Opinion My dad would have been proud!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
My father grew up in Canterbury and went to Canterbury boys high. He was a life long Bulldogs supporter. He was the only person in my life that really loved football and the Bulldogs club, because sadly, none of my friends are really into football. (fucking ridiculous right?)
Sadly, my dad suddenly became ill and passed away in early December, and I will dearly miss him! I will miss those chats we would have after a win or a loss, a new signing, or about our seasons chances.
Given the letter that Dean Pay has penned to us fans recently, I have been thinking of my old man a lot, and I know how proud he would be of where our club is at right now.
We really are on the way up, and it looks to have been a great choice by our club members to vote in the new board including Lynn and Chris Anderson, and a great choice by these leaders to bring Dean Pay back to the club as coach.
I'm not sharing this story to invite your sympathies, I'm writing this story because like my father, I am also very proud of where our club is at right now.
I also want to thank you all for being a part of this forum as it is now the only place where I can share my love and passion for our great club.

GO THE DOGGIES!!!!!
My wonderful father Denis who also went to Canterbury boys passed unexpectedly 30 August last year.

So I to know how you feel about a new season without your old man. It won't be the same.

Luckly dad's last game, which we watched together, was the big win over St George.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm with you.
My dad, who lived his early life within walking distance from Belmore Oval, passed away 2 months after the 2004 Grand Final, my son was there with us, making 3 generations. Hopefully there will be 3 generations of us at the next Grand Final win, with the 4th looking down as I know he will.

Go Dogs
My Dad & I were at the 2004 grand final.
Great time.
I will certainly be thinking of the old man 1st game of the season, like I do every day, but with a bit of extra sense of loss.

Cheers for your dad.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss flamboyant. My dad had a minor stroke last year. Scared the crap out of me and my parents mortality plays on my mind a bit more than I want it to since. But children are the sum of those that raise them and you seem like a great fellow so i guess he was also a great fellow.

If you ever need an ear to bash about the dogs or anything drop me a private message and I'll give you my contact details. I promise I won't send nudes or nuffin

Always happy to chat about the dogs mate.

berriesfan

Waterboy
Reaction score
Realky nice post. My parents hate footy and my mum really hates the Bulldogs. Wish they could have been taken instead.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know how others are feeling.

I don't look forward to the footy as much now since my Dad died in June 2017.

Can't talk to him about the new players etc coming through, can't ask him about his thought on the change of coach etc.

(OK, I do ask, but he doesn't answer) :disrelieved: :cry:

Fuck I miss him so much.

They say it gets easier, they fucking lied.

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My father grew up in Canterbury and went to Canterbury boys high. He was a life long Bulldogs supporter. He was the only person in my life that really loved football and the Bulldogs club, because sadly, none of my friends are really into football. (fucking ridiculous right?)
Sadly, my dad suddenly became ill and passed away in early December, and I will dearly miss him! I will miss those chats we would have after a win or a loss, a new signing, or about our seasons chances.
Given the letter that Dean Pay has penned to us fans recently, I have been thinking of my old man a lot, and I know how proud he would be of where our club is at right now.
We really are on the way up, and it looks to have been a great choice by our club members to vote in the new board including Lynn and Chris Anderson, and a great choice by these leaders to bring Dean Pay back to the club as coach.
I'm not sharing this story to invite your sympathies, I'm writing this story because like my father, I am also very proud of where our club is at right now.
I also want to thank you all for being a part of this forum as it is now the only place where I can share my love and passion for our great club.

GO THE DOGGIES!!!!!
That was a great post Flame,
I would like to pass on my condolences to you and your family mate.
My dad passed away 27 years ago,he was way too young
He wasn’t into sport but still took me to all the dogs games when I was young
Never forget those early days
I was born and lived in Canterbury
Also attended Canterbury Primary & Canterbury Boys
Fantastic memories
Take care

Ant2611

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What is fantastic is that there is not one angry word in any post. Us kennelers even though sometimes argue, just like a family, always come together when there is an important or personal issue being posted go the dogs

JOHNY BULLDOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss mate,I'm still lucky to have my old man,we were only talking on the weekend about the Doggies chances this year and I love to have those conversations especially after a win.Life sux at times bro...hope a few wins this year help ease your pain a bit.

