Movie Discussion

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
View attachment 13372
Miles is a video game developer who inadvertently becomes the next participant in a real-life death match that streams online. While Miles soon excels at running away from everything, that won't help him outlast Nix, a killer at the top of her game.

A low budget film, with some great leads.

Daniel Radcliffe has shaken off that Harry Potter curse and proven to be a good actor and the more I see of Samara Weaving the more I like:hearteyes:
Impressive action sequences, solid direction but let down by lack of story, some pretty poor editing, dialogue as well as side characters but end of the day, there's more good than bad here imo

Just turn off your brain for an hour and a half and enjoy the ride.

3.2/5
3.2/5... very specific ;)

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Cool - I might see this one. Does Samara put on a pommy accent in this movie or is it Australian?

She's off the hook in terms of hotness.

She plays a junkie hit woman with neck tats and an America accent.

Apparently when she was in full costume after shooting long hours she couldn't get service at cafes and restaurants because she freaked people out

She still looked smoking though.

(Lol at that Asian dude in that back ground of that pic) :tearsofjoy:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score

Apparently when she was in full costume after shooting long hours she couldn't get service at cafes and restaurants because she freaked people out

That Asian dude is the very reason why I posted that pic :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

As if you wouldn't serve a chick that smoking hot... DAYUM!

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Phantom.jpg

Set in 1950s London, Reynolds Woodcock is a renowned dressmaker whose fastidious life is disrupted by a young, strong-willed woman, Alma, who becomes his muse and lover.

A brilliantly acted, expertly shot film, with amazing cinematography, costumes and score. The plot is incredibly slow and a lot of people would find it boring, and I see where they're coming from, but ultimately (no spoilers) I found the unsettling nature captured the tone perfectly and I liked it.

4/5

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
images.jpeg

A deranged undertaker kills various people to keep as his friends, and engage in some necrophilia in his seedy funeral home.

OK, I went into this with very low expectations, and faarrrkk was I not wrong.

Worse than normal 80's teen acting, with some decent gore and nice titty is about all this had going for it

This grind house flick is actually lucky to even exist seeing the title character, played by a very drunk, and drugged up Joe spinell (to his credit, some of his scenes are so bad they made me nearly piss myself with laughter) died before shooting was completed and had the only rough cut in his house, it probably should have stayed there.

1.2/5
(for the titty, gore and the comedy)

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Looks like the bloke in the hat and the other girl sitting down are also checking her out.

I watched Guns Akimbo yesterday. Pretty funny really. The story was very simple. Nix and Miles were pretty good and the scenes with the Hobo were pretty funny. But the rest of the characters were pretty corny. But a fun movie to watch despite those few negatives. I think it deserves a 3.3

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Looks like the bloke in the hat and the other girl sitting down are also checking her out.

I watched Guns Akimbo yesterday. Pretty funny really. The story was very simple. Nix and Miles were pretty good and the scenes with the Hobo were pretty funny. But the rest of the characters were pretty corny. But a fun movie to watch despite those few negatives. I think it deserves a 3.3
Aside from the leads, The hobo (played by the underrated Rhys Darby) was the best character imo.

"I wouldn't do that if I was you, you'll just end up blowing your damn face off. Then you'll still be depressed, even more depressed probably because of your fucked up face"
:tearsofjoy:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Aside from the leads, The hobo (played by the underrated Rhys Darby) was the best character imo.

"I wouldn't do that if I was you, you'll just end up blowing your damn face off. Then you'll still be depressed, even more depressed probably because of your fucked up face"
:tearsofjoy:
I haven't seen Rhys Darby in a role I didn't like him in yet. "I'm glad to get rid of that really, it's been in there for about 8 months"

It's a pity that the same effort wasn't put into creating quality roles for most of the rest of the characters. They remind me of the 70's style gang members in the way they're portrayed.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Parasite.jpg

A poor family, the Kims, con their way into becoming the servants of a rich family, the Parks. But their easy life gets complicated when their deception is threatened with exposure.

So, the movie that cleaned up at the Oscars is actually a pretty good one.

