More brain damage: So who's next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Playing rugby league gave me brain damage, says South Sydney legend Mario Fenech
DEAN RITCHIE THE DAILY TELEGRAPH MARCH 17, 2014 12:00AM

Mario Fenech suffered brain damage playing rugby league.Mario Fenech suffered brain damage playing rugby league. Source: News Limited

MARIO Fenech has revealed he has suffered brain damage which is believed to be the result of head knocks while playing rugby league.

It’s an admission that will rock the concussion debate, which began last week after former Australian forward Ian Roberts also said he had been *diagnosed with brain damage.

Fenech, the former South Sydney legend, was advised to have scans recently which revealed “some damage’’.

“Over 15 seasons I had plenty of head knocks,” Fenech said. “I was advised to have a scan and it showed there was some damage. I had some memory loss and thought I better get it checked out.

“The damage wasn’t that bad but I have been told to have another set of scans. In my day, I was knocked senseless eight or nine times. That’s the way the game was back then.

“I only got the scans for my benefit to make sure I am OK.”

Fenech played 274 games for Souths, Norths and the South Queensland.

“I knew (concussion) was part of the deal,” Fenech said. “That’s how it worked.

“It was a hard game back in those days.

“The NRL has a duty of care to its players and are working hard to make it a fair game and to make sure there isn’t any dramas At the end of the day, I am just looking after my welfare.

“As I get older I want to make sure I am fine. Being healthy is important.”

Ex-Manly fullback Shannon Nevin has also spoken about being concussed 15 times during his career. He described concussed teammates as being “zombies”.

“Being a fullback I would be talking to them in defence and be telling them to go one way, and it’s like they were looking through you,” he told The Manly Daily.

Mark Geyer will also have brain scans to determine whether he has any damage.

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
probably the way he used to play.

[video=youtube;zgVHHBPcfCY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgVHHBPcfCY[/video]

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yes he is not the sharpest tool in the shed.

Its now Roberts, Geyer & now Fenech.

How else is going to join the list? How much money would they be after?

blueyedsamurai

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If anyone has brain damage I would think it would be Martin Lang. He would just run full pelt every ball and his head would always look like it was going to pop off

vietorious

pho-lawless
Reaction score
Pretty sure Gallen is there now.

Would take a semi trailer to do that sort of damage to Nate Myles. You could play another game of NRL on his forhead

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Martin Lang got hit so hard once, I thought a Pez was gonna fly out his neck ...

(Copyright "LeagueFreak" 2014)
:thumb: :becky:

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Would you throw Toovey in there?

Alot of anger in a little man.

Özil

Hava Nagila
Reaction score
Anyone remember this Parra player?

With his signature being chased after by the majority of ARL clubs Ritson eventually agreed to sign for the Parramatta Eels for the start of the 1996 season. Adam was placed into the Eels starting line-up with immediate effect and after playing just eleven games for his new club struck tragedy in a fixture against the Canberra Raiders. Just two minutes into the game he was knocked unconscious after a dangerous high tackle from Canberra forward John Lomax and with the completion of the game and a routine scan it was discovered he had a life-threatening brain cyst. Ritson then went on to have fourteen operations over the next year several of which nearly left him dead, eventually he made a full recovery but was never the same and retired from the game later that year at the age of twenty.

After his career was effectively over at such a young age a lawsuit was filed by Ritson first against Lomax for the high tackle but was then shifted towards his club the Raiders instead. Eventually the case was settled out of court with Ritson being given a six-figure sum.

Kayser

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Martin Lang got hit so hard once, I thought a Pez was gonna fly out his neck ...

(Copyright "LeagueFreak" 2014)

:thumb: :becky:
yeah, there where a few times when I thought he was never going to wake up

Stoofy

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
[video=youtube;2LViNhAZDaU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LViNhAZDaU[/video]

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quick blake jump on the brain damage bandwagon, you could have a brand new defence due to head knocks you have sustaned ,it has given your arm an involuntary twitch.

Stringer

CAR RAMROD
Reaction score
I remember Willie Carne always getting knocked out, wonder how he is these days.

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So is that why he goes on the Footy Show week in, week out to be pissed and sht on?

Papa Emeritus

Who wants their taint tickled?
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone that has seen Mario on the Footy Show would know he isn't the full quid. I am sure head knocks played a part but I doubt that is the only reason.

I don't understand how a study like this can be conducted without a proper control group. Also you have no idea what someone has done post footy that could have compounded the problem. You cannot just point the finger at head knocks in sport.

This is going to result in more knee jerk reactions.

Nano

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone that has seen Mario on the Footy Show would know he isn't the full quid. I am sure head knocks played a part but I doubt that is the only reason.

I don't understand how a study like this can be conducted without a proper control group. Also you have no idea what someone has done post footy that could have compounded the problem. You cannot just point the finger at head knocks in sport.

This is going to result in more knee jerk reactions.
Pretty much, people could have abused substances or just not be that bright in life before footy yet they will blame footy for what has happened to them lol...

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Anyone remember this Parra player?
Yep, started his career at Cronulla. Had a very bright future ahead of him

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
We had a junior/lower-grades player in the last 80's/early 90's who was airlifted out of Belmore playing against StGeorge during a night match. Slammed his head into the ground in an otherwise innocent looking tackle and got knocked out for well over 20mins.

Can't remember his name for the life of me (Greg something-or-other maybe ?), but I recall he became wheelchair bound with profound physical deterioration.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've no doubt Mario's brain damaged. His missus is smokin though.

Status
Not open for further replies.