Rychi

New Pup
Reaction score

GO THE DOGGIES!!!!!
Thanks for your post mate inspired me this morning. Sorry for your loss and also to everyone that has shared their family stories too.

This is my first post on The Kennel. Watched the 95 and 14 wins with my grandparents on both sides but they have sadly all passed now. Used to have regular in depth conversations with my Pop and he used to tell me stories from back in the Berries days and beyond having grown up around Belmore. My parents also grew up in the area. This thread made me remember many happy memories.

Do agree with you that we are well on the way up and to being the “Family Club” again. More excited for the season ahead then I have been in a number of years. Bring on the weekend and rnd 1. Up the Doggies!!!

JOHNY BULLDOG

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Thanks for your post mate inspired me this morning. Sorry for your loss and also to everyone that has shared their family stories too.

This is my first post on The Kennel. Watched the 95 and 14 wins with my grandparents on both sides but they have sadly all passed now. Used to have regular in depth conversations with my Pop and he used to tell me stories from back in the Berries days and beyond having grown up around Belmore. My parents also grew up in the area. This thread made me remember many happy memories.

Do agree with you that we are well on the way up and to being the “Family Club” again. More excited for the season ahead then I have been in a number of years. Bring on the weekend and rnd 1. Up the Doggies!!!
Welcome aboard mate,I haven't been on The Kennel long but it's like family & my second home-GO THE MIGHTY DOGGIES.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Will do!! Thanks again for your help. How are you and your wife holding up?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss flamboyant. My dad had a minor stroke last year. Scared the crap out of me and my parents mortality plays on my mind a bit more than I want it to since. But children are the sum of those that raise them and you seem like a great fellow so i guess he was also a great fellow.

If you ever need an ear to bash about the dogs or anything drop me a private message and I'll give you my contact details. I promise I won't send nudes or nuffin

Always happy to chat about the dogs mate.
Cheers Alan. I really appreciate your sincere words. I know they are genuine because you see a top bloke too.
Hope your old man is doing ok since his stroke? Is he getting on?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I know how others are feeling.

I don't look forward to the footy as much now since my Dad died in June 2017.

Can't talk to him about the new players etc coming through, can't ask him about his thought on the change of coach etc.

(OK, I do ask, but he doesn't answer) :disrelieved: :cry:

Fuck I miss him so much.

They say it gets easier, they fucking lied.
Keep your head up Kaz, it will get easier. Rust me. I lost my only brother a while back and that was really tough! But time passes and over the years it has definitely become easier.
Stay strong!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
That was a great post Flame,
I would like to pass on my condolences to you and your family mate.
My dad passed away 27 years ago,he was way too young
He wasn’t into sport but still took me to all the dogs games when I was young
Never forget those early days
I was born and lived in Canterbury
Also attended Canterbury Primary & Canterbury Boys
Fantastic memories
Take care
Cheers mate. Wow, you must have been very young yourself? Sorry to hear it mate.
How was it that you became a Bulldogs fan then? I know for me it was definitely my dad.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What is fantastic is that there is not one angry word in any post. Us kennelers even though sometimes argue, just like a family, always come together when there is an important or personal issue being posted go the dogs
So true mate. I know I have strong opinions on certain things, and I'm at loggerheads with people at times, but that's healthy conversation. So long as it doesn't deteriorate into abuse and name calling of course.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss mate,I'm still lucky to have my old man,we were only talking on the weekend about the Doggies chances this year and I love to have those conversations especially after a win.Life sux at times bro...hope a few wins this year help ease your pain a bit.
Cheers Johnny. I appreciate it.
Cherish those moments mate, they can disappear real quick unfortunately.
I'm confident we will surprise a lot of people and have a great year!
Go the Doggies!!!