News Misfiring Milford’s shock $600,000 asking price

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I think with Williams it was a combination of self preservation instincts after copping some injuries coupled with a bit of laziness after he felt he'd made it big time. He ran like a wrecking ball when he burst onto the scene, but a knee injury and some associated time out of the game saw him lose that kamikaze style of running. Even when his salary dropped back he was never able to find it again.
He was also clinically depressed, I don't know how that affected his football if at all.

Magic Arrow

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'd take Milford at 400k no problem. Him and Burton could be a lethal halves combination.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What the fuck is wrong with these blokes?? The size of his pay packet put's too much pressure on him??????????? Seriously cahunt read that back to yourself.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
1 year contract of 300k to play off the bench as a utility. No pressure of a big paycheck.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
What the fuck is wrong with these blokes?? The size of his pay packet put's too much pressure on him??????????? Seriously cahunt read that back to yourself.
I think it can be a factor TBH.

The money is great for sure, and his manager did a great job in getting it, but the higher a salary, the greater the expectation. I once had a carnt of a boss who, when he'd get the shits with me, he's say: "I'm paying you good fucking money to do this job!" Which he was, mind, but the expectations almost made me start to regret the salary i was on. I eventually quit before i had a mental breakdown and started my own firm, taking a huge pay cut for a few years, but without the pressure I was so much happier and better at my job.

I recall when Chris Sandow signed with the Eels with what was, at the time, an extraordinary sum. The resulting expectations was attributed by many, to be part of his eventual downfall.

Last edited:

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Worth more closer to 60k...
fkn LOL..and spot on, worryingly a few kennellers have asked should we go there....i say we should give this guy a very wide berth imo he is goneski, has had too many years on the big coin sitting on his arse and counting it.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
He needs a new start at another club
If he wishes to save his career he definitely need a change, whether its another NRL club or Super League.

He's played almost 200 games and is only 26. As a young bloke had so much talent to burn.

EzyB

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly I’ll take him for 300k and play him fullback

COVENS

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
If the money was right, 350k max - I'd take him for a year and attempt to rehab him. Not sure what position but wouldn't be the worst thing to try in the 1,6,9 and 14 roles.

alchemist

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Probably. He's a lot like Barba, a massive cat
Barba was only a cat off the field whereas Milford is a cat across the board

on its face, Milford is worth signing on a significantly reduced contract to play 1, 6 or 14... but the second a player plays the homesick card to manoeuvre a move to the Broncos, and as justification I have to hear how Samoans and Polynesians are more connected to their families than the rest of us, then their professionalism is in question

not worth the risk

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Barba was only a cat off the field whereas Milford is a cat across the board

on its face, Milford is worth signing on a significantly reduced contract to play 1, 6 or 14... but the second a player plays the homesick card to manoeuvre a move to the Broncos, and as justification I have to hear how Samoans and Polynesians are more connected to their families than the rest of us, then their professionalism is in question

not worth the risk
Probably not worth the risk, but it's a sign of how desperate i think we are that i probably would still gamble on him simply because of how shit our current 1,6 or 14 are =.=

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Revealed: Misfiring Milford’s shock asking price
- Peter Badel and Travis Meyn

Anthony Milford called an urgent meeting with Kevin Walters to discuss his Broncos future as Queensland rivals the Titans became the latest club to baulk at the embattled playmaker’s $600,000 asking price.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Milford fronted Walters for a one-on-one discussion on Wednesday at Red Hill following revelations Brisbane’s off-contract $1 million pivot will not be offered a new deal for next season.

Milford was told the Broncos have not made a definitive call on his future, but the under fire five-eighth‘s second axing in a month is emphatic evidence Walters is losing faith in the highest-paid player in Brisbane’s history.

It is understood Broncos bosses have already begun formulating a full-time roster for 2022 and Milford’s name has not been included in their squad projections, with Kotoni Staggs and Adam Reynolds to be Brisbane’s first-choice halves.

Milford will turn out for Souths Logan against the Capras on Sunday in the Intrust Super Cup and he needs to produce a devastating form burst to convince the Broncos to offer him a new deal.

During the meeting, Milford allegedly disputed that he was one of the chief underachievers in Brisbane’s 50-6 Magic Round loss to Manly. He agreed with Walters that his form was below par, but suggested it was difficult for playmakers to shine against a Manly side that hammered Brisbane’s forwards in midfield.

Walters confirmed the meeting and said he had put the ball in Milford’s court to prove he deserves a new contract.

Former Queensland coach Kevin Walters (left), now at the Broncos, was the mentor who gave Anthony Milford his maiden Maroons Origin jumper.

Former Queensland coach Kevin Walters (left), now at the Broncos, was the mentor who gave Anthony Milford his maiden Maroons Origin jumper.
“Milf and I have had a discussion and he is aware of what he needs to work on,” Walters said.

“It’s not the end. It’s up to Anthony, he makes that decision (on his future), not me.

“I keep saying Anthony has control of his career, not the Broncos or this football club.

“Right now is the time (for him to perform), when he went back last time to the Intrust Super Cup he performed well, so we expect him to do the same.

“There’s lot of parts in his game that need work and he will go back and work on that in the Intrust Super Cup.

“We have a clear picture on where we are going and how we are going about it.”

Milford’s management is seeking around $600,000 a season from prospective NRL suitors, but that price tag could convince the Titans to walk away from signing the former Queensland Origin super-sub.

The Titans are reluctant to pay more than $400,000 annually for Milford. Titans coach Justin Holbrook has some interest in Milford, but it is believed Gold Coast culture boss Mal Meninga is not interested in a bidding war for the 26-year-old.

Anthony Milford wants to remain a Bronco but Alex Glenn thinks change could be good for the embattled playmaker.

Anthony Milford wants to remain a Bronco but Alex Glenn thinks change could be good for the embattled playmaker.
Broncos skipper Alex Glenn said Milford was a victim of his much-hyped $1 million salary.

“The reality of it is if ‘Milf’ wasn’t on a million dollars, he wouldn’t be getting dropped. That’s the reality I feel,” he said.

“The pay packet definitely puts pressure on him, his name and his future in the game.

“That is something Milf is struggling with – blocking out that pressure. We shouldn’t put too much pressure on him because of his pay packet.

“In order for him to get back to playing his best footy, he needs to find the love of why he started playing again.”

Asked if a move to the Titans could represent a fresh start for Milford, Glenn said: “Change is never a bad thing, it challenges you to go out of your comfort zone,
“I’d love to see him stay at the Broncos, but if change is part of his future I don’t see it being a bad thing for him.

“Milf plays his best when he is free … he needs to find the love in footy again.”

Bellamy to the rescue !!!

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanagan or Milford. Who is the better playmaker?