Morris twins

Status
Not open for further replies.

Izzy Forreal

Much Loved Bulldogs Member
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been reading through the posts and apart from FaceBreaker being just a bit brutal and GrogDog into reassembling the body parts the hardest question is:

"When champion players suffer injuries that never heal and/or age kills off their ability, when do we move them on or let them play their careers out in reserve grade"?

Personally I think the age/injury thing has taken its toll on both Mozzles so I'm very much inclined to go for FaceBreaker's answer. That is put them in reserve grade (the mulcher) and hope that their dignity is stronger than their greed and they retire before their contract time is up. Surely if a player retires voluntarily the club isn't required to pay up unused contract time. So if they pulled the plug at the end of 2017 the $1million or so the club hangs on to would really ease the tight fit of the salary cap.

If this was to happen (Mozzles in reserve grade) there could be another club that's looking for a reasonably good left side wing/centre combination. Who knows?

DoggieDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
It is hard to believe that people are still advocating for morris brothers
Brett is that injury prone that he can't even back up after origin
Josh morris is the slowest back in the game including Hoppa
These guys have been great to club but it's time up for those guys

When was the last time we scored a 100 metre try? ( I hate des as much as all of you but this has nothing to do with structures)
It Is simply lack of speed

We should go for
Johny Tuivase sheck playing reserves
Daniel toupou speed and leap
James Roberts more speed than whole dogs team
Peachey - offer him a starting spot

Morris brothers are above million $$ you can potentially sign whole backline for those 2
Next year halves is not the issue
Nor Is forwards
It's the lack of pace

Izzy Forreal

2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There have been plenty of of posts on this thread (mine included) stating that its time up for Morris & Morris.

By the look of the Bulldogs draw for the rest of the season we would be lucky to win another game. I'm not slagging off at the Dogs, its what I really think.

By the look of our salary cap balls up we won't be buying another player real soon so I reckon we ought to give a couple of our reserve graders a go.

Please don't laugh but I'd like to see:

1 Montpya
2 Kennar
3 Hopoate
4 Lee
5 Stanley
6 Reynolds
7 Frawley

Why? Because they're all fit and can play the positions thy've been selected in.

All fit at the moment that is. :grinning::grinning::grinning:

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
There have been plenty of of posts on this thread (mine included) stating that its time up for Morris & Morris.

By the look of the Bulldogs draw for the rest of the season we would be lucky to win another game. I'm not slagging off at the Dogs, its what I really think.

By the look of our salary cap balls up we won't be buying another player real soon so I reckon we ought to give a couple of our reserve graders a go.

Please don't laugh but I'd like to see:

1 Montpya
2 Kennar
3 Hopoate
4 Lee
5 Stanley
6 Reynolds
7 Frawley

Why? Because they're all fit and can play the positions thy've been selected in.

All fit at the moment that is. :grinning::grinning::grinning:
I don't think I've ever seen Montoya pass the footy

Not a fullback

I'd give Cleeland a shot in the halves

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We need them gone in 2019 to build for the future. However if Foran stays fit we may not be the best side in the comp, but we will easily have one of the best left edges around.
Foran / Elliot / J.Morris / B.Morris all like to push up and play direct.

liljohny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Devils advocate here...

Josh is our top try scorer with 7 meat pies this year.

Im sure both would benefit from having better halves and fb opening up some space for them.

I agree they are not as good as they used to be but neither our our 1 7 and 9.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
IMO, the underlying problem is that by the time Lichaa gets the ball to whomever, the defence is already up on them & there is not much they can do. The WHOLE TEAM is affected by this one problem. So I would try Mbye at 9 to see how that affects the team. I don't know what Cleeland's kicking game is like, but he is certainly worth a try. If you make these 2 changes & let the players play footy I think it would make a big difference. We have nothing to lose.

I am sure if we gave the ball to our backs without the pressure they have been under all year, with the defence on top of them from the time they get the ball, they will have the space to make more metres & show of f their skills.

There you go Des - Plan B! A has not worked.

chriso

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
That's bullshit, they might not be as quick as used to be but they good defenders, safe and hard to stop 10 out as well as strong getting us out of trouble and rarely get pushed back like hoopa and others.
Brett has been one of the best in the first 2 origins and that's the pinnacle of league.
Sometimes you blokes look a bit to hard for people to blame for our situation when it's bloody obvious

Izzy Forreal

2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen Montoya pass the footy

Not a fullback

I'd give Cleeland a shot in the halves
Unfortunately the Bulldogs aren't a side capable of the razza matazz type of footy that includes its wingers in sweeping long range moves. Its more like the ball carrier asks the bloke outside him if he would like to take it.

Apart from scoring a try the only other time I've seen Montoya take the ball is to hit it up or running the ball inside away from the side line to avoid a scrum with the opposition having the loose and feed. That is... to save our arse.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm glad you started this thread Malla, because it saved me from doing it. Before the game my thoughts about the Mozzles were pretty much the same as yours but that beautiful try by Parra's winger Bevan French showed the huge difference between what we think or hope they can do and reality. Hopoate was shown up badly there too.

I know that Brenko Lee's defence has been laughed at but he is our best attacking centre and I'd like to see him back in first grade now. Since we've been rolled by both the Warriors and Parra I can't see us winning anything else this season so I'd prefer to see changes made now. I know it will never happen but my team (considering injuries) would be:

1. Montoya
2. B Morris
3. Hopoate
4. Lee
5. Kennar
6. Reynolds
7. Frawley
8. Fualalo
9. Mbye
10 Klemmer
11 Jackson
12 Faitala-Mariner
13 Elliot

14 Tolman
15 Kasiano
16 Tualau
17 To'Oamaga

It wont win a premiership but I think these players would at least give it their best shot and not die wondering.
Lol so you want to put montoya at fullback even though he has zero experience in the position, and dump Bmoz??? Come on mate, seriously?

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Both of these boys may not be as quick or as good as they used to be, but neither are playing badly. Bmoz is playing SOO for fucks sake!! But sure, lets al put the boot in since were not winning games. FMD
Jmoz is our longest serving player and has had a distinguished career, he deserves to go out on his terms, and i dont see any reason why both of them should not see out their respective contracts until the end of next year!!!

Izzy Forreal

2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Lol so you want to put montoya at fullback even though he has zero experience in the position, and dump Bmoz??? Come on mate, seriously?
Yeah, I know it sounds like the "Mad Professor Strikes Again" stuff and honestly it won't be the answer to all the Bulldogs problems. But there are a couple of reasons I'd give it a go.

With the usual team format Hasler keeps rolling out every week I think we will be lucky to win another game. So Montoya? I really like him as a winger. He's big, fast, strong, good under the high ball and shows nous when he gets us out of trouble hitting it up or getting it off the side line. Its true he's a rookie but as I don't think the Bulldogs have got much future in the 2017 comp I'd like to try him out now while we've got eight games to play. If he goes well we leave him there. If he cocks it up its back to the wing.

Brett Morris at his best was bloody brilliant. But now although he handles left wing pretty well I think he is too fragile to be put under the rigours of being our full time fullback. Josh Morris stuffed up his knee big time in 2014 and over the time since then has sorted the problem to a certain extent but not fully; he runs hard in a straight line but his swerve and step are gone. Both of these guys will be 31 yo at the end of this season and I think at their use by date. I said before that I'd like Montoya at fullback so that leaves Hopoate wanting a position. I think he was originally bought as a centre so I'd put him at left centre in JMoz's spot. WE also bought Richie Kennar a centre/winger from Melbourne. I'd like to see him in first grade now to find out whether or not he's a success or a dud. We're never going to find out how good he is while he is in the ISP.

So basically that's it. I honestly think the Mozzles will have had it by the end of this season. And as we're really going nowhere in this year's comp why not try out a few things now to see if they will be viable options for next year. And all it is:

Montoya? How will he go at fullback
Hopoate? Will he be a class centre
Kennar? Will he be good value or a dud?

Next year's buys? Aaron Woods will be a good value front rower adding a lot of grunt and fair bit of mongrel that's missing. Kieran Foran a great five eighth in his day but now coming with an unknown headspace and a buggered hamstring.

DoggieDogg

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Both of these boys may not be as quick or as good as they used to be, but neither are playing badly. Bmoz is playing SOO for fucks sake!! But sure, lets al put the boot in since were not winning games. FMD
Jmoz is our longest serving player and has had a distinguished career, he deserves to go out on his terms, and i dont see any reason why both of them should not see out their respective contracts until the end of next year!!!
What you are saying is your opinion
Not once I have said B morris is playing bad - but someone who is getting paid above half a million is so injury prone that every time he goes down everyone fears he gone for the year

And for josh morris - if it's about longest serving players then eastwood signed in 09 as well why kick him out
Same with Kasiano came up into the first grade with barba and Co in 09

I respect what Josh has done but when it comes to having the speed in the backline he ain't the answer with many others in the team
If this dogs team was so good then why have people stop turning upto games?
Why have people stopped watching games??

And let me say this if " Des Hasler " is the problem being the senior player in the team why does he always comes out and goes we support the systems we have in place lol?

Everyone is accountable for the shit that gets dished up every week and these two are no different

Izzy Forreal

2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
There's no way I'm ever going to put the boot into a champion footballer past or present. Since I'm a never waster, that is not good enough to be a has been, I haven't got the credentials to put the boot into anyone.

But since I've been a Dogs supporter for 56 years and I don't like the way the club is being run now I reckon I'm allowed to have an opinion and make a suggestion.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's over for them.

Not the same, they aren't as strong and quick as they used to be. Brett still is a very classy finisher, and Josh is still a good defender, but aside from that they are average at best.

We should try and move them end of this season. So many better backs out there that can come for so much cheaper.
Luckily we've signed smith and holland

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Josh Morris is playing better than I've seen in years to be honest.

Brett Morris on the other hand is broken and you could see last night was preserving himself for a big paycheck to play for NSW.
Won't get picked

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Both Morris twins are still worth persisting with in the team. Defensively they're both great and they're both pretty capable in attack. Wh they have lost in youth they make up for with experience. Put a half inside them that can create space for them and you'll see them at their best. They tend to get the ball very close to the sideline quite often now and have to create their own space with directional changes.

My biggest criticism of either twin is that Josh at times can be a ball hog. I've seen plenty of tried bombed because he backed himself when a pass was 99% certain to put his winger over the line. But I think he's still better than our back up centres.

turveys asthma puffer

Kennel Established
Reaction score
TBH they are definitely not the players they were several years ago- but I have been mildly impressed with J Mozs' output. He's definitely trying, getting decent enough early ball. Just a shame he hogs it from his brother too much.

Still think we need both of them for at least another year. You can't say they're holding back our backline, considering if B Moz was gone, in come Holland...
They are both still in out best possible starting side. I would prefer them both on the wings. Josh stands way too flat at centre and this is part of the reason that the halves look clueless. He backs up well but doesn't hit holes at speed the way the strike centres like Dylan Walker do. Having them either side of the field would improve our kick return game and Josh would have less need to pass. Brett and Brenko had some success as a combo on the right in the earlier games before supercoach put the twins together on the left.

Status
Not open for further replies.