I found it to be very well set up with outstanding direction and with an engaging story that goes well beneath the surface and makes you think by not spelling everything out for you.
My biggest gripe was screenplay could have used a few tweaks, and some of the characters could have been fleshed out a bit more but ultimately this is a very good film that while a bit overhyped, is somewhat deserving of some of the praise it's getting

4/5

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
View attachment 13458
A poor family, the Kims, con their way into becoming the servants of a rich family, the Parks. But their easy life gets complicated when their deception is threatened with exposure.

So, the movie that cleaned up at the Oscars is actually a pretty good one.

I found it to be very well set up with outstanding direction and with an engaging story that goes well beneath the surface and makes you think by not spelling everything out for you.
My biggest gripe was screenplay could have used a few tweaks, and some of the characters could have been fleshed out a bit more but ultimately this is a very good film that while a bit overhyped, is somewhat deserving of some of the praise it's getting

4/5
I must check this out..thanks for this!

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I'd describe his performance as an evil rendition of Ace Ventura with a superiority complex. It does fit the character he's playing, but it's not new ground for him. It does make him ultimately hatable which is the desired effect. But I think dr robotnic will appeal to kids more than adults. I've just seen him play very similar roles too often to think he's got any ability to evolve.
Not a new movie, or a review, but on this point Jim Carey in The Number 23 was quite the actor. I am not much of a fan of his but this is a fine attempt in the tradition of well known comedians taking on a serious role.
3 stars :grinning:
images ).jpeg

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Not a new movie, or a review, but on this point Jim Carey in The Number 23 was quite the actor. I am not much of a fan of his but this is a fine attempt in the tradition of well known comedians taking on a serious role.
3 stars :grinning:
View attachment 13461
I'll see if I can find it. I'm a bit over a few comedians that rely on being loud to try to make unfunny jokes humorous.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Be interested to hear your thoughts if you do
I wound up watching it today. Pretty good movie and made me rethink my opinion on Carreys acting skills. I guess he gets typecast a bit for his over the top comedy roles. This really shows that he's capable of offering a lot more than a loud buffoon that he regularly plays in the many comedic roles he's in.

I'll review it without giving away any spoilers.
The number 23.
Walter is a happy family man, who on his 32nd birthday gets a book from his wife that draws him into the story of a man obsessed with the number 23. What starts out as curiosity quickly develops into obsession as he attempts to draw comparisons between himself and the detective protagonist in the book. It draws him and his family into a frightening rabbit hole as he follows the same obsession with the recurrence of the number 23 that the detective found himself suffering from in the book.

The characters all sold the story well in a movie that drew you in as it progressed. Towards the end it picks up pace really well. Carrey switches between his real life character and his imagined role of the protagonist in the book quite well and his family play good supporting roles. I don't often see movies where I think the story is great, but this one really left me guessing till the end and I'm surprised that this movie isn't one that I've ever heard of before. I really recommend this one highly.

4.5/5

BlackJackBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I wound up watching it today. Pretty good movie and made me rethink my opinion on Carreys acting skills. I guess he gets typecast a bit for his over the top comedy roles. This really shows that he's capable of offering a lot more than a loud buffoon that he regularly plays in the many comedic roles he's in.

I'll review it without giving away any spoilers.
The number 23.
Walter is a happy family man, who on his 32nd birthday gets a book from his wife that draws him into the story of a man obsessed with the number 23. What starts out as curiosity quickly develops into obsession as he attempts to draw comparisons between himself and the detective protagonist in the book. It draws him and his family into a frightening rabbit hole as he follows the same obsession with the recurrence of the number 23 that the detective found himself suffering from in the book.

The characters all sold the story well in a movie that drew you in as it progressed. Towards the end it picks up pace really well. Carrey switches between his real life character and his imagined role of the protagonist in the book quite well and his family play good supporting roles. I don't often see movies where I think the story is great, but this one really left me guessing till the end and I'm surprised that this movie isn't one that I've ever heard of before. I really recommend this one highly.

4.5/5
Glad you enjoyed it! Quite a good movie with an actual plot that flew under the radar of most people at the time.