News MR SIX PER CENT! BULLDOGS ONLY WIN ONE FROM 15 GAMES UNDER SUTTON

Dogs4eva13

Previously James Cochrane
Reaction score
NRL will double down.
We'll get Sutton for the majority of our remaining games.
At least the NRL has a policy where you can't get the same ref in cack to back games, so at least it will be some other scumbag this week.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Telegraph Sport

He is Mr Six Per Cent – a leading referee with an abnormal record controlling one NRL club over nearly a decade.

The Bulldogs have won just one of their past 15 games under referee Gerard Sutton – a success rate of just six per cent dating back to round to round 2, 2016.

It is the worst current-day record between any club and referee.

Canterbury’s win rate jumps remarkably to 34.5 per cent over the same period in games when Sutton was not the referee. That is 61 wins from 177 matches.

The Bulldogs’ record under Sutton didn’t improve last Friday afternoon when they lost to South Sydney at Accor Stadium.

“I was aware of the record under Gerard before the game,” Bulldogs coach Cameron Ciraldo said.

“We can tell ourselves that certain referees don’t like us and the world is against us but that’s not going to help.”

Canterbury’s history with Sutton goes back even further.

He was in charge of the famous Good Friday game in 2015 when James Graham pointed his knuckle at the referee after Sutton awarded a match-winning penalty to Souths. The Bulldogs captain had made contact with Adam Reynolds when he attempted to kick a field goal.

Later that year, Graham and Sutton again locked heads when he gave a crucial penalty to the Sharks in the closing stages of another close loss. This time, Josh Reynolds made contact with Valentine Holmes as he attempted a field goal.

The NRL will name its referees for round 5 on Tuesday afternoon. Will Sutton be given Canterbury’s big Friday night game against Sydney Roosters at Accor Stadium?

There was a stretch between 2016 and 2019 when the Bulldogs lost nine successive games under Sutton.

Canterbury’s horrid record isn’t an insinuation Sutton is a poor referee. He has controlled seven grand finals, 22 State of Origin games and 21 Test matches.

And the Bulldogs’ overall record since 2020 is substandard. The club has won 21 of 96 games for a win a ratio of just 21.8 per cent.

Canterbury has a poor record under several referees but Sutton’s strike rate is by far the worst and it has Bulldogs officials concerned and frustrated.

“But to be fair, our record hasn’t been great overall anyway,” Ciraldo said.

“We need to worry about what we can control and we’re doing that.

“We’ll just keep working hard and be ready to play anyone, anywhere, any time under any referee.”

The Bulldogs’ only win under Sutton since 2016 was against St George Illawarra in 2021.

Since 2020, Canterbury has been favourite in 11 games and won seven of them.

One NRL coach offered reasons why a club could have such a poor record under an individual referee.

“Perhaps it’s the trends in the game,” the coach said.

“Sometimes players and referees are on different pages, style-wise.

“Players from lower clubs think they never get the rub of the green.

“Maybe it’s just the players but certainly one from 15 is a damning stat. It’s a hard one.”

Canterbury’s record under Gerard Sutton

Year Rnd Opp Result

2016 24 Brisbane L

2017 1 Melbourne L

2017 8 Wests Tigers L

2017 11 Roosters L

2018 2 Roosters L

2018 7 Roosters L

2018 9 Brisbane L

2019 5 Dragons L

2019 13 Dragons L

2021 14 Dragons W

2021 16 Manly L

2022 6 Souths L

2023 6 Souths L

2023 25 Canberra L

2024 4 Souths L
Just A Quick comment. For many years the NRL and the ARL prior to that have tried to avoid a situation where any club gets the same referee 2 weeks in a row. Yes it happens sometimes, usually in finals games.

Therefore I believe Sutton won’t be the referee for this weeks game.

Last edited:

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm sure when we beat Manly Rd 1 2016, he was the ref for that game.

Sent from my SM-A235F using Tapatalk
That‘s correct. We didn’t win under him again until the Saints game mentioned in an earlier post.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And yet the NRL will keep appointing him to our games and pretend like there's no issue.

But please remember, gamble responsibly.
Gamble responsibly...Lose your money your family's and your friend's only :(

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
surely had to be dropped after last weekend + he was honestly that bad there needs to be an investigation and it's a recurring trend... we still should of won even with how corrupt the referee was tho.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
What is great about this article is that it pushes the NRL to act on it without conceding anything was untoward. That is what I am hoping anyway.

When you present statistics of that period and reference it to the win% with other refs, plus realise there was an event that contributed to the bias on that infamous Good Friday, it is incredibly damning.

Confirmation bias is science. Sutton is human and he is allowed to hate us. He does hate us based on the stats lol So NRL just need to do the right thing and fuck him off away from our matches.

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I wonder what is more effective - the club tiptoeing around the issue with innuendo (at least I'm hoping this is the club trying to take matters into their own hands and change the narrative to fix our referring woes) or a Todd Payton style blow up post-match.
Got to handle this head on… the other stat would be…are there any other clubs with a similar bias?

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
Fox Sports have an online chat going atm - just put this up on it. Interesting to see what comes of it (if anything).

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Another crooked referee will take over from him, remember him taking over from horrible Harrigan ?
I remember ringing Talkin Sport years ago about Harrigan. Graeme went on and on about him being the best ever referee.

I pointed out that the Bulldogs had a 30% win rate under him, and he seemed a bit surprised.

I viewed our record under Harrigan as a clash of styles. We liked a forward dominated game, and he liked a fast tempo game, which in that era suited the Bronocs. Our record under him in his later years improved a bit.

It‘s not the same problem with Golden Boy Sutton.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No good for the betting agencies if this comes out.

Harry Oz

Kennel Established
Reaction score
No good for the betting agencies if this comes out.
Don't worry, serious punters have worked it out.

And the NRL knows it too. It's why so many 'news' stories on the nrl.com page are about 'explaining' refereeing decisions.
Trying to period they're transparent when in fact they have a problem and they need to spin their way out of it.
The NRL has tied itself to gambling to justify the mega-salaries of NRL execs.
And needs to keep the spin going to distract punters the impact dismal refereeing has on their bets.

Bluebody

The Strategist
Reaction score
Soon they will have odds on bias with Refs as a factor to bet on :grinning: