MVPs of 2014: Josh Reynolds

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
As we count down to season 2014, NRL.com identifies 30 players who will be crucial to their team's fortunes this year. From new faces to rising stars to proven performers who will need to lift this season, these are our MVPs for 2014.

It's particularly telling that Josh Reynolds was openly upset about Ben Barba's controversial exit from Belmore last spring. Without the explosive fullback at the Bulldogs in 2014, will Reynolds manage to keep up the form that earned him NSW Origin selection last season?

With that fact in mind, we open this MVP nomination with a piece of Bulldogs trivia: which one-time prodigy managed to spend 160 minutes on the field with legendary fullback Rod Silva? Here's a clue: he's still (barely) running around today, but lasted long enough to score 46 points in an unofficial Test match over the summer.

It may have only been against Hungary, but Braith Anasta's massive performance in that game shows there is still life in the Wests Tigers veteran yet.

And Anasta could well be the proof that Reynolds can still succeed without Barba playing alongside him.

Okay, we realise we're drawing quite a delicately long straw here but hear us out: Rocket Rod was the Dally M Fullback of the Year in 1993, won a premiership with the Bulldogs in 1995, and appeared in another grand final two years later. In every essence he was the jack-in-the-box type, not unlike one Ben Barba, who was the darling of the NRL just 12 months ago.

Josh Reynolds isn't far off how old Braith Anasta was when he debuted alongside Silva in 2000. Like Anasta, Reynolds is a running five-eighth, the kind that takes half the defence to bring down after he's made more dents in it than a Saturday at your local smash repairs.

Like Anasta, Reynolds is a representative player no less than three seasons into his career (Anasta did it in two).

And, like Anasta, he's done it with a fullback who has a reputation for making defenders tackle air.

Just two games into the Silva-Anasta combination, the indigenous star announced his retirement. The veteran No. 1 was shunted to centre in Anasta's debut in 2000. He played his final game in the last round of the regular season the following year.

Anasta went on to enjoy a somewhat decorated career that included 10 Origins, four Tests, one premiership, and two grand finals. Come March, the former Roosters will enter his 15th and probably final season of first grade wearing the same jumper famously worn by Benji Marshall for so many years at Leichhardt.

In contrast, Reynolds will be welcomed into his fourth season of NRL in 2014 as one of the leading five-eighths in the competition.

Last year, the local junior was equal first among five-eighths in tries and offloads, second in tackle breaks and equal second in line breaks. And with Barba now gone, much of the Bulldogs' offensive ability will revolve around the direct-playing No.6.

It's a situation not too dissimilar at the beginning of the 2002 season when a young Anasta and his Bulldogs side, without Silva, tallied 45 competition points.

History will tell you salary cap breaches meant that team finished at the bottom of the ladder. What it won't tell you was how Anasta truly came of age that season and went on to have a fruitful first grade career, and why Josh Reynolds is set for the biggest season of his career so far.

http://www.nrl.com/mvps-of-2014-josh-reynolds/tabid/10874/newsid/75983/default.aspx

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Nice read, but a load of rubbish.
I wish josh all the best, but his career can not be defined by that of another. It's just a load of dribble,

Anyway, tear it up this year, I hope josh goes on to bigger and better things than Anasta did, and I hope josh becomes a one club player.

Bulldogs09

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Draft Champion
Reaction score
I too hope the above, I also hope he has a title like Anasta has with us.

I am not a huge Anasta fan, though I've always felt he's copped the short end of the stick from people. I have a Rooster fan who was always against him and while he might not be what he was he still played some great footy for them and us. Tigers well that's a whole different story.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Theres little doubt in the mind of good judges that Josh Reynolds is the heart and soul of the Bulldogs. When he fires (which is pretty often) then the dogs also fire. He will be lethal this year. He will be a great combination with either Inu or Templeman at fullback. Without the obvious distraction of the Barba debacle, the dogs are ready to pounce. This will be a great year.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Man.... this is one shitty article.

These are the only 2 games they played together:

Friday, June 2nd, 2000 vs Eels (Braith came off the bench)

Friday, August 31st, 2001 vs Dragons (Rod Silva played last game off the wing)

Hardly a similarity between Barba/Reynolds.

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
"but Braith Anasta's massive performance in that game shows there is still life in the Wests Tigers veteran yet."

hahahahahahaha i had to laugh at this bit.

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh Reynolds is josh Reynolds and he is good enough to pave his own way through the history books of NRL. He doesn't need Barba, or a flash fullback, the kid is gritty and a great ****ing player. He will be captain of the dogs when Frankie and ennis retire. He will be a dog for life.

mearsey

panania raised
Reaction score
If Joshey can tidy up the rhs defence without the rush up he will go a long way to being our best player , he can fire the team up himself , make breaks and start attacking himself especially when the team is flat - which we had seen many many many times last year - the 3 games v oldcastle come to mind .

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Very odd article. All that talk about Anasta and Silva made no sense to me, its just weird.

And anyway, IMO, judging by the difference in our performance when he was absent, Graham is the MVP in our team. Not Anasta....erm i mean Reynolds.

Reaction score
what a pile of bullshit. there's a reason why anasta has always been called over-rated

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
what a pile of bullshit. there's a reason why anasta has always been called over-rated
Not true,
He was consistent and high quality between 2001 to 2004,
I agree, his form since then has not been as good but he has had moments of awesome occasionally since then, like that epic prelim final against the tigers to get into the gf, 2010 I think. Honestly, if it wasn't for Anasta, no gf for chooks that year in my opinion.

He was called over rated, cause 2001 wad his best season, and everyone expected him to be better than Freddy fittler,
That was a tall order, and doomed him,

I have always considered him a competitor, he would play on with in jury's that would sideline other players,

I think Anasta is unfairly criticised and had been his entire career.

I don't think he is a super star of our game, and is never have thought of him that way, but he is better than average, and he never deserved to have un achievable expectations placed on him, I have never seen a player ever get more criticism before for not living up to the expectations of others,

I agree he is not as good a fittler or Joey or Thurston, and he was never going to be, but he is heaps better than your average 5/8th, or lock/second rower,

Honestly, he is one player I wish we never lost.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
IMO Barba's early season rehab plus making it obvious that he wanted out (I want to be close to my kids... crap) plus assaulting his wife upset the entire team, not just Josh Reynolds. I think that Krisnan Inu's two totally out of character brain snaps that got him a seven week holiday was an indication of uneasy feeling that affected the entire team.

Add to that half the pack were injured at the beginning of the season and Bupa was serving a suspension for dining out with Slater.

In hindsight its easy to see that 2013 was never going to be a good season for us. But one thing the Bulldogs have an ability of is coming back hard after adversity. This is history but its not ancient... In 2002 we had all our competition points stripped after the salary cap scandal and in early 2004 we had the Coffs Harbour rape scandal of which after a police investigation our players were innocent. That same year we won the premiership.

We were minor premiers and grand finalists in 2012 and we still have Des Hasler as coach. There is no reason why 2014 wont be a big year for us.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
IMO Barba's early season rehab plus making it obvious that he wanted out (I want to be close to my kids... crap) plus assaulting his wife upset the entire team, not just Josh Reynolds. I think that Krisnan Inu's two totally out of character brain snaps that got him a seven week holiday was an indication of uneasy feeling that affected the entire team.

Add to that half the pack were injured at the beginning of the season and Bupa was serving a suspension for dining out with Slater.

In hindsight its easy to see that 2013 was never going to be a good season for us. But one thing the Bulldogs have an ability of is coming back hard after adversity. This is history but its not ancient... In 2002 we had all our competition points stripped after the salary cap scandal and in early 2004 we had the Coffs Harbour rape scandal of which after a police investigation our players were innocent. That same year we won the premiership.

We were minor premiers and grand finalists in 2012 and we still have Des Hasler as coach. There is no reason why 2014 wont be a big year for us.
I might be out of line, but anything less than a prelim final for us, I will consider a failed season, I honestly believe we are a top 4 team,
A gf would be awesome, but anything less than prelim to me is a failed season, and despite our 2013 issues that are all valid, the way we lost to the knights was shocking and we should have gone better than that despite our season.

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Odd article. Anasta and Reynolds are very different in build and attitude. Difficult to find parallels between the two.

Best that Josh just works out his own style.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Odd article. Anasta and Reynolds are very different in build and attitude. Difficult to find parallels between the two.

Best that Josh just works out his own style.
Couldn't agree more,

Reaction score
Not true,
He was consistent and high quality between 2001 to 2004,
I agree, his form since then has not been as good but he has had moments of awesome occasionally since then, like that epic prelim final against the tigers to get into the gf, 2010 I think. Honestly, if it wasn't for Anasta, no gf for chooks that year in my opinion.

He was called over rated, cause 2001 wad his best season, and everyone expected him to be better than Freddy fittler,
That was a tall order, and doomed him,

I have always considered him a competitor, he would play on with in jury's that would sideline other players,

I think Anasta is unfairly criticised and had been his entire career.

I don't think he is a super star of our game, and is never have thought of him that way, but he is better than average, and he never deserved to have un achievable expectations placed on him, I have never seen a player ever get more criticism before for not living up to the expectations of others,

I agree he is not as good a fittler or Joey or Thurston, and he was never going to be, but he is heaps better than your average 5/8th, or lock/second rower,

Honestly, he is one player I wish we never lost.
i thought his debut game was good, then downhill from there, plus he's a wanker

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I wish Josh the best for 2014 and beyond.. but I think we all have pretty lofty expectations (myself included).

Stargate44

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
OMFG Anasta was in a winning GF , Reynolds hasn't . how about you give the man SOME FEKING CREDIT......... At least HE PLAYED IN THE BLUE AND WHITE AND WON A GF...........
My god hate to be in the trenches with some of you blokes...........

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I might be out of line, but anything less than a prelim final for us, I will consider a failed season, I honestly believe we are a top 4 team,
A gf would be awesome, but anything less than prelim to me is a failed season, and despite our 2013 issues that are all valid, the way we lost to the knights was shocking and we should have gone better than that despite our season.
Success in the NRL is determined by a club's forward power. On paper we have one of the best packs in the comp, although this is offset by weaknesses at half back, wing and fullback. On the up side Hasler has the coaching skill to have these players cashing in on their assets, not worrying about any imagined liabilities.

If our forwards do their part the rest should fall into place.

Status
Not open for further replies.