Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
It was fairly accurate. Hodko was struggling with injury so he had two options:

1 - Declares himself injured and doesn't play in the Grand Final

2 - Ignores the injury and fights through the pain until he can't play any more

His performance in the grand final was the performance of someone who was nervous. He seemed scared that he would injure himself again and that held the whole team back. no one wants to miss the grand final but you have to put the team ahead of yourself.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think this is helpful from Mortimer, I agree with what he actually said, but it would be better said directly rather than via the media.

What good comes from kicking Hodkinson right now?
100%. Fully agree with Turvey saying that but go to the club and speak to Des and Hodko, don't do it via the papers.

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
I reckon Hodko is at the crossroads of his career now quite frankly. He's played SOO and a GF this year.
He needs to go to another level, I just doubt his body allows him to do that.

Quite frankly, he played his most dominant games for us in his first year with us. The last game of the year in 2011 v Manly he was carving them up, got injured before half time not to return, and we lost to miss the semis. That is the best 40 mins I've seen him play, period.

Having said all that, defensively he is a machine, and his composure is unquestioned. Turvey is spot on, need more attacking productivity out of him. question is can he deliver?
Now or never Trent, c'mon son we all wAnt to see you do it!
I remember that manly game, he was taking manly apart one by one. Looked world class in that 1st half

pisssst

CEO
Reaction score
I don't think this is helpful from Mortimer, I agree with what he actually said, but it would be better said directly rather than via the media.

When you are a club legend you can say what ever you want.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/mortimer-blasts-trent-hodkinson/

CANTERBURY legend Steve Mortimer says there are no excuses for Trent Hodkinson not performing in the grand final and that the Bulldogs and NSW halfback has got to make sure he learns from the experience.

Hodkinson went into the game still carrying a knee injury he sustained in the second week of the finals against Manly and was virtually non-existent in attack, but Mortimer says that if you go out there you are declaring yourself fit to play.

“I think the world of Trent Hodkinson as a player and as a person. I was so happy he got the NSW job,” Mortimer tells RLW.

“But there was a lack of creativity and direction for the Bulldogs in the grand final and as the halfback he has to take a lot of the responsibility for that.

“I thought at 6-0 down the game was still winnable for the Bulldogs. The defence from both teams was great. At 6-6 it was there to be won, but there was no setting up of players like Tim Lafai and Josh Morris out wide. We didn’t look threatening in the second half and the Rabbitohs ended up capitalising on that.

“The Bulldogs missed Michael Ennis at hooker, for sure, but (Bulldogs coach) Des Hasler was a halfback. He knows the importance of the seven and the six as far as being creators in attack is concerned, so he would have picked up on all of that.

“I know Trent’s knee wasn’t 100 per cent going into the game, but if you go out there then that’s no excuse.

“He has to learn from what happened in the grand final and I believe he will learn from it because he’s the sort of player who wants to be the best he can.”
I got thumbed down for stating the exact same thing ( in bold ) Thanks Turvey for vindicating my thoughts!!!

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I got thumbed down for stating the exact same thing ( in bold ) Thanks Turvey for vindicating my thoughts!!!
Don't sweat it! ....what do they say about opinions?!!

Regardless, the halves need to be put under the spotlight in the review of the 2014 season by coaching staff. Injuries notwithstanding, our right edge with Jackson Lafai & Corey saw less and less ball as the Semi Finals progressed.

In the GF this was criminal!

Someone needs to be held accountable, there needs to be an investigation!!!!

N

Natboy

Don't sweat it! ....what do they say about opinions?!!

Regardless, the halves need to be put under the spotlight in the review of the 2014 season by coaching staff. Injuries notwithstanding, our right edge with Jackson Lafai & Corey saw less and less ball as the Semi Finals progressed.

In the GF this was criminal!

Someone needs to be held accountable, there needs to be an investigation!!!!
It's ridiculous!!!!

