Mitchell Pearce

Cappuccino

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It was a large upfront investment in KO but not out of the cap. So whilst it’s a lot of cash from whatever wallet it came from to the Bronco’s. KO is a steal on the cap. With a big upside.

Unfortunately we are full of 6’s and no 7’s. We don’t need to break the bank but we absolutely need to find a game managing 7. With genuine 7’s as rare as rocking horse shit. We need to do something. Looking at current 7’s that are not getting a go at their current club. There are three options I can see that are better than what we have. Any one of them would be a good option.

Braydon Trindall - 24 (In 2024)
Toby Sexton - 23 (In 2024)
Sam Walker - 22 (In 2024)
We had Sexton here and some fuckin nong in the corporate space forgot to set a reminder.

Sexton could have still been in Bulldogs colours if not for a sliding doors moment that delivered him to the Titans.

“He had an option in the contract for the fourth year but due to a change of staff at the Bulldogs they missed the deadline,” Bartlett said.

ChesoBulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We had Sexton here and some fuckin nong in the corporate space forgot to set a reminder.

Sexton could have still been in Bulldogs colours if not for a sliding doors moment that delivered him to the Titans.

“He had an option in the contract for the fourth year but due to a change of staff at the Bulldogs they missed the deadline,” Bartlett said.
Sexton is not a good player though.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
We will not see value in KO this season, probably next season. But as you said, it will prove to be a bargain. Already seen more from him in 2 weeks than I have from Flanno in 2 years lol
Flanagan's one of the worst halves to ever play NRL. Okunbor at half would offer more than Flanagan.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some very good comments around 7’s in this thread … I’m surprised this point hasn’t been raised already, what’s wrong with Burton as our 7, in 2 games I think he’s shown a lot of promise, why go out and spend $1million on hunt when with some patience and guidance we could easily develop Burton into that role.

And while we’re at it, not one person has answered my question on why Averillo isn’t our long term solution to the 6 role ?

There’s a talented spine right there !

9 Mahoney
6 Averillo
7 Burton
1 Crichton

Someone tell me what’s wrong with that spine ?

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Some very good comments around 7’s in this thread … I’m surprised this point hasn’t been raised already, what’s wrong with Burton as our 7, in 2 games I think he’s shown a lot of promise, why go out and spend $1million on hunt when with some patience and guidance we could easily develop Burton into that role.

And while we’re at it, not one person has answered my question on why Averillo isn’t our long term solution to the 6 role ?

9 Mahoney
6 Averillo
7 Burton
1 Crichton

compare the spine to the top teams then look at what they have in outside backs and forwards (e.g. Bronco "only" have Walsh and Reynolds but have Haas and Carrigan). That's the problem.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

9 Mahoney
6 Averillo
7 Burton
1 Crichton

Umm, no one has mentioned it because Jake has played a fair few games in the halves and he was ordinary

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
compare the spine to the top teams then look at what they have in outside backs and forwards (e.g. Bronco "only" have Walsh and Reynolds but have Haas and Carrigan). That's the problem.
Exactly the comment I was looking for, so run with that spine and put the money towards 2 big powerful Props & 2 powerful centres, they get us going forward and these 4 with a bit more development will be more than capable of doing the rest .. add to that Kiraz, JAC, Preston, Kikau ..

We have the spine, we need more metre eating power !

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

9 Mahoney
6 Averillo
7 Burton
1 Crichton

Swap Avo for Karl at 6 and thats probably where we are headed. Avo will be centre or 14.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I don't think we are actively looking for one but I think Hunt would be an opportunistic signing.
Yeh but what for? Burton came here to play halves and we already spent 500k plus to get ko in. And Hunt wouldnt come to play off the bench. Id be pissed off if we signed a half now. We dont even need burton in the backs next year so dont see us moving him either. The whole thread is pointless

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Exactly the comment I was looking for, so run with that spine and put the money towards 2 big powerful Props & 2 powerful centres, they get us going forward and these 4 with a bit more development will be more than capable of doing the rest .. add to that Kiraz, JAC, Preston, Kikau ..

We have the spine, we need more metre eating power !
Yeah so we need Haas, Koloamatangi and/or Fotuaika (who all will cost a fortune on the cap - I would do it but will the club?) and the odds of us getting any of those are very low. Also nothing available for 2024, only 2025.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Umm, no one has mentioned it because Jake has played a fair few games in the halves and he was ordinary
I remember Barrett playing Averillo at 7, not sure I remember seeing him at 6.

JMO, but I believe Averillo is an out and out very fast running 6 .. 7 wasn’t good for him because he’s not suited to that thinking role or a big kicker … he should be in a position that best utilises his running stepping and passing game .. that’s 6 ..

