News MPs consider introducing OPT OUT Organ Donation Policy.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Australians will automatically have their organs donated after they die under a new proposal.

The policy, which is being considered by MPs, assumes everyone is an organ donor unless they've filled out official documents to opt-out.

The proposed changes would help to close in on the illegal trade of organ donation, the Sunday Telegraph reported.

Australians who receive an illegal transplant overseas would be criminalised when they return to Australia, as recommended by federal MPs proposing changes to the laws.

Doctors would also be required to report suspicions their patient accessed an illegal donation overseas.

In 2016, the Sunday Telegraph reported almost 100 Australians travelled overseas to acquire an organ transplant on the black market.

In some instances they paid up to $250,000 for a kidney transplant.

The illegal trade of organ transplants is driven by a shortage of donations.

A parliamentary inquiry wants Australia to consider implementing the opt-out system - in a bid to prevent illegal overseas trade.

Seven of the top 10 organ donating countries in the world have used the opt-out system for a number of years.

Two others have adopted the policy in the past year.

The Human Organ Trafficking and Organ Transplant Tourism report, which was tabled in parliament on Monday December 3, revealed Australians turn to the illicit market as the demand for organs outweighs the number of donors.

There are almost 1500 on the Australian organ transplant waiting list with two thirds, 1003, requiring kidney transplants.

'Desperate people, often facing end-stage renal disease and other grave conditions, may travel to distant countries and pay tens of thousands of dollars and more, for an organ transplant where the donor is poor, exploited or unable to give free and informed consent to donation,' the report reads.

The report recommended the government work to engage Australian people as donors as only one in three are currently registered as donors - despite a majority claiming they would donate when they die.

While organ donation needs to increase, the report warns organ supply will struggle to meet demand in the near future suggesting the nation should focus on addressing illegal organ trafficking.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
@ASSASSIN @dogluva @Sir Col 'The Mushroom'

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this as people who have been closely impacted by organ transplants.

Personally I think it's a brilliant idea andd should be introduced. Opt Out should be available, however there should be valid reasons given for opting out (and religious reasons should NOT be one of them).

Our population is changing and we honestly need organs from all walks of life to ensure the best possible match with replacements.

Bring it on in my opinion.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your body, your rules. If you don’t want to donate, then don’t. No reasons needed. That’s not what our politicians are there to decide.
Plenty of things they can’t even do now let alone forcing us to donate our body parts.

That’s my two cents Mr I :innocent:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Your body, your rules. If you don’t want to donate, then don’t. No reasons needed. That’s not what our politicians are there to decide.
Plenty of things they can’t even do now let alone forcing us to donate our body parts.

That’s my two cents Mr I :innocent:
It's not really a political matter, they are just the ones coming up with the policies and ideas and implementation.

I guess it depends how you see the body. I see it like a car. When death strikes the options are either:
a) landfill (bury the corpse)
b) metal smelter (cremation)
c) sending to a wreckers for spare parts (organ donation).

Who really cares about the first two as nobody remembers a persons body when they are gone, they only remember the memories, personality, and what that person was like from photos. The body itself is completely useless (unless you're going to have it in a vault with a glass casket on display). Honest question - do you even know that the body even gets buried and not burned after the funeral... even as the coffin is lowered in... nobody has an open casket burial!

Another consideration is that land isn't infinite and cemeteries are already having issues finding space for full body burials. That will only get worse with the urban sprawl. Sooner or later a call will need to be made to either ban full body burials (only offer cremation), or they'll have to start turning over bodies.

Rookwood is already having issues having to take other religions sections out to accommodate for a growing muslim population.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I think it's great that Australia has moved out of the dark ages and joined the bigger countries in the world.

What's the big fucking deal of opting out? If you opt out it's fine, no pressure.

I'd even take it a step further and only donors can receive donations.

People make a billion reasons why they don't want to donate but are the first ones to put their hand up when a loved one needs an organ.

My family and I have always been donors and thank God others were donors too otherwise my wife would be a widow and 2 angels wouldn't have a father.

What you think the late and great Drop Bear and his family would say about opting-out, what about the Kennels Mama @dogluva or @Sir Col 'The Mushroom'? They fought their arses off just to have a round for awareness, not money.

PS I'm still a donor on the new system.

Last edited:

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score

I'd like to hear your thoughts on this as people who have been closely impacted by organ transplants.

Personally I think it's a brilliant idea andd should be introduced. Opt Out should be available, however there should be valid reasons given for opting out (and religious reasons should NOT be one of them).

Our population is changing and we honestly need organs from all walks of life to ensure the best possible match with replacements.

Speaking of religious reasons, giving organs that you don't fucking need when you are worm food would be a reason a religious person would use.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I think it's great that Australia has moved out of the dark ages and joined the bigger countries in the world.

What's the big fucking deal of opting out? If you opt out it's fine, no pressure.

I'd even take it a step further and only donors can receive donations.

People make a billion reasons why they don't want to donate but are the first ones to put their hand up when a loved one needs an organ.

My family and I have always been donors and thank God others were donors too otherwise my wife would be a widow and 2 angles wouldn't have a father.

What you think the late and great Drop Bear and his family would say about opting-out, what about the Kennels Mama @dogluva or @Sir Col 'The Mushroom'? They fought their arses off just to have a round for awareness, not money.

PS I'm still a donor on the new system.
I'm totally on with the fact that to receive an organ (as an adult) you must be on the register (well, at the very least, if "opt out" is brought in, if you opt out, you stay out, that includes receiving blood transfusions).

It's called being part of a community.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
not for it.
Out of curiosity, with cremations would/do they just remove them before it's done?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm sure the Greens will come up with some idea like the government paying families for their dead persons organs. Maybe $1000 a heart, $500 for a lung, $200 a kidney.

The Greens are good at coming up with stupid shit like that.

not for it. Out of curiosity, with cremations would/do they just remove them before it's done?
Regardless if it's cremation or a full body burial, once time of death is pronounced and the family have said goodbyes the body is (as far as I've been told), taken to the morgue where it is harvested for any viable transplantable organs (assuming it's of natural or a defined cause of death), then the body is sewn up and transferred to the funeral home ready to prep for funeral.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
I'm sure the Greens will come up with some idea like the government paying families for their dead persons organs. Maybe $1000 a heart, $500 for a lung, $200 a kidney.

Regardless if it's cremation or a full body burial, once time of death is pronounced and the family have said goodbyes the body is (as far as I've been told), taken to the morgue where it is harvested for any viable transplantable organs (assuming it's of natural or a defined cause of death), then the body is sewn up and transferred to the funeral home ready to prep for funeral.
ah ok, interesting

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Just curious as to why this is such a "stupid" idea? Maybe payment towards funeral costs as a thank you is a good thing.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I agree with this plan.
I’m happy to donate my organs, but for a long time I wasn’t registered, just because I was to lazy to make the appropriate changes.
I’m sure anyone who has a moral or religious objection to donating their organs, will be willing to spend 5mins to opt out, if it’s that important to them.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I agree with this plan.
I’m happy to donate my organs, but for a long time I wasn’t registered, just because I was to lazy to make the appropriate changes.
I’m sure anyone who has a moral or religious objection to donating their organs, will be willing to spend 5mins to opt out, if it’s that important to them.
Same thing as this medical files network, go on the net and opt out.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Any system should also remove a family's right to veto.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

I love this idea. So many people who have their wishes registered to be organ donors are in my opinion disrespected when a family member withdraws permission. All members of my family are registered donors and have made their thoughts quite plainly known.

We all remember Peter, aka Drop Bear who became a very valued and respected member of this forum and one I am proud to say for me a friend, who lost his long battle against kidney failure. He was thrilled when he came top of list and looked like he was going to get a chance at a more normal life and I was too, but also took it in his stride when things went pear shaped something I could not think the same way of.

Never asked for sympathy and never complained even though I know towards the end he was in a world of hurt. Our shared conversations were great and could have continued if not for the wait for a new kidney.....

I want to give someone a chance at a longer healthier life and therefore am a registered donor but it makes a lot more sense to me for an opt out system; no misunderstanding wishes and no need for family to get involved. Yes still the option of opting out but only with an extremely valid reason ( and really I can't think of one, but no doubt others could)

The old adage 'you can't take it with you' is true, I have no need for any of the organs which may be transplanted if I am dead.

Also......if you don't want to register to donate why should you have the privilege of receiving an organ should you need it? Harsh yes, but think about it..what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I for one am extremely happy that the family of the young person that donated to Assassin did not 'opt out'

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I love this idea. So many people who have their wishes registered to be organ donors are in my opinion disrespected when a family member withdraws permission. All members of my family are registered donors and have made their thoughts quite plainly known.

We all remember Peter, aka Drop Bear who became a very valued and respected member of this forum and one I am proud to say for me a friend, who lost his long battle against kidney failure. He was thrilled when he came top of list and looked like he was going to get a chance at a more normal life and I was too, but also took it in his stride when things went pear shaped something I could not think the same way of.

Never asked for sympathy and never complained even though I know towards the end he was in a world of hurt. Our shared conversations were great and could have continued if not for the wait for a new kidney.....

I want to give someone a chance at a longer healthier life and therefore am a registered donor but it makes a lot more sense to me for an opt out system; no misunderstanding wishes and no need for family to get involved. Yes still the option of opting out but only with an extremely valid reason ( and really I can't think of one, but no doubt others could)

The old adage 'you can't take it with you' is true, I have no need for any of the organs which may be transplanted if I am dead.

Also......if you don't want to register to donate why should you have the privilege of receiving an organ should you need it? Harsh yes, but think about it..what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I for one am extremely happy that the family of the young person that donated to Assassin did not 'opt out'
Amen Mama.

I was blessed and fortunate enough to get a heart, I've celebrated 6 birthdays with my kids that I should of have if it wasn't for a loving, caring 18 year old boy and his family.

I have no problem if somebody wants to opt out, but like you, @CroydonDog and myself all said, if you are not a donor, don't expect a donation.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Any system should also remove a family's right to veto.
Yes this is a huge part of it, some of the stats i have seen show this is one big reason why organ donations have not gone up in a lot of places that have introduced an opt-out type of system, one of the reasoning is automatically adding people to the list doesn't convey to the family that person actually wants to donate. Easy way is to remove the family veto part.

Personally i have always been a donor since i first got my L's many years ago but i don't think someone should have to give any valid reason if they decide to opt-out, their body their choice.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Yeh I cant agree with that. The thought of letting someone die just because they're not donors themselves doesnt sit right with me

Sometimes it also takes a moment like this that convinces people to become donors and to make sure it does happen.