HITM3N

THE KENNEL
Gilded
Reaction score
This needed to be stated by Steve Mortimer!! I could imagine his pain when he saw hodkinson play like that... Mortimer should say what he wants because now in the Modern game if you don't Have a good proper halfback then the team will be no good.. As in no direction in play!!

On grand final night, when it was last and we were in their 10! Our bloody Forwards were kicking!! Like seriously ffs where are our 6 and 7

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we have a halves coach? I know Kimmorley was one years ago. I also know Matt Orford (who I didn't rate as a player) was one in Haslers first year. I have felt that Reynolds and Hodko play a little too close to the line and that Morris gets the ball with the defence right on him. Back in 09 Morris would get the ball with space and absolutely destroy his opposition.
Can we get Fittler or Matty Johns on board. Joey is too much at Manly or do what Roosters did and get Joey and Mattys coach to help our halves
Kimmorley is an excellent coach and an integral part of our 2012 success imo, would love to have him back but it won't happen.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Bit late to blast him after the event.. He has been injured for the last 3 weeks..

Btw Won the manly game for us injured and played to win against panthers. Didnt hear any complaints then.
Its a bit wrong to suggest trent was to blame for the loss considering the shit ball handling..

Trent's specialty is getting us over the line in tight matches not playing Cooper cronk style footy so it's a bit unfair from Mortimer.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

I sense that Mortimer has been unhappy with our halves and the way our attack is structured for a while now.

He may be thinking that he has had enough, and needs to apply a little pressure on Des, more than Hokko.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Steve is a legend and he wears his heart on his sleeve. These comments would not have been made lightly. Don't forget Steve was on the end of more than a few harsh words during his career. I remember when he came to the dogs, spindly legs and head full of red hair. Didn't look much like a footballer but tried hard. He was dropped back to reserve grade because he just could not tackle. Had the kicking game and the turn of speed, but could not tackle. This guy worked his butt off and when he returned to first grade he was the complete footballer and made some of the best cover tackles you would ever see. All he is doing is letting Trent know that he needs to lift certain aspects of his game and learn to lead the team around the park better. Steve has respect for Trent, he has said it before and I am sure that TH will take the criticism on board and work to be a better player. He has it in him, we have seen glimpses of it but the ability to produce it week after week and game after game is what makes a good player a great player. Injury killed him in the last few weeks of our season, to the extent that reports of him missing the final games were made in the media. Trent will rehab in the off season and hopefully hit the ground running come start of 2015 season.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Fair call well said steve enough excuses

Barba's Barber

puppy power
Reaction score
"but there was no setting up of players like Tim Lafai and Josh Morris out wide"

That's what we have been missing since 2009. Finally someone in the club has addressed it.
Lafai's tries this season were practically his own doing. Imagine if he and Jmoz had the quality ball they deserved all season.

N

Natboy

"but there was no setting up of players like Tim Lafai and Josh Morris out wide"

That's what we have been missing since 2009. Finally someone in the club has addressed it.
Lafai's tries this season were practically his own doing. Imagine if he and Jmoz had the quality ball they deserved all season.
I'm sure the halves will get the ball a little quicker next season too so that should assist things

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
there is a reason why our props have scored a faiir chunk of our points this season. Lack of creativity from the halves. I am still fcuking pissed that Lafai being our most dangerous player got fcuk all ball in the GF. Im sick of people dribbling on about how our back line is shit, our backline has no chance with halves that can't read the defensive line and execute simple halves play.

Barba's Barber

puppy power
Reaction score
Yeah I watched a few sharkies games this year and noticed that Liccha is good at getting to the "play the ball" quickly.
Hope you are right Natboy.

With the firepower (Rona and Loko) we have gained next season it would be silly not to get the ball to those guys regularly. And Laffy too :grinning:

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
FW Freddy and Coke Head Johns at the Bulldogs??? these 2 with Finchi have been bagging us the last couple of years as Co comentators on Chanel PHKNg 9 for 2 years now, well at least the first 2 have.
No Thanks, I would hate to see them any where near our club or we may need to get Big Sam to sit on them!!

Status
Not open for further replies.