Moore backs Idris' replacement Lafai

Status
Not open for further replies.

S4Sonny

Ooh Ahh Cantona
Reaction score
Canterbury coach Kevin Moore has hailed young centre Tim Lafai as a future NRL star while describing his decision to dump drawcard Jamal Idris for Sunday's clash with Cronulla as a no-brainer.

Idris, who will join Gold Coast at the start of next season on a lucrative five-year contract, was dropped a day after failing to front for training on Monday.

Moore had given his players four days off as they enjoyed the bye and Idris travelled to the Gold Coast during the break but didn't return in time to rejoin his team-mates.

Speaking on Wednesday, Moore said Idris' replacement, fellow 20-year-old Lafai, was a star in the making for the Belmore-based side.

"He's (Lafai) a good young kid, he came in for Josh Morris for four or five games early in the year and I think he scored a try and got Man of the Match or Players Player on debut," Moore said.

"He's a big part of the future of the club obviously with Jamal leaving next year.

"Timmy is a bloke who we've got earmarked to play a lot of first grade down the track and I've got no doubt he'll do the club proud."

Moore said it had been an easy decision to drop Idris, who made his Kangaroos debut in the ANZAC Test in May.

"It wasn't really a tough call at all, the standards that we try to set at the club are critical to what you do week in week out and Jamal overstepped the mark, he missed training on Monday and he's going to pay the price for it," he said.

"It's a team sport, everyone's got to abide by the rules and Jamal didn't and we've had to keep him out of the team for this weekend.

"We had 27 other blokes turn up here on Monday morning in pretty ordinary conditions after a break with the bye and they all ripped into a very difficult session and Jamal wasn't here.

"In team sport, even in junior league, if you don't turn up to training you don't play. It's a simple as that."

The Bulldogs sit in eighth spot on the NRL ladder after an indifferent start to the season.

Moore has copped criticism for his side's inconsistent performances after the club shelled out big money for the likes of Frank Pritchard, Aiden Tolman, Kris Keating and Trent Hodkinson in the off-season to bolster an already-powerful squad.

Despite speculation that his coaching career could be on the line, Moore said at no point had he been tempted to let Idris take the field against Cronulla.

"You can't worry about external stuff, you've got your standards and you've got to stick to them and that's pretty much what I've done this week," Moore said.

Moore said his side would also be buoyed by the return from injury of forwards Aidan Tollman and Greg Eastwood, both who have been named in the side for the Sharks clash.

"They trained pretty good today but we'll see how they pull up tomorrow and hopefully they're back on deck on Sunday."

G

Gladiator.

No sh*t, people were calling for Lafai to replace Idris BEFORE Jamal signed with GC, took you long enough numb nuts.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
It's a big call but Jamal's form hasn't even warranted NSW cup selection the past couple of weeks. He's been ok in patches but no where near rep player or consistent first grade quality.

G

Gladiator.

It's a big call but Jamal's form hasn't even warranted NSW cup selection the past couple of weeks. He's been ok in patches but no where near rep player or consistent first grade quality.
Have to agree, seems he talks more about how he wants to perform for NSW week in week out, and completely forgets he plays for Canterbury. I am hoping Lafai has a blinder and keeps Idris out of the squad.

sgodllubsti

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
idris wont go to far in the nrl,his attitude will bring him undone. nsw cup from now on with idris

give lafai his chance, to cement a permanent spot ahead of idris

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I've named Lafai at centre in my teams since he got dropped, with Idris on the bench to play back row. Glad to see he finally gets another shot in top grade.

ThePedigree

Blue Ribbon
Reaction score
NRL rumour mill is saying Jamal was spotted up on GC with titans players over the long weekend and that the dogs also had the sh!ts because they say he is already focusing on the titans not just that he didn't show on Monday.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
This is it, a good win on Sunday kick starts our season

Book

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know about the rest of you, but I have serious doubts about Idris.

I think he is a bit of a cat.

As if he didn't know about training times.

When he did turn up to training since the Manly game he has been training in the forwards with Lafai in the centres.
He probably spat the dummy, not only because he thinks he is the best centre going around but the fact he would have to aim
up against a pretty formidable forward pack this Sunday.

The repercussion from this could be that he will ask for an early release and join GC before the 30 June deadline
As far as I am concerned he can pack his handbag and p1ss off to GC now.

Good riddance.

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
I've always doubted Idris.

I knew he was a bad egg right from the start.

The sooner he is gone the better.

He's another Willie Mason, but at least Willie put in on the field.

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
Lafai is that good on his feet, he could almost walk on water ... Well, skim across it anyways.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
The additions of Lafai, Tolman, Eastwood and Roberts for this game should give us a massive boost in the attack and forwards depts. Looking forward to the game big time

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
"Timmy is a bloke who we've got earmarked to play a lot of first grade down the track and I've got no doubt he'll do the club proud."
down the track? how far are we talking? how about we start this weekend 'down the track' instead of persisting for 3 months with an underperformer...........

fmd the bloke is frustrating

Status
Not open for further replies.