News 'Minister' Tetevano to preach hard training at Bulldogs

djdeep4172

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Stephen Crichton has credited Canterbury recruit Zane Tetevano as the man who revolutionised Penrith's training practices in their super-charged 2020 campaign.

With the pair reunited at Belmore, new captain Crichton will task Tetevano with leading a similar makeover - and hope the Bulldogs can take inspiration from the Cook Islands international's off-field resilience.

The Bulldogs signed Tetevano to a one-year deal on Thursday, ending the prop's search for an NRL lifeline after three seasons with Leeds in the Super League.

The 33-year-old last played NRL for the Panthers in 2020, as the side began a period of premiership dominance by losing only one game en route to the grand final.

Then playing his first full season in the top grade, Crichton remembers premiership winner Tetevano as the most intense player around Penrith training in a year of astronomical growth.

"We called him 'The Minister'," Crichton told AAP.

"We'd do training sessions that were meant to be touch, and he'd start tackling.

"We're trying to practice plays and stuff, and he starts tackling the boys or starts bumping the boys off.

"He'd start telling the boys off, 'If you're going to (just) touch each other, you're only going to touch each other on the field'.

"He was probably the reason why we trained so hard that year."

Tetevano will add much-needed starch to a Bulldogs middle rotation that underperformed last season and has since lost Luke Thompson, Tevita Pangai Jr and Franklin Pele.

His ability to build a positive culture also shapes as important; the Bulldogs' methods were under scrutiny late last year when a young player was made to repeatedly wrestle teammates for being late to a training session.

Tetevano's life experience could add the most value of all, though.

While at Leeds last season, the Cook Islands international suffered a stroke at training and was taken to hospital, where he later underwent heart surgery.

Tetevano spoke about his bumpy road back to the NRL when he addressed the playing group earlier this week.

"The boys got a lot out of it," Crichton said.

"Especially the things that he's been through in his personal life - being told he wasn't allowed to play anymore.

"Just to turn that around and now being back in the NRL, the boys will get a lot out of him."

As the Bulldogs look to make a comeback of their own from seven years out of the finals, they will look to Tetevano as proof nothing is impossible.

"He said, 'Just don't let anyone tell you that you can't do anything'," Crichton said.

"When things get tough, there's always a light at the end of the tunnel."

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hmmm I was suspecting that he was not signed specifically for what he can do on the field. I was thinking that he was our Ciraldo when Gus recruited Ciraldo to play for Penrith. He was just looking for someone to set an example at training.

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The funny thing about most players is that they judge their teammates and opponents by how they play and train. For good or bad, it’s interesting.

Hmmm I was suspecting that he was not signed specifically for what he can do on the field. I was thinking that he was our Ciraldo when Gus recruited Ciraldo to play for Penrith. He was just looking for someone to set an example at training.
Oh yeah of course that’s why he was on our radar, Ciro would have coached him or at least been around when he was at Penrith! I didn’t even think about that lol.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It was just a joke, and with all due respect it was forwarded to crittamagic not yourself
You weren’t expecting someone else to call out that post? lmao. Well I was asking you a question, if it’s a joke I get it haha

Last edited:

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You weren’t expecting someone else to call out that post? lmao. Well I was asking you a question, if it’s a joke I get it haha
Call what out. Me and critta debated some time ago about the value, or non value of experienced forwards and there training etc. What’s the go with all ur lmao after every sentence.

Berries

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Call what out. Me and critta debated some time ago about the value, or non value of experienced forwards and there training etc. What’s the go with all ur lmao after every sentence.
nvm I get it’s a joke, all I meant was if it wasn’t people were going to question it thinking it was about DV. Not going at you mate

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Marly is one of the smartest posters on here and he can articulate a point better than most, that’s what upsets people. I don’t agree with a lot of his posts lately but I understand his frustration.
He never answers questions put to him, though.