News Misfiring Milford’s shock $600,000 asking price

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Revealed: Misfiring Milford’s shock asking price
- Peter Badel and Travis Meyn

Anthony Milford called an urgent meeting with Kevin Walters to discuss his Broncos future as Queensland rivals the Titans became the latest club to baulk at the embattled playmaker’s $600,000 asking price.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Milford fronted Walters for a one-on-one discussion on Wednesday at Red Hill following revelations Brisbane’s off-contract $1 million pivot will not be offered a new deal for next season.

Milford was told the Broncos have not made a definitive call on his future, but the under fire five-eighth‘s second axing in a month is emphatic evidence Walters is losing faith in the highest-paid player in Brisbane’s history.

It is understood Broncos bosses have already begun formulating a full-time roster for 2022 and Milford’s name has not been included in their squad projections, with Kotoni Staggs and Adam Reynolds to be Brisbane’s first-choice halves.

Milford will turn out for Souths Logan against the Capras on Sunday in the Intrust Super Cup and he needs to produce a devastating form burst to convince the Broncos to offer him a new deal.

During the meeting, Milford allegedly disputed that he was one of the chief underachievers in Brisbane’s 50-6 Magic Round loss to Manly. He agreed with Walters that his form was below par, but suggested it was difficult for playmakers to shine against a Manly side that hammered Brisbane’s forwards in midfield.

Walters confirmed the meeting and said he had put the ball in Milford’s court to prove he deserves a new contract.

Former Queensland coach Kevin Walters (left), now at the Broncos, was the mentor who gave Anthony Milford his maiden Maroons Origin jumper.

Former Queensland coach Kevin Walters (left), now at the Broncos, was the mentor who gave Anthony Milford his maiden Maroons Origin jumper.
“Milf and I have had a discussion and he is aware of what he needs to work on,” Walters said.

“It’s not the end. It’s up to Anthony, he makes that decision (on his future), not me.

“I keep saying Anthony has control of his career, not the Broncos or this football club.

“Right now is the time (for him to perform), when he went back last time to the Intrust Super Cup he performed well, so we expect him to do the same.

“There’s lot of parts in his game that need work and he will go back and work on that in the Intrust Super Cup.

“We have a clear picture on where we are going and how we are going about it.”

Milford’s management is seeking around $600,000 a season from prospective NRL suitors, but that price tag could convince the Titans to walk away from signing the former Queensland Origin super-sub.

The Titans are reluctant to pay more than $400,000 annually for Milford. Titans coach Justin Holbrook has some interest in Milford, but it is believed Gold Coast culture boss Mal Meninga is not interested in a bidding war for the 26-year-old.

Anthony Milford wants to remain a Bronco but Alex Glenn thinks change could be good for the embattled playmaker.

Anthony Milford wants to remain a Bronco but Alex Glenn thinks change could be good for the embattled playmaker.
Broncos skipper Alex Glenn said Milford was a victim of his much-hyped $1 million salary.

“The reality of it is if ‘Milf’ wasn’t on a million dollars, he wouldn’t be getting dropped. That’s the reality I feel,” he said.

“The pay packet definitely puts pressure on him, his name and his future in the game.

“That is something Milf is struggling with – blocking out that pressure. We shouldn’t put too much pressure on him because of his pay packet.

“In order for him to get back to playing his best footy, he needs to find the love of why he started playing again.”

Asked if a move to the Titans could represent a fresh start for Milford, Glenn said: “Change is never a bad thing, it challenges you to go out of your comfort zone,
“I’d love to see him stay at the Broncos, but if change is part of his future I don’t see it being a bad thing for him.

“Milf plays his best when he is free … he needs to find the love in footy again.”

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Good luck getting anything over 400k. Even then it's a huge risk on someone who has proven he isn't a FG half and who has failed at fullback aside from his first year or so at Canberra.

He should go to the ESL where he'd be Man Of Steel every year and get paid big money.

Last edited:

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
i'd give him the change i find in the couch cushions

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'd take interest as a club if he'd consider $250k-$300k to play a utility role from the bench

Last edited:

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Maybe 400k (risk) at a struggling club that somehow has a genuine/dominant halfback already. I don't think any team meets that criteria tho. The Broncos are getting one and they still don't want him.

2144superman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe 400k (risk) at a struggling club that somehow has a genuine/dominant halfback already. I don't think any team meets that criteria tho. The Broncos are getting one and they still don't want him.
I think he'll still serve great value off the bench as a utility. $250-$400k

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
If Melbourne lose Nicho Hynes, I'd like to see Bellamy pick him up to play 14 and see what he can get out of him.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The saddest part about this is having him in OUR side would still be a massive upgrade compared to what we have at 1,6,7 and 9. He would be worth the gamble at 300K

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He should play for the Broncos for free, seeing as got 1 million per year for doing fuck all for years.

Pity Fool

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
In my opinion, Milford is the smaller version of T-rex Tony Williams, very talented player but seems depressed or sad or something to the point that they lack the ability to mentally overcome what ever it is in their heads and let their natural ability shine on the field! It’s like they lack confidence or something? It’s a shame because they were both very naturally gifted players.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's hard to guess exactly why he hasn't performed. Whether it's laziness or just getting found out after initially taking the game by storm or the associated pressure that a big money contract brings. I think that getting a huge contract like he did will give you some assumption that your shit doesn't stink. Walters probably made exactly the right decision in dropping him for the reality check. It needed to be done a long while back though.

Even if he finds red hot form for the rest of the season and shows the talent that earned him a million dollar contract, most clubs will baulk at offering that again for the fear that he's only putting in the effort to secure his next contract. Even his $600k asking price is a gamble if he finds that form again. I think he's going to be sadly disappointed with his next deal. He'll need to put in two good seasons again to push his price tag up to even close to what it was.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In my opinion, Milford is the smaller version of T-rex Tony Williams, very talented player but seems depressed or sad or something to the point that they lack the ability to mentally overcome what ever it is in their heads and let their natural ability shine on the field! It’s like they lack confidence or something? It’s a shame because they were both very naturally gifted players.
I think with Williams it was a combination of self preservation instincts after copping some injuries coupled with a bit of laziness after he felt he'd made it big time. He ran like a wrecking ball when he burst onto the scene, but a knee injury and some associated time out of the game saw him lose that kamikaze style of running. Even when his salary dropped back he was never able to find it again.