Move to Bulldogs is a happy homecoming for Chase Stanley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He has had two stints at St George Illawarra and one at Melbourne, but Chase Stanley still feels like he has gone home, having now made the move to the Bulldogs.
"I grew up around Belmore," Stanley said. "I played my first football here when I was young. I was a junior here.
"The first first-grade game I watched was at Belmore – Auckland Warriors against the Bulldogs.
"I've been a local, born and bred in the area, so it felt like I was coming back to a home.

"I know the area pretty well, and the people around here. That always helps." Stanley, a former New Zealand representative, went to school at Belmore South Public School, and also knocked around with Bulldogs five-eighth Josh Reynolds, his new teammate.
"Our families were pretty close when we were younger, but we moved away," Stanley said. "But we kept in touch.
"I know a few of the boys. That definitely helps, getting used to the Bulldogs culture."
Now 24, Stanley is one of the few new signings made by Bulldogs' coach Des Hasler for the 2014 season. With fullback Ben Barba departing, that will place pressure on Stanley, as well as the team. But he is relishing the challenge.
"I just needed a fresh start," Stanley said. "I was off contract, and this was a good opportunity for me.
"We didn't have the best year at the Dragons. It was a bit frustrating, knowing we could have done a bit better with the team that we had. It was a disappointing year, but I'm sure they're going to grow from that."
He also has high expectations for the Bulldogs.
"There are a lot of great players here and a lot of depth," Stanley said. "I look forward to being a part of it.
"I just want to have a good pre-season – that's where it all stars – and be a part of the culture. I want to keep learning."
Where Hasler sees him fitting in remains to be seen.
Hasler, as yet, has not pulled off the expected acquisition of a fullback to replace Barba, which means spots across the Bulldogs' back line are not cemented yet.
Stanley can play most of them, and is approaching his fresh start with an open mind, preferring not to focus on any particular position.
"I just want to keep training hard and put my best foot forward," Stanley said. "We'll see what happens."

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Didnt realise hes a dogs junior coming back. Hope he goes well, its nice to get one back, especially if they go well. People complain we lose too many but this season we have 2 coming back, Stanley and Maitua.

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
He sounds keen. Let's hope that he can translate that enthusiasm to results on the field.

Welcome aboard Chase.

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
Hopefully he has a good season for us. Wish him all the best.

Harby

Trance Family
Reaction score
Went to Belmore South with Chase and the Stanley crew, hope he flourishes with us would be great to see.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I reckon he deserves a shot at the number 1 jersey, can he jump under pressure?

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
I reckon he deserves a shot at the number 1 jersey, can he jump under pressure?
No, he panics and his feet remain planted to the ground against his will. It's a rare condition that affects 17% of men - and there's only a 30% of that.

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'll be honest - I wasn't too happy with the signing of Stanley. It was mainly due to believing Lafai was leaving in his place though.

If Stanley can stay fit and away from injury, we may have signed a really good quality back.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Everyone talks a good game at the start of the season. I truly hope he gets a shot and goes well but honestly, that whole story is just PR rhetoric and hyperbole.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He is sounding very eager that's a good thing, who knows he could end up being a surprise signing that goes on to be a star for yes, I sure hope so,

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where would he play?
I think back up centre and will need to force his way in ,competition for spots is great for a team ,i think well see lafai kill it this year ,and i think if they put inu on wing well be very dangerous

Status
Not open for further replies.