Here’s something else to consider, Cronk, JT, Adam Reynolds & Cleary were ordinary for their first few years, but their clubs persisted with them, they continued to work with them and develop them into the role until they became elite players ..

Our club over the past has puts Averillo into the 7 & after 6 games moved him to left centre, back to Cup footy, next week back to 7, back to left centre, then to fullback, then to right centre ..

Put him in the 6 pick and stick develop him and I’d put big money on him to become an elite 6 by the time he’s 24 ..

Last edited:

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeh but what for? Burton came here to play halves and we already spent 500k plus to get ko in. And Hunt wouldnt come to play off the bench. Id be pissed off if we signed a half now. We dont even need burton in the backs next year so dont see us moving him either. The whole thread is pointless
Hey Dog, I’ve seen you quote the $500k quite a few times … let me address that first.

The underground word is the Broncos put out the $500k transfer fee because of Bennett, he was going hard for KO and rumoured to be causing a lot of the agitating re the original contract, obviously Bennett & Broncos have history, Broncos just didn’t want him to get him.

Gus’s came in and helped them save face and apparently a mutual “deal” was struck, word is it wasn’t even $100k ..

The other question is, do Gus & CC think it’s best for KO’s development to throw him the full time 6 role in 1st grade at just 18 years of age ..

JMO but I don’t think it is, Is there much of a history of these blokes coming in that young and going on the have successful long term careers, look at Sam Walker for example, I’d like to see them continue KO’s development alternating between Cup & then off the bench in 1st grade every 2nd 3 game as a 6 or a 13 ..

Again, JMO.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yeah so we need Haas, Koloamatangi and/or Fotuaika (who all will cost a fortune on the cap - I would do it but will the club?) and the odds of us getting any of those are very low. Also nothing available for 2024, only 2025.
Why does everyone always want elite ? ..

Just go to NZ, Fiji, PNG, U.K or opposition clubs lower grades and find us 2 or 3 big bodied intimidating props, all we need them to do is run hard, run straight, eat up the metres and make it tough for the opposition to get them to ground … over time work with them to develop an offload.

While they’re there, find us 2 tough as nails tall powerful tackle breaking centres with decent speed ..

Other clubs are finding them, Manly seem to find them all the time, I’m sure we can …

Thompsons $800k & TPJ’s $950k can easily buy us those 5 players like that and leave us change.

Put them around the talent and speed we already have and watch us climb up the ladder !

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Why does everyone always want elite ? ..

Just go to NZ, Fiji, PNG, U.K or opposition clubs lower grades and find us 2 or 3 big bodied intimidating props, all we need them to do is run hard, run straight, eat up the metres and make it tough for the opposition to get them to ground … over time work with them to develop an offload.

While they’re there, find us 2 tough as nails tall powerful tackle breaking centres with decent speed ..

Other clubs are finding them, Manly seem to find them all the time, I’m sure we can …

Thompsons $800k & TPJ’s $950k can easily buy us those 5 players and leave us change.

Put them around the talent and speed we already have and watch us climb up the ladder !
We need quality/elite or nothings going to change. Yes, it's good to get a couple of signings like King (nowhere near a marquee middles level) and Preston but you sign those players on the side and we need a marquee middle. If we have ambition of winning a comp any time soon anyways.

TPJ not on 925k here. Bronco chipping in.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We need quality/elite or nothings going to change. Yes, it's good to get a couple of signings like King and Preston but we need a marquee middle.
No we don’t, few more Pele’s and 2 powerful centres is all we need ..

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
No we don’t, few more Pele’s and 2 powerful centres is all we need ..
And what about the other millions of cap space we have to spend. Your model makes no sense. We aren't signing any more centres. 2 of Alamoti, Xerri and Averillo will be centre. Pele is also a ~20 minute prop, our starting middles don't compete against the best.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Braydon Trindall - 24 (In 2024)
Toby Sexton - 23 (In 2024)
Sam Walker - 22 (In 2024)
This would be a better investment than senior citizens at the end of their careers. I don’t think the Chooks will let Walker go though, despite dropping him, he’s a long term project. The other two, maybe, but I still think the club has made their direction clear by paying $500k for an untested junior that they’re now easing into FG.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
This would be a better investment than senior citizens at the end of their careers. I don’t think the Chooks will let Walker go though, despite dropping him, he’s a long term project. The other two, maybe, but I still think the club has made their direction clear by paying $500k for an untested junior that they’re now easing into FG.
If he was on 500k in the cap then that would be correct. 500k outside the cap doesn't mean we have to play him now (signed up long term), but unless we sign an experienced quality half (unlikely) he will play because he's the next best option. Also food for thought Storm are paying Jack Howarth 500k in the cap to play reserve grade.

Last edited: