Not open for further replies.

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
MVPs of 2014: Tony Williams
Nigel Wall Friday, February 07, 2014 6:00:00 AM
Source: Official NRL website

Can Tony 'T-Rex' Williams once again become the devastating force he once was?
As we count down to season 2014, NRL.com identifies 30 players who will be crucial to their team's fortunes this year. From new faces to rising stars to proven performers who will need to lift this season, these are our 'MVPs' for 2014.

It seems inconceivable but after a surprisingly less-than-dynamic 2013 NRL season, Bulldogs hard man Tony Williams finds himself outside the representative selectors' crosshairs for even a NSW jersey. This is the man who just a few years ago was touted as the best back-rower in the world, an unstoppable behemoth who terrorised defences with a particular penchant for steamrolling defenders into the dirt within 10 metres of the opposition try line.

Inexplicably, 'T-Rex' lost more than a few of his teeth last season, failing to make any great impact in his first year for the blue and whites. But he certainly has the potential to reclaim his superstar status, which saw him cross for a whopping 39 tries in 84 games for the Eels and Sea Eagles before his highly scrutinised defection to rejoin former mentor Des Hasler at Belmore.

And he'll need to regain his mojo if Canterbury are to be a force in 2014. X-factor star Ben Barba's exit leaves them a little flimsy for brilliance on the edges, which means they'll likely need to rely on more brute force on the fringes to post a deal of their points. That's Williams to a 'T'.

There were cameos of his powerful best in 2013, including a blockbusting effort in Round 21 against the Dragons when he notched two line breaks, an offload and two tries in his 47 minutes on the field. But his early season form left a lot to be desired and coach Hasler would have spent a deal of the off-season reinforcing this in conversations with his go-to man.

For whatever reason, Williams showed alarming lethargy early in 2013. In their season opener with the Cowboys he was guilty of loitering as Johnathan Thurston put teammate Gavin Cooper over for a try within the opening 20 minutes. Later in the same game he butchered a try-scoring opportunity he ordinarily would have devoured, then clumsily lost possession. And against his former team Manly in Round 5 his lazy defence enabled Brett Stewart to scoot clear, with Jamie Lyon ending up scoring.

Williams registered a meagre gain of just 76 metres per game with the ball in hand last year, way down on his 110 metres from the previous season. More concerning was the fact he averaged fewer than three tackle busts throughout the year – way down on his best (he's been known to nudge double numbers in the category).

Importantly, Williams will enter 2014 fit and raring to go following some minor ankle surgery in the off-season (suggesting he'll improve on his average game time of 65 minutes from 2013).

A real confidence player, Williams needs to get on the front foot early, hitting the line with more than two strides' wind-up. If he does, watch his teammates grow in confidence too, and the Bulldogs press for a spot high up the ladder in the opening two months.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I feel that he will have a good season this year... expecting big things!

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Tony Williams finds himself outside the representative selectors' crosshairs for even a NSW jersey
Haha, that pretty much sums up NSW right there. You know you're terrible if you don't even get selected for the worst state team there is.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Haha, that pretty much sums up NSW right there. You know you're terrible if you don't even get selected for the worst state team there is.
If he can recapture his destructive form then I don't see why he can't be on the NSW team again haha

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hahahahahaha @ the thread title.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I droll of the idea of T Rex (not what we had last year though the player the past couple seasons) playing like he can and should with Kas, Jammer, Pritchard, Eastwood, Fincuane, Klemmer, Burr, Mataiu, Tolman, Jackson etc. Would be a ****ing site to see.

Even with Barba gone if T Rex steps up to what he can be we should be able to improve purely with Graham & Kas back for the first 2 months & Frank the first. Hopefully a healthy year! Fullback is still a concern though we just gotta trust Des cause we CLEARLY AREN'T signing anyone.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He showed glimpses of greatness but I wouldn't hold your breath expecting him to fire.

GeneralLee01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
T. rex coming out of the jungle this season would be a dream for all Doggies fans including his team mates.

GeneralLee01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
How do the stars, coloured dashes and rankings work, under our login alias's? How are the achieved?

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not holding my breath. He may have a couple of good games but he wont be the saviour.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Coached by the worst NSW coach in a long time as well. The next NSW coach will hopefully have some club experience and not just a few games with the Indigenous Team and Country Origin.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm not holding my breath. He may have a couple of good games but he wont be the saviour.
I am not holding my breath about T Rex either Wolfmother. He has a lot of credibility to make up after last year's lack of form.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
If he is half as committed as he appears with his far better looking fitness (at least that I've seen) then he will improve dramatically and hopefully back to what he can do!

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a good friend who works for one of their major sponsors, who told me he had, let's say, some "issues"off the field and not just on it! Pardon the pun.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just want to know why he was so sh*t last year. It was very strage for a player to come off the boil THAT much. He went from a great player to someone who, if it was his first year in FG or even NSW cup, would be simply punted.
The fact Stagg was moved on because of him really irks me.
But how good is he really? How many of these barnstorming seasons did he actually have? I really am not sure but it would not have been more than 1 or 2. He seemed to be ordinary ever since he got that massive suspension for Manly in 2012 I believe.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I have a good friend who works for one of their major sponsors, who told me he had, let's say, some "issues"off the field and not just on it! Pardon the pun.
Yeah, there were a few things mentioned last year mainly family issues.

simooo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Williams is far from a 'hard man'. Hope he has a better year this year. He owes it to the club and the fans.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
He could be as big an impact man as SBW was for us. Maybe he had off-field problems last year- I don't know. I don't blindly follow rumours about who did what.

He needs to be old-fashioned, and put his problems behind him when he is doing what he's paid to do. I don't think our structure last year was really set up to allow him to perform to his best. I'm trusting that Des will have changed our attacking options; otherwise, opposition coaches will just pull out 2013's game plan to neutralise us.

Old Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He could be as big an impact man as SBW was for us. Maybe he had off-field problems last year- I don't know. I don't blindly follow rumours about who did what.

He needs to be old-fashioned, and put his problems behind him when he is doing what he's paid to do. I don't think our structure last year was really set up to allow him to perform to his best. I'm trusting that Des will have changed our attacking options; otherwise, opposition coaches will just pull out 2013's game plan to neutralise us.
Des HAS changed our attacking structure. James Graham is a big part of that.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah, there were a few things mentioned last year mainly family issues.
Family issues I was aware about, but he told me something else, where maybe the family issues was stemmed from that. Not sure if it was raised here or not. I should probably just leave it at that. Hope the guy has a blinder of a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.