Mitchell Pearce

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Why does everyone always want elite ? ..

Just go to NZ, Fiji, PNG, U.K or opposition clubs lower grades and find us 2 or 3 big bodied intimidating props, all we need them to do is run hard, run straight, eat up the metres and make it tough for the opposition to get them to ground … over time work with them to develop an offload.

While they’re there, find us 2 tough as nails tall powerful tackle breaking centres with decent speed ..

Other clubs are finding them, Manly seem to find them all the time, I’m sure we can …

Thompsons $800k & TPJ’s $950k can easily buy us those 5 players like that and leave us change.

Put them around the talent and speed we already have and watch us climb up the ladder !
FMD I think your maths needs some work, no one will get 5 x NRL quality players for $1,750k, that's a miserable $350k each. (Puting aside that the $1,750k is miles of the mark). The average for a Top 30 player is $12m / 30 = $400k, that's not Top 17, it includes 13 x NSW Cup players at best. An NRL prop, that gets picked automatically every week, is in the 17 for every game, has no injury or judiciary issues, isn't too old or too young is gunna cost $500k to $550 every day of the week. If they are a rep prop add $200k.

Always a Bulldog

Last edited:

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And what about the other millions of cap space we have to spend. Your model makes no sense. We aren't signing any more centres. 2 of Alamoti, Xerri and Averillo will be centre. Pele is also a ~20 minute prop, our starting middles don't compete against the best.
We’re not discussing how much cap space is available or who we currently have as our centres.

We’re discussing half’s as in Pearce or Hunt, and what’s best to improve our position on the ladder, I don’t believe either Hunt or Pearce are players we need, and I don’t believe your suggestions of Haas and co as our Props will ever be signed either.

At least my model of ..

9 Mahoney
6 Averillo
7 Burton
1 Crichton

and then going out there and finding more Pele type muscle to put around them is realistic .. if a players big intimidating punching holes and making metres but only playing 20 minutes, those minutes can be improved !

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
If he was on 500k in the cap then that would be correct. 500k outside the cap doesn't mean we have to play him now (signed up long term), but unless we sign an experienced quality half (unlikely) he will play because he's the next best option. Also food for thought Storm are paying Jack Howarth 500k in the cap to play reserve grade.
Cap or no cap is irrelevant.
You don’t part with $500k unless you’re serious about the investment you’re making and the club must’ve thought he was a nearer term prospect for that sort of transfer fee. We are obviously playing him now to be ready for a bigger role in 2024 when Flanagan and probably Reynolds will both be gone.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FMD I think your maths needs some work, no one will get 5 x NRL quality players for $1,750k, that's a miserable $350k each. (Puting aside that the $1,750k is miles of the mark). The average for a Top 30 player is $12m / 30 = $400k, that's not Top 17, it includes 13 x NSW Cup players at best. An NRL prop, that gets picked automatically every week, is in the 17 for every game, has no injury or judiciary issues, isn't too old or too young is gunna cost $500k to $550 every day of the week.

Always a Bulldog
How much do you think Pele is on ?

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
How much do you think Pele is on ?
He plays 25 mins a game, actually he's on the field for 25 mins a game, plays about half of that.

Let me quote you again;
We need more power in our team, players that get us rolling down the field chewing up metres, 3 powerful props would be great
3 props = an average of 53 minutes each.

Pele's an impact player, not an 50 to 60 minute prop "chewing up metres". If he ever gets to 50+ minutes a game with any sort of impact then he will be getting $500k to $550K minimum.

Always a Bulldog

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I remember Barrett playing Averillo at 7, not sure I remember seeing him at 6.

JMO, but I believe Averillo is an out and out very fast running 6 .. 7 wasn’t good for him because he’s not suited to that thinking role or a big kicker … he should be in a position that best utilises his running stepping and passing game .. that’s 6 ..

Here’s something else to consider, Cronk, JT, Adam Reynolds & Cleary were ordinary for their first few years, but their clubs persisted with them, they continued to work with them and develop them into the role until they became elite players ..

Our club over the past has puts Averillo into the 7 & after 6 games moved him to left centre, back to Cup footy, next week back to 7, back to left centre, then to fullback, then to right centre ..

Put him in the 6 pick and stick develop him and I’d put big money on him to become an elite 6 by the time he’s 24 ..
Jake played the first half of 2021 at five eight. Him and Flanagan were the halves.

He moved to 7 when Flanagan got axed. He was ordinary in both positions.

He is going decent at centre

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He plays 25 mins a game, actually he's on the field for 25 mins a game, plays about half of that.

