of 2023 on a reported $850,000 per year.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah it's balanced, but not in the traditional sense of:
My Halfback is an organiser, who passes first, runs second and kicks us around the field.
My Five Eighth is a runner first, distributer second and the secondary kicking option.
My Fullback is a runner and if I have a good one, he can do some playmaking.

In this current version of the Storm it's balanced because 1,6 and 7 all pass, all kick, all run, all playmake, all organise.

I'm not suggesting we should try to replicate that exactly, we don't have the cattle yet - but I don't think we need to be tied to these traditional roles anymore where, if Brooks comes over, it's his job and his job alone to "game manage." Likewise we shouldn't be limiting Burton to only running etc.
What is traditional about the game these days ?
The hooker does what the old halfback used to do where the 1/2 & 5/8 have similar responsibilities one on the left and the other on the right, the modern fullback plays a combination of all, one thing never changes the fullback must be able to organize the team's defence !!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What is traditional about the game these days ?
The hooker does what the old halfback used to do where the 1/2 & 5/8 have similar responsibilities one on the left and the other on the right, the modern fullback plays a combination of all, one thing never changes the fullback must be able to organize the team's defence !!!
What does our fullback, half and 5/8 do?

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Yeah it's balanced, but not in the traditional sense of:
My Halfback is an organiser, who passes first, runs second and kicks us around the field.
My Five Eighth is a runner first, distributer second and the secondary kicking option.
My Fullback is a runner and if I have a good one, he can do some playmaking.

In this current version of the Storm it's balanced because 1,6 and 7 all pass, all kick, all run, all playmake, all organise.

I'm not suggesting we should try to replicate that exactly, we don't have the cattle yet - but I don't think we need to be tied to these traditional roles anymore where, if Brooks comes over, it's his job and his job alone to "game manage." Likewise we shouldn't be limiting Burton to only running etc.
Burton definitely looks like a brilliant cog for that sort of machine though, where all members of the spine can run, pass, kick, and contribute to game management and play making.

Psycho Doggie

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They will be a whole lot better for having him, assuming he stays injury free.
For too long their squad has been massively out of balance.
Hopefully our improvement will be better than theirs in 2022, however i am not confident at all that it will be the case.
Hope, not expectation, seems to be the way to go...

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The biggest problem for me is the total lack of any kind of stamp from Barrett. I would be less upset or concerned if we were seen to be attempting a different style of play or game plan even if it didn't work. If I am not mistaken, under Pay we were hit up for 3, Tolman on the 4th and bomb the shit out of it on tackle 5 if in their half. This year we are hit up for 3 or 4 and Bomb the shit out of it on 5...

No trick plays, no early tackle field position kicking, no different decoy plays, no targeting of specific opposition players or defense patterns, no mark of Barrett and so called attack coach genius. The only changes we have seen is the constant swapping in and out of halves and rotation of fullback.

At the very least if the boof heads we have are not up to the task to implement, we could all at least see something of the coaching ability he claims to have and be excited by the inclusion of new players next year. Instead it seems we will be relying on the new players to do it all themselves.

Then of course there is that ugly word... Defence.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Burton definitely looks like a brilliant cog for that sort of machine though, where all members of the spine can run, pass, kick, and contribute to game management and play making.
100%
I think theoretically Brooks could be as well

a dogs life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Nothing don’t get me wrong I’m not sold on him but we’d be even bigger losers to get him for 2023 and let him play another season at the Knights.
Yep fair enough. I always think of a player like Maloney as a winner. He had success wherever he went and I think he made players around him better. I know Pearce won a comp at the Rorters and they are a successful club these days, but I’ve never really considered him to be a winner. I really hope we don’t sign him.

gibbo2

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I acknowledge this mate, maybe there is hope for him on the other hand I have a feeling that Pearce is favourite for the job.
Yeah I have feeling we will go that Pearce way as well. Hopefully he is capable of better than he showed the other night. He looked very ordinary the other night. He is moving like an old
Pensioner

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yeah I have feeling we will go that Pearce way as well. Hopefully he is capable of better than he showed the other night. He looked very ordinary the other night. He is moving like an old
Pensioner
Let's hope he wouldn't need the wheelchair :tearsofjoy:

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks Brooks is a good idea, watch tales from tigertown. For a half he lacks leadership and isn't a dominant voice on the field or in the sheds. We need a half that is a strong leader and talker. Pearce fits the mould in terms of on field talker etc but I think it has to be 2022 or not at all. No point in going for him in 2023.

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks Brooks is a good idea, watch tales from tigertown. For a half he lacks leadership and isn't a dominant voice on the field or in the sheds. We need a half that is a strong leader and talker. Pearce fits the mould in terms of on field talker etc but I think it has to be 2022 or not at all. No point in going for him in 2023.
No one that's available is a perfect fit

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone see this

The Bulldogs contemplated throwing Ash Taylor a lifeline for next season earlier this month but are now unlikely to make a play on the Gold Coast’s $1 million-a-season playmaker.