Michael Lett - 2011 Discussion Thread

Will Michael Lett take the field this weekend?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hazem_elmasri

Top 5 in the world? What are you smoking? He's got speed yeah, that's about it. He's failed to crack FG at 5 different clubs, and each of them has had back problems to a certain extent. Surely that says something to you.
5 teams... No, try 4. Roosters, Eels, Dragons and Dogs. roosters - Premiers, no problems, Eels, was there for half a season, captain of premier league, Dragons, Premiers, and Dogs, No chance given.

Always is the MVP of any comp he plays in and the top tryscorer always. It'd be scary to see him promoted to FG and Win the Dally M next year along with NRL Top tryscorer.

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 teams... No, try 4. Roosters, Eels, Dragons and Dogs. roosters - Premiers, no problems, Eels, was there for half a season, captain of premier league, Dragons, Premiers, and Dogs, No chance given.

Always is the MVP of any comp he plays in and the top tryscorer always. It'd be scary to see him promoted to FG and Win the Dally M next year along with NRL Top tryscorer.
I agree. It would be scary to see him win the Dally M and NRL Top Tryscorer next year. Likewise it would be scary to see Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny go on a murderous killing spree.

Thankfully both these events have an almost equal chance of happening.

H

hazem_elmasri

Thankfully both these events have an almost equal chance of happening.
Obviously have not followed him this year in NSW Cup, and how many tries the kid has scored for us this year. No?????

Pom_81

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Obviously have not followed him this year in NSW Cup, and how many tries the kid has scored for us this year. No?????
There's no debate that he looks good against second tier opposition. He's proven that year after year at various clubs. He's also proven unreliable at First Grade level at each club.

I do think he was a fraction unlucky not to have beaten out Wright to the left wing spot, but he didn't exactly look superb when he did get his shot.

H

hazem_elmasri

I do think he was a fraction unlucky not to have beaten out Wright to the left wing spot, but he didn't exactly look superb when he did get his shot.
well, you and I both... Who knows what he could've been, He plays brilliant. He plays at times, terrible. I was just expecting some time he'd be given to show in First Grade the same kind of consistency he displays week in, week out for NSW Cup.. Oh Well

B4L

Kennel Established
Reaction score
*sigh*

NSW Cup will struggle next year. We've bought very few players and offloaded quite a few fringe first graders.

JTK, Lett, Rauicava, Nanai are all gone next year .. so we'll struggle to put 17 on the field for NSW Cup, let alone backups.

WTF is the club doing letting all these guys go and signing no replacements *shakes head*
Sean Deives and a few others will be comming up for u20's which really is a better option!

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
There's no debate that he looks good against second tier opposition. He's proven that year after year at various clubs. He's also proven unreliable at First Grade level at each club.

Wright was given far more chances than Lett was...

And Wright screwed up much more than Lett did and still retained his spot...Coaches do play favourites, especially with players that are only solid and not stars...

Wright wouldn't beat anyone else to the wing spot otherwise considering he's also a centre. Lett wasn't spectacular but he wasn't horrible and he was far better than Wright. I mean cmon Wright has feet for hands and can't catch to save his life

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
*sigh*

NSW Cup will struggle next year. We've bought very few players and offloaded quite a few fringe first graders.

JTK, Lett, Rauicava, Nanai are all gone next year .. so we'll struggle to put 17 on the field for NSW Cup, let alone backups.

WTF is the club doing letting all these guys go and signing no replacements *shakes head*
whats the point of winning NSW cup every year, when the first grade side cant even make the 8..

people complain that we buy too many players...maybe the club wants to bring in some young players into NSW cup and get them ready for first grade, rather than buy fringe first graders from other clubs

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I envy the team that picks him up.

Basically throw him in FG and say - you will be playing the next 5 games of FG, unless you have a complete meltdown.

Given some consistent time I think he will outperform a lot of FG wingers in other clubs.

You don't get selected for the junior kangaroos for being a dud.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
*sigh*

You do know we have a few really good under 20s players who will be moving up to the NRL Squad. They will fill the void in NSW Cup.

Dont you also know that next year the 2nd tier salary cap has been reduced.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
*sigh*

All i have to say is, who gives a fck. honestly?

We have won the NSW Cup the last 2 years and are gunning fr our 3rd. Do you know what that means to me? Fck all.

I dont care if our NSW Cup team never wins a game. First grade is all i care about.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I envy the team that picks him up.

Basically throw him in FG and say - you w
ill be playing the next 5 games of FG, unless you have a complete meltdown.

Given some consistent time I think he will outperform a lot of FG wingers in other clubs.

You don't get selected for the junior kangaroos for being a dud.
Ben Czislowski played Junior Roos in the same team as Anasta and Hodges.. You theory has holes in it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Wright was given far more chances than Lett was...

And Wright screwed up much more than Lett did and still retained his spot...Coaches do play favourites, especially with players that are only solid and not stars...

Wright wouldn't beat anyone else to the wing spot otherwise considering he's also a centre. Lett wasn't spectacular but he wasn't horrible and he was far better than Wright. I mean cmon Wright has feet for hands and can't catch to save his life
EXACTLY ..... Wright is a winger/centre, Lett is a winger/fullback.

Lets look at the depth we have in first grade for those positions.

Centre is covered somewhat. Barba gets injured and we are short on replacement winger/fullback.

