Moving Players On

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Unfortunately we made a mistake with locking up Lewis and zelezniak while they still had a current contract for the next season. But oh well. Lesson learnt hopefully.

Positive is Lewis and Napa are only around one more year. If Stimson comes back and fires it’s not all bad for us moving forward. We need a lucky break with health and injuries moving forward I hope.

Kiwipup

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Panthers are paying players to play at other clubs, e.g. RCG and Blake. Clubs make mistakes and sometimes it's more beneficial at the time to move players on even if you have dead salary cap space because you're paying them to play elsewhere. It also isn't the same scenario as when we did.
You suredo talk a lot of shit, and the most dissapointing thing is that you think it doesn't stink

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
More for experience is what I am suggesting. Brisbane is a great example of not getting rid of all your experienced players not matter how good your young prospects are...
Hopoate, DWZ, Lafai, Foran, Napa, Jackson, Thompson and Elliott (for e.g.). How much more experience do we need? We have Cotric coming next year and probably a top/experienced hooker. I don't think we need to carry Tolman any longer. I think he's become a hindrance.

NPC83

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Have to ride it out unfortunately... DWZ still has upside he’s just out of form. I’d hope Lewis is not on that much so letting him go wouldn't help a lot when you got to pay some freight and promote a jr. Napa is overpaid for what he delivers but it’s his last year next year. Think we are still going close in most games now and have Cotric and potentially a few other good players coming next year and a coach coming also.

The ReignMan

Previously Clint
Reaction score
The only moving would be players that are currently off contract.

I highly doubt the current board will allow the same scenario as previously, with paying for our players to play at other clubs.

It will come down to who Barrett will keep and let go, out of the current crop off contract now.

1. Foran
2. Tolman
3. Elliott
4. Cogger
5. Lafai
6. Montoya
7. Sue
8. Holland
9. Katoa
10. Tass
11. Doorey
12. Harding
13. SWC
Keeping Sue tough as fk , we need as much mongrel as we can get

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Barret needs to come in & say you guys need to stop hoarding shit and get a big skip bin out the front and put most of our first grade team in to it and tell the club no more hoarding shit talentless players

Last edited:

youoboys

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Bulldogs fan here: a true coach will use the players contracted and get best out of them. All are struggling in a team that is struggling .....

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
The next stop for Napa is surely the SL. Bloke offers nothing other than being able to bite the pillow.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
You're probably right but some clubs might be interested at the right price and think that they can get the best out of them. We see all the time other teams rejects getting signed by another club.
We have certainly seen enough of it at our club....:expressionless:

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Tolman has to be the first to go. It was Tolman on thw forth with Des and Pay and under SG its even worse. Its Tolman on the forth and sometimes first when we need to win.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If I am Barrett this is what I would do...
Sign:
A. Hopoate
Field
Burton
Maloney
Green gone to Newcastle :expressionless:
Grant
Hetherington
Cartwright
Cannon ball prop if possible

I would be willing to Let go of:
Holland
Crichton
Montoya
Lewis *
Cogger
Foran
Tolman
Napa *
Britt *

Last edited:

pupmichelle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would manage our roster as such

1- 5 - Meaney, Hoppa, Cotric, DWZ, Okunbor
(Keep Lafai, Montoya & Crichton for reggies and back up - release R.Smith & Holland)

6, 7 & 9 - Averillo, Burton, all out Brandon Smith
(Keep Cogger, Wakeham, Katoa, JMK for reggies and back up - release Foran & Lewis)

Forwards - Thompson, Jackson, To'omaga, RFM, Ogden, Elliott, Sue, Welch, Tamou
(Keep Britt, C.Smith, Stimson for reggies and back up - release Napa & Tolman)

Thats a total of 27 out of 30.

I would make Brandon Smith a priority!

There "should" be enough available for
- B. Smith
- Burton
- Welch
- Tamou

With the other 3 spots available you would "hope" you could snap up a FB, outside back and halve if quality was to come up

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
DWZ is a good winger. He's so good that in the past few rounds, opposition kickers don't even bother kicking to him anymore. He is very fast and can break tackles. I think a DWZ, Cotric combination would be potent.
Which games have u been watching,he has been abysmal,every team we play have targeted him,in attack and kicks,he has been with foran and Napa,one of the worst ever buys for our club

Mak Dogs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The first 2 that need to go is montoya and holland I’ve seen more then enough of there rubbish. Then both our props need to go and bring in some mongrel and meat heads that can bend the line and hit in defence

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Which games have u been watching,he has been abysmal,every team we play have targeted him,in attack and kicks,he has been with foran and Napa,one of the worst ever buys for our club
DWZ last season compared to this season is like two different players. I can't think of a reason why he could be great last year and pretty ordinary this year. He's still a strong ball runner with some pace. But his confidence has dropped off drastically. Think the only description I've heard of it is the yips. For some reason you get mental demons that prevent you from being able to do things you used to be good at. Felt a bit sad to see him run from one side of the field to the other vs the Eels. Last year he'd have just ran straight at the line.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
I have faith in Barrett's coaching ability, especially with halves but you can't coach someone to throw a ball five metres on target. If he can't do that as a six year old, let alone in his third season of FG then there's nothing that can be done to help him.

The only hope is that another club values his willingness in defence and big boot and takes a chance on him on the cheap. Which isn't likely I know.

Either way the club will recruit a half. There's no way we can start next season with a combo of Lewis and Wakeham.
What half?
Seriously all the Lewis haters...Lewis took the line on a few more times yesterday and gave good service to our backs. He had a good game. I hope we can find $450k for Foran plus $100k in incentives to Foran if he plays at least 18 games and we make the finals. Next years halves are Foran and Lewis and under Barrett they will be effective. Wakeham is the future for 2023.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You wouldn't have to pay all of Napa's deal. If he's on 550k, pay 250k of it and a club will take him for 300k for one year.

Promote a minimum salary junior into the 30 man squad and we have an extra 200k to spend.

If not, surely a club in England would take him and give him extra money and years..
Perhaps our board might have to eat humble pie and pay Napa some of the freight to play elsewhere, if it's the case hopefully it is in the SL.
But lets not forget that next year will be his contract year, and for that reason he could put in because I think that he can play better than he's currently playing.
I guess the club will have to evaluate the situation.