Opinion My dad would have been proud!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Thanks for your post mate inspired me this morning. Sorry for your loss and also to everyone that has shared their family stories too.

This is my first post on The Kennel. Watched the 95 and 14 wins with my grandparents on both sides but they have sadly all passed now. Used to have regular in depth conversations with my Pop and he used to tell me stories from back in the Berries days and beyond having grown up around Belmore. My parents also grew up in the area. This thread made me remember many happy memories.

Do agree with you that we are well on the way up and to being the “Family Club” again. More excited for the season ahead then I have been in a number of years. Bring on the weekend and rnd 1. Up the Doggies!!!
First of all, welcome to the Kennel mate. Thanks for your kind words. Glad my post brought some inspiration to your day!
My dad and I always talked footy and he would tell me about the old days, so I am certain you really enjoyed those chats as well.
I think our club is in really good hands, and I have no doubt success will not be far away.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cheers Alan. I really appreciate your sincere words. I know they are genuine because you see a top bloke too.
Hope your old man is doing ok since his stroke? Is he getting on?
He seems fully recovered. But for a couple of days he was forgetting people's names. My stepmother got him to the hospital really quick which helped. They put him on some meds, blood thinners i think. But he seems fine now. I'm going to Dubbo this weekend so I get to have a catch up.

Superuber

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, losing your father is very hard to get over but I pray that you are able to draw strength from God and also the bulldogs family to help you cope.
Anyway It’s not a big a deal compared to your loss but I just want to highlight that it wasn’t the current board that signed Pay. Please forgive me if mentioning that has upset you.

_BT_

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your loss mate. Must be tough without them both?!
Lucky we have a place like the Kennel to discuss our team.
Sorry for your loss too mate. Your OP got me pretty emotional tbh.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss champ, never any easy thing to deal with. I have mentioned on here before that I have unfortunately lost my father, mother and brother. We were all passionate Bulldogs supporters, especially my brother. It definitely made supporting the Bulldogs hard after each one passed away as we would always discuss together all the going ons with the club and watch the games together religiously. Even though I don't have any immediate family I am happy to have my Kennel family here to discuss my love for the Bulldogs and everything inbetween and be able to somewhat have that void filled of talking about our team.

We are the family club and we are coming back baby!! Go the Doggies!!

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Cheers mate. Wow, you must have been very young yourself? Sorry to hear it mate.
How was it that you became a Bulldogs fan then? I know for me it was definitely my dad.
Hi Brother
Growing up in the heart of bulldogs country was the best back in the 80’s
All my friends at Canterbury boys were big supporters
Blue and white forever in my veins

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
My father was also a lifelong Dogs fan before he passed in 2008. He is still with me every game in spirit.

His favourite player was Steve Mortimer. He would rave on about his cover defence especially and how my brother and I should try replicate this in our own games, rolling tyre tubes down the sidelines for us to practice our technique.

I miss talking footy with him but I am grateful for my Bulldogs mates here at TK. Nobody really understands a dogs fan but a dogs fan.
Same here Buddy we have a lot in common !!

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Plenty of doubting from the so called experts but am impressed by the attitude the club is adopting, the winning culture is showing through, Canterbury doesn't lie down.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He seems fully recovered. But for a couple of days he was forgetting people's names. My stepmother got him to the hospital really quick which helped. They put him on some meds, blood thinners i think. But he seems fine now. I'm going to Dubbo this weekend so I get to have a catch up.
Glad to hear it mate. Hopefully he has plenty of life left!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry for your loss, losing your father is very hard to get over but I pray that you are able to draw strength from God and also the bulldogs family to help you cope.
Anyway It’s not a big a deal compared to your loss but I just want to highlight that it wasn’t the current board that signed Pay. Please forgive me if mentioning that has upset you.
Not at all. You may be right actually. But they also brought him to the club. Lol

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your loss champ, never any easy thing to deal with. I have mentioned on here before that I have unfortunately lost my father, mother and brother. We were all passionate Bulldogs supporters, especially my brother. It definitely made supporting the Bulldogs hard after each one passed away as we would always discuss together all the going ons with the club and watch the games together religiously. Even though I don't have any immediate family I am happy to have my Kennel family here to discuss my love for the Bulldogs and everything inbetween and be able to somewhat have that void filled of talking about our team.

We are the family club and we are coming back baby!! Go the Doggies!!
Fuck bro, that's tough!! I lost my younger brother a while back as well. Life can be tough. But someone else is always doing it tougher. I take solace in this, and moments like this makes think of others instead of myself.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hi Brother
Growing up in the heart of bulldogs country was the best back in the 80’s
All my friends at Canterbury boys were big supporters
Blue and white forever in my veins
Would have been awesome growing up there in the 80s!!!!

Steve M

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Will do!! Thanks again for your help. How are you and your wife holding up?
All good here mate. Her mum is struggling but we are all looking after her.
I hope the Dogs do your Dad proud this year.
You’re a good man Uri, give me a call if you’re in Sydney.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
All good here mate. Her mum is struggling but we are all looking after her.
I hope the Dogs do your Dad proud this year.
You’re a good man Uri, give me a call if you’re in Sydney.
Yeah I'm sure she is mate. My dad's girlfriend is probably doing it tougher then us kids in many ways.
Cheers mate. I really appreciate that. Your a good man too. Thanks for your help. I'll be in touch next time I'm down Sydney way.

Wholetthedogsout

Waterboy
Reaction score
Its a special bond that a dad and son, (or dad and daughter for that matter) share. They imprint in us a love for the things they enjoy. My dad was an AFL guy and his team the hawks won the grand final the year after he passed, I like to think he was pulling some strings up above to make that happen. Maybe your dad will do the same for the doggies.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Its a special bond that a dad and son, (or dad and daughter for that matter) share. They imprint in us a love for the things they enjoy. My dad was an AFL guy and his team the hawks won the grand final the year after he passed, I like to think he was pulling some strings up above to make that happen. Maybe your dad will do the same for the doggies.
It certainly is mate. Let's hope so.