Moses Mbye takes similar path to Jonathon Thurston

Status
Not open for further replies.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
[h=1]Moses Mbye is embarking on the same trajectory to NRL stardom as that of Johnathan Thurston[/h]

• JOSH MASSOUD
  • THE DAILY TELEGRAPH
  • MAY 22, 2014 10:00PM

Moses Mbye is embarking on the same trajectory to NRL stardom as that of Johnathan Thurston. Source:News Limited

[h=3]Bulldogs back Origin teammates1:03[/h]

Laurie Daley's choice to field a Bulldogs' halves pairing over the Roosters has surprised some but the 'Dogs squad says Daley's decision was the right one

AUTOPLAY

WHEN Moses Mbye began idolising Johnathan Thurston, the young playmaker could not have imagined that he’d embark on the same trajectory to NRL stardom.
Like Thurston, Mbye was bred in Queensland. Like Thurston, Mbye was overlooked by the Brisbane Broncos. Like Thurston, Mbye was forced to move to Sydney in his teens to accept a chance of a lifetime from the Canterbury-Bankstown *Bulldogs.Four years after arriving alone from the Sunshine Coast, the Gambian-blooded prodigy will get his first genuine crack at the NRL when he guides Canterbury’s Origin-decimated side against the Roosters at ANZ Stadium.

Reni Maitua and Moses Mbye are set to line-up in the halves for Canterbury on Friday night. Source: News Limited

Having made his lone top- grade appearance from the bench against Newcastle four weeks ago, Mbye has been named in the halves alongside his new mentor and best mate at Belmore, veteran utility Reni Maitua.At opposite ends of their *careers, the pair make an odd-couple replacement for Origin duo Trent Hodkinson and Josh Reynolds.But necessity often breeds ingenuity, a character trait 20-year-old Mbye has consciously developed since leaving his *single mum behind in 2011. He was first spotted in the Noosa *Pirates under-18s the previous season, by ex-Bulldogs recruitment manager Peter Mulholland, who confessed: “I didn’t even know who he was, let alone know how to pronounce his surname.”
[h=3]Trent Hodkinson's courageous career1:31[/h]

Injury prone Bulldogs halfback Trent Hodkinson's career has been full of ups and downs, but his star is certainly on the rise after being called up to wear the number seven jersey for NSW in State of Origin I.

“It was just the way it worked,” said Mbye, who captained the Canterbury and Queensland under-20s teams last year.“I didn’t have an offer from any Queensland club. The Bulldogs saw something in me that they thought they could dig up and I’m very grateful. I want to repay them with a good career at this club.”Mbye began that process in March, when he knocked back interest from Newcastle to ink a two-year extension. He’s since been named 18th man for the Bulldogs on most weeks, and steps back to the halves in NSW Cup when the draw permits.The waiting game is uncannily close to the one Thurston endured at Belmore, stranded behind established halves Brent Sherwin and Braith Anasta before joining North Queensland a decade ago.

Moses Mbye grew up idolising superstar Johnathan Thurston. Source: News Corp Australia

“I was quite the Cowboys fan as a kid, because of Johnathan Thurston — for mine, he’s the best player in the world,” Mbye said. “My dream is to play against him one day, and I actually think a lot about how he started here at Canterbury and couldn’t get a spot at first.“I’ve only met him a couple of times, but not really gotten the chance to speak with him properly. Hopefully I will one day.”On Friday night Mbye will have to be content re-acquainting himself with fellow Noosa product Jake Friend. Despite playing for the Roosters, Friend was a significant influence in Mbye’s adjustment to Sydney. before commencing full-time NRL training last November, Mbye worked as a teacher’s aide at Bankstown primary school and was billeted with Canterbury’s indigenous liaison officer, Dean Feeney, at nearby George’s Hall.

Moses Mbye with Michael Ennis during a training session. Source: News Limited

“It was pretty difficult coming from a small coastal community to the big smoke,” Mbye said. “I think I’m pretty mature for a young kid and handled it quite well. I know Jake Friend quite well from Noosa, and he helped me out a lot.”

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Like Thurston, he will give his Premiership ring to his injured captain (Frankie)

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Like Thurston, he will give his Premiership ring to his injured captain (Frankie)
Lets just hope he doesn't leave the year after like JT. I'll never forgive Folkes for choosing to keep Anasta over Thurston.

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lets just hope he doesn't leave the year after like JT. I'll never forgive Folkes for choosing to keep Anasta over Thurston.
Something tells me Hasler won't be making the same mistakes Folkes did ...!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Folkes wishes he was Hasler.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Girlfriend will be watching game with me for first time (on TV). The reason? "I want to see that guy with the cool name".

Sent from my C5303 using Tapatalk

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
That killed me especially the huge overs anastasia was being paid the few years before it. Who do you pick and up and coming gun who was on minimum wage crying in Belmore car park about how he just wants to be a bull dog.or a greedy prick who demanded more money who was on double of what he should of been and had no problems negotiating with other clubs . Grrrrrrr

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Good luck to moses seems like he is a humble dude,I hope he does not cop a huge backlash if he doesn't set the world on fire the bloke needs to learn

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Win or lose the kid sounds like he's gonna play with heart. I'll will be at the game tonight cheering him in on.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Excellent article, though did they forget he played in the centres when Lafai was out and Inu was suspended?

jon50n

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
that's for sure... But he won us a premiership and that I will never forget.
With the roster Folkes had back then he should have won 3-4 premierships at least, imagine if Hasler was our coach back then who knows how many we would have won in a row but I know it won't be just 1 .. like Mason said after he left if Folkes was a great coach he should have more than 1 premiership especially when you had JT, SBW, Mason, Price, O'Meley, Maitua just to name a few on his books

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
I hope we can hold onto this kid, he has a bright future.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
I hope we can hold onto this kid, he has a bright future.
Don't you think it will be years before he can come into the squad?? Trent and Josh are both still young..

If he wants to play 1st grade and we stick with our halves pairing now I can see him leaving.. unless he plays a different position.

Could he play FB?

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Don't you think it will be years before he can come into the squad?? Trent and Josh are both still young..
That's exactly what I mean. If Hodko and Reynolds stay uninjured not sure where he fits in.

bLaQDoG..

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
So how do you pronounce his surname?

Is it MBye as in MMMbop or Mbye as in "EM"Bye... or maybe it's really pronounced like something out of a Russell Peters skit "Click"Bye

Papa Emeritus

Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
So how do you pronounce his surname?

Is it MBye as in MMMbop or Mbye as in "EM"Bye... or maybe it's really pronounced like something out of a Russell Peters skit "Click"Bye
Pretty certain it is Em Bye

But I like to say Mmm Bye. I do what I want.

Could he play fullback?
Who knows he seems pretty good at centre, wing and halves. I doubt Des would just stick him at flb just to keep him though.

Status
Not open for further replies.