Movie Discussion

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Saw Rampage last night, and wasn’t expecting the 3D version either. That actually made it a bit better. Event cinemas Vmax 3D for $16 on a Saturday night. HOW DOES THAT WORK??? Anyway, no comical plot to it Hacky, just fun and entertaining, and surprisingly a good adaptation of the Sega game (one of my all time favs). The odd smart arse comment thrown in here and there.

My main concerns with it though was that in the game, George was the biggest, and a gorilla not an albino gorilla, with Lizzie being a Godzilla-like dinosaur , in this movie George was the smallest and Lizzie was a crocodile [emoji246] and the biggest.

Ralph... he was so badass [emoji191]

Last edited:

Wahesh

Reaction score
By the way... Event Cinema V Max tickets on Saturday night... $16. Anyone know why they are so cheap now?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
By the way... Event Cinema V Max tickets on Saturday night... $16. Anyone know why they are so cheap now?
‘Cause people aren’t going to the cinemas any more. He last few movies I’ve been to had barely 15% of the cinema filled. Even on a major release.

Wahesh

Reaction score
‘Cause people aren’t going to the cinemas any more. He last few movies I’ve been to had barely 15% of the cinema filled. Even on a major release.
Well hopefully this is a permanent move. I thought that they were raising the prices of movies because so few people were going (a form of subsidizing the business). I know that Reading cinemas have all movies for $10 except for the gold class recliner seat ones.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
i miss ceneplex in brisbane, got tickets for $10 now it's like $20-odd in melbourne for recline chairs which only go back about 30 degrees

Wahesh

Reaction score
i miss ceneplex in brisbane, got tickets for $10 now it's like $20-odd in melbourne for recline chairs which only go back about 30 degrees
Which cinema company?

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
Far out... you would think that between Event and Hoyts, Hoyts would lower their prices first. Is there an Event Cinema near you?
not that i know, the hoyts is like a 2 minute drive to chadstone shopping centre

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just saw 10 Cloverfield lane on tv. It seemed like a reasonably straightforward story up until the last few minutes. I thought it would end much differently to the way it did. Then it took an out of the blue twist at the end. The acting was pretty good. The characters seemed pretty well developed, but the ending was a strange twist.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Maximum Conviction. It's a movie with Steven Seagal and Stone Cold Steve Austin. I mean it's ok. I like a fight scene at the end with Australia's own Bren Foster. 6/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Pistol Whipped.

Some B-grade movie from 2008 with Steven Seagal.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1014801/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I had it for 10 years so I finally got around to watching it last night. The dialogue was boring and there was so much second guessing as to who the bad guys actually were. The actions scenes weren't so bad though.

The hot chicks in it kept it interesting.

6/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Den of Thieves

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1259528/?ref_=nv_sr_1

I actually thought of seeing this in the cinema. Glad I didn't. So this basically follows "Big Nick" played by Gerard Butler. A county police officer in LA. Not a constable who does arrests and questioning suspects etc... he's the type of police officer who breaks the law to uphold it, and currently going through a divorce to add to his "tough cop" image. During the movie, we also get to know the thieves who become seemingly likable, and their plan is to rob the US Federal Reserve Bank of their daily $30,000,000 of bank notes which are in degraded condition before they are run through the shredder. Their careful plan seems to work. They sneak some guys dressed as transportation officers in and manage to get the cash thrown into the dumpster bypassing the shredder. A guy comes in and holds up the dumpster truck and steals it. Then their plan turns to shit. As they plan their escape, they are caught in traffic. Big Nick and his boys then think this is their chance to get at them. In the traffic jam, everyone gets out of the car and run for their lives. Then the gun fight begins and the bad guys die blah blah blah. The bad guys who we grew to like throughout the movie are just shown dead, and aren't heard of anymore. Pretty piss weak way to end a movie.

In short, there is action at the start, action at the end, and nothing but long boring dialogue in between. I'm glad I didn't see this at the movies. It also went on for far too long, 148 minutes, nearly 2½ hours.

4/10.

Wahesh

Reaction score
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2283362/

This was one of the few movies that I actually wish I went and saw at the cinemas. It was very funny. Amazingly enough, Dwayne Johnson wasn't the funniest one in this movie, it was Kevin Hart. It is based on a classic (8 bit) video game of Jumanji. Seeing the characters try to adjust to their new bodies and new strengths/weaknesses is hilarious. The story is completely different from the 1995 Jumanji movie as in this movie the characters try to return the jewel to the Panther which Van Pelt stole. In the 1995 movie, they simply try to avoid Van Pelt. In the original movie, the progression was done via a board game, in this version though, their adventure is the video game progress. They each also have 3 lives which make for an added twist.

Of course there was also the token hot chicks in this movie. Karen Gillan who plays Ruby Roundhouse was a typical hot ranga, and Madison Iseman who plays Bethany (transformed into Jack Black), was also there more or less for the eye candy.

Some predictable patterns in this movie that relate to the first:

(1) Someone plays the game first then gets sucks into it for years and never heard of again until the next players join
(2) When the game ends, everyone gets transported back through time

Being a retro game lover, I really did like the delivery of this game, and I will be watching it again. My only regret is not seeing it on the big screen.

8/10.

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I just saw 10 Cloverfield lane on tv. It seemed like a reasonably straightforward story up until the last few minutes. I thought it would end much differently to the way it did. Then it took an out of the blue twist at the end. The acting was pretty good. The characters seemed pretty well developed, but the ending was a strange twist.
That movie was never intended to be tied into the Cloverfield series. It even had an entirely different name like "The Cellar" or something like that. That is why the ending seems so out of place.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
That movie was never intended to be tied into the Cloverfield series. It even had an entirely different name like "The Cellar" or something like that. That is why the ending seems so out of place.
Yeah, it was a standalone creepy movie. A side project by the Cloverfield people but they decided to change it into a series.