Let me quote you again;

3 props = an average of 53 minutes each.

Pele's an impact player, not an 50 to 60 minute prop "chewing up metres". If he ever gets to 50+ minutes a game with any sort of impact then he will be getting $500k to $550K minimum.

Always a Bulldog
FMD, as per usual you take everything literally and over analyse everything, I’m not a person who recruits players for Nrl clubs and neither are you, but I do know if you go find 3 young up and coming intimidating big props from Fiji, NZ or PNG they’re not going to be starting on a 1/2 mill contract.

Here’s the top 100 top paid Nrl players, prob bit out dated, but have a look at the last 20 & see how much they’re on, some as low as $275k

Image1683615813.307919.jpg

Image1683615828.033867.jpg

We have a ton of off contract players maybe I wasn’t exact to the dollar but if you think we can’t afford 3 props and 2 centres your dreamin ..

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
FMD, as per usual you take everything literally and over analyse everything, I’m not a person who recruits players for Nrl clubs and neither are you, but I do know if you go find 3 young up and coming intimidating big props from Fiji, NZ or PNG they’re not going to be starting on a 1/2 mill contract.

Here’s the top 100 top paid Nrl players, prob bit out dated, but have a look at the last 20 & see how much they’re on, some as low as $275k

View attachment 70778

View attachment 70779

We have a ton of off contract players maybe I wasn’t exact to the dollar but if you think we can’t afford 3 props and 2 centres your dreamin ..
When’s the last time the nrl sources a prop from Fiji or PNG?
Name 2?

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When’s the last time the nrl sources a prop from Fiji or PNG?
Name 2?
Exactly, so hopefully there’s plenty ready to go and waiting for their shot.

Again, I mention places to look, it doesn’t mean they literally have to come from there, I’m really saying think outside the box instead of wishing we could buy million dollar players that are out of our reach ..

A lot of people on here think one dimensionally and look for arguments !

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly, so hopefully there’s plenty ready to go and waiting for their shot.

Again, I mention places to look, it doesn’t mean they literally have to come from there, I’m really saying think outside the box instead of wishing we could buy million dollar players that are out of our reach ..

A lot of people on here think one dimensionally and look for arguments !
I don’t think they exist in Fiji.
It’s a union country. I could be wrong, but. I don’t even know if they have a proper league comp!

edit:
looks like they do have one competiton to feed the silk tails.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t think they exist in Fiji.
It’s a union country. I could be wrong, but. I don’t even know if they have a proper league comp!

edit:
looks like they do have one competiton to feed the silk tails.
Current Fijian Rugby League players ..

Image1683623040.500889.jpg

If there’s no big players we could source in PNG why are they making a bid for a team in the Nrl ?

PNG team in the NRL?

Australia Prime Minister Anthony Albanese has backed the idea of a Papua New Guinea franchise entering the NRL competition. (The Age)

“I’m very keen to see a rugby league team participate in the NRL that would be based in Papua New Guinea and involve our Pacific Island friends,” Albanese told The Age earlier this week.

Schooled ..

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Current Fijian Rugby League players ..

View attachment 70788

Schooled ..
Schooled my bum.
Every single one of those players are born and raised in Australia or NZ except for Tui or Sivo who came from Fijian Union.

which is my point I was alluding too so you actually got schooled by me - rockjob!

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Schooled my bum.
Every single one of those players are born and raised in Australia or NZ except for Tui or Sivo who came from Fijian Union.

which is my point I was alluding too so you actually got schooled by me - rockjob!
Well champ what about the ones who weren’t born and raised here, that still live over there & play rugby league over there, don’t any of those exist ?

Have you ever been over to Fifi ? … I have and they’re big powerful boys and they love their footy !

Schooled !

lovemachine

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well champ what about the ones who weren’t born and raised here, that still live over there & play rugby league over there, don’t any of those exist ?

Have you ever been over to Fifi ? … I have and they’re big powerful boys and they love their footy !

Schooled !
Ok why not then go to Iceland and recruit there then as they are also big powerful boys.
And who did you steal ‘schooled’ from?

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who keeps bringing his name up, left the Knights because he was brain dead .

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok why not then go to Iceland and recruit there then as they are also big powerful boys.
And who did you steal ‘schooled’ from?
The term getting schooled was around before you or any of your other young mates were even on the map, to think it’s a recent term is just arrogant ?

They play a lot of rugby league in Fiji … have you been there ?

Do they even play rugby league in Iceland ?

Schooled again ..