Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
http://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/mortimer-blasts-trent-hodkinson/

CANTERBURY legend Steve Mortimer says there are no excuses for Trent Hodkinson not performing in the grand final and that the Bulldogs and NSW halfback has got to make sure he learns from the experience.

Hodkinson went into the game still carrying a knee injury he sustained in the second week of the finals against Manly and was virtually non-existent in attack, but Mortimer says that if you go out there you are declaring yourself fit to play.

“I think the world of Trent Hodkinson as a player and as a person. I was so happy he got the NSW job,” Mortimer tells RLW.

“But there was a lack of creativity and direction for the Bulldogs in the grand final and as the halfback he has to take a lot of the responsibility for that.

“I thought at 6-0 down the game was still winnable for the Bulldogs. The defence from both teams was great. At 6-6 it was there to be won, but there was no setting up of players like Tim Lafai and Josh Morris out wide. We didn’t look threatening in the second half and the Rabbitohs ended up capitalising on that.

“The Bulldogs missed Michael Ennis at hooker, for sure, but (Bulldogs coach) Des Hasler was a halfback. He knows the importance of the seven and the six as far as being creators in attack is concerned, so he would have picked up on all of that.

“I know Trent’s knee wasn’t 100 per cent going into the game, but if you go out there then that’s no excuse.

“He has to learn from what happened in the grand final and I believe he will learn from it because he’s the sort of player who wants to be the best he can.”

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmmm! Harsh, but fair. Compared to Sam Burgess, Hodko's injury was just a scratch.

Hope he takes it on board. Maybe Steve can give him a few tips.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
It wasn't harsh. It was the truth.

RO11LR

Pup
Reaction score
Nothing like a rev up from a club legend to provide inspiration !

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
thats not a blast ffs, "what a piece of shit performance hodkinson put it" would be a blast

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Fair call coming from the clubs greatest halfback but in all honesty who were we going to use if he can't take the field. Let me guess 6 Reynolds 7. Mbye 9. Damien Cook lol

Chris Harding

Steam Powered Dog
Premium Member
Reaction score
thats not a blast ffs, "what a piece of shit performance hodkinson put it" would be a blast
Not in how it's said, but in how it's read. Hodko would be smarting at present in full knowledge that he didn't play to his best. Turvey's words would hit him like a missile.

jpneves

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone know if we have a halves coach? I know Kimmorley was one years ago. I also know Matt Orford (who I didn't rate as a player) was one in Haslers first year. I have felt that Reynolds and Hodko play a little too close to the line and that Morris gets the ball with the defence right on him. Back in 09 Morris would get the ball with space and absolutely destroy his opposition.
Can we get Fittler or Matty Johns on board. Joey is too much at Manly or do what Roosters did and get Joey and Mattys coach to help our halves

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Matty Johns would be perfect for Reynolds in my opinion.

Reynolds works his arse off, but lacks the skills to match the best halves in the game.

Matthew Johns turned Cooper Cronk from a Reserve Grade hooker into a world class Halfback.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I reckon Hodko is at the crossroads of his career now quite frankly. He's played SOO and a GF this year.
He needs to go to another level, I just doubt his body allows him to do that.

Quite frankly, he played his most dominant games for us in his first year with us. The last game of the year in 2011 v Manly he was carving them up, got injured before half time not to return, and we lost to miss the semis. That is the best 40 mins I've seen him play, period.

Having said all that, defensively he is a machine, and his composure is unquestioned. Turvey is spot on, need more attacking productivity out of him. question is can he deliver?
Now or never Trent, c'mon son we all wAnt to see you do it!

Ahecee

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think this is helpful from Mortimer, I agree with what he actually said, but it would be better said directly rather than via the media.

What good comes from kicking Hodkinson right now?

DOGSOFWAR2013

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has time now to think about it without the distraction of the normal weekly comp running. Refresh the mind body and soul and return next year bigger and better. ( not constantly grubbing and kicking the ball into defenders).

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think this is helpful from Mortimer, I agree with what he actually said, but it would be better said directly rather than via the media.

Not point in stepping on egg shells, at least he has a whole off season to work on his game rather than blasting him half way through the season when he couldn't fix anything.

N

Natboy

he can put this into his motivation portfolio for next year
Has time now to think about it without the distraction of the normal weekly comp running. Refresh the mind body and soul and return next year bigger and better. ( not constantly grubbing and kicking the ball into defenders).
Exactly. You want him sitting there for the next month going through the emotions of I played bad, turvey said I was crap, was I that bad?, **** turvey, no he's right, can I do this?, maybe I am not up to it, HELL YES I'M UP TO IT!! Thanks Turvey
As some of you have said this is make or break for him. The pressure young players like Moses will put on him will work wonders for him or totally backfire or he will come out and kill it. I guess it all depends on how his knee pulls up because Moses might get the jump on him

Status
Not open for further replies.