Sean Deives and a few others will be comming up for u20's which really is a better option!
maybe the club wants to bring in some young players into NSW cup and get them ready for first grade, rather than buy fringe first graders from other clubs
You do know we have a few really good under 20s players who will be moving up to the NRL Squad. They will fill the void in NSW Cup.
I *really* must have been one of the few people who watched the Warriors vs Bulldogs Toyota Cup Semi Final. 64-0 Sixty Four to NIL. 64 to 0. A 64 point win!.

Ahhh yes, our record breaking Toyota Cup side.

Just incase I didn't make it obvious those records were (according to post game roundup):
The biggest loss by a Toyota Cup side in history.
The biggest winning margin by a Toyota Cup side in history.
The highest score against a Toyota Cup side in history.
The highest missed tackle count of any Rugby League Game (in the NRL).

That side will be like lambs vs lions in NSW Cup.

Sure we missed Sezer (gone next year anyway), and Lafai, but TC rely too much on Lafai to score.

Sean Deaves, he was bloody terrible along with Jackson, Klemmer, and pretty much every other player in the side.

I dont care if our NSW Cup team never wins a game. First grade is all i care about.
Where do you think our depth comes from? How many players debuted from Toyota Cup to NRL for Bulldogs this year?

NSW Cup is far more important than people realise, it's feeding NRL clubs.

Not to mention Vulcans, Tigers and Panthers and focussing on building stronger NSW Cup sides next year, so that says something in itself.

==================

On a final (and somewhat sidetracked note), if we get an injury to a backline member next year, our season is going pearshaped very quickly. Lafai will be a starter in first grade, with only Wright and Goodwin as potential backups (and Cutler at a push).

We barely have enough players to put a NSW Cup worthy side on field, let alone cover for injuries there too.

Oh and Bankstown Sports (Bundy Cup) don't even bother looking there, as that side is a train wreck.

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Our success in NSW cup is depressing and not something to be too happy about, most of those players are there cause they won't good enough for the top grade which shows why 15 out of the 18 named this week have played first grade and the team has nearly 800 games between them in the NRL.

And seriously, yeah we got smashed in the Toyota cup so that means that none of those players are good enough after ONE game, stupidest logic lol we needed a clean out the place and most of those players going are going because they aren't good enough, as simple as that. We need a breathe of fresh air in the place and young kids coming through will provide that.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where do you think our depth comes from? How many players debuted from Toyota Cup to NRL for Bulldogs this year?

Not to mention Vulcans, Tigers and Panthers and focussing on building stronger NSW Cup sides next year, so that says something in itself.
We have won it the last 2 years, and made it again this year. And where has that got us??????

You have even contradicted yourself by a post in another thread. You say that our successful NSW Cup side will feed our NRL squad, yet how many of those players are leaving after this year????

So after 3 years of dominance in the NSW Cup it has done absolutely nothing for our NRL squad.

I would rather our NSW Cup lose every game they ever played and our NRL making the top 4 >>>>> our current situation.

B4L

Kennel Established
Reaction score
EXACTLY ..... Wright is a winger/centre, Lett is a winger/fullback.

Lets look at the depth we have in first grade for those positions.

Centre is covered somewhat. Barba gets injured and we are short on replacement winger/fullback.

I *really* must have been one of the few people who watched the Warriors vs Bulldogs Toyota Cup Semi Final. 64-0 Sixty Four to NIL. 64 to 0. A 64 point win!.

Ahhh yes, our record breaking Toyota Cup side.

Just incase I didn't make it obvious those records were (according to post game roundup):
The biggest loss by a Toyota Cup side in history.
The biggest winning margin by a Toyota Cup side in history.
The highest score against a Toyota Cup side in history.
The highest missed tackle count of any Rugby League Game (in the NRL).

That side will be like lambs vs lions in NSW Cup.

Sure we missed Sezer (gone next year anyway), and Lafai, but TC rely too much on Lafai to score.

Sean Deaves, he was bloody terrible along with Jackson, Klemmer, and pretty much every other player in the side.

==================

On a final (and somewhat sidetracked note), if we get an injury to a backline member next year, our season is going pearshaped very quickly. Lafai will be a starter in first grade, with only Wright and Goodwin as potential backups (and Cutler at a push).

We barely have enough players to put a NSW Cup worthy side on field, let alone cover for injuries there too.

Oh and Bankstown Sports (Bundy Cup) don't even bother looking there, as that side is a train wreck.
Your basing this one one performance through the whole year!

Your saying the whole u20 team is going into nsw cup they aren't! They only ones that will be in NSW cup will be Devies (Might not) Jackson,Finucan(Sorry about spelling),Finn and Gill all the rest are not at a high enough slandered or are still allowed to play for u20's!

Karat

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mr Invisible

So you are saying there is no talent in toyota cup?

with someone that watches toyota cup carefully, you failed to mention the massive injury toll...

ByRd

DOGGIE ARMY
Reaction score
Jackson, Finucane, Abou-Sleiman will all be in the NSW cup side next year, these guys had a good year and will only get better by training with the top grade in the off season and stepping up a level.

BaYry Ward

Former Immortal
Reaction score
FMD the Warriors semi final was a SEMI FINAL. So going by the theory that those blokes are duds with no future, you need to throw all the teams that finished below us in the bin...

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
*huge sigh*

===========

I know a number of players (past and present) who have played in the NSW Cup competition for varying clubs.

According to what I have heard, the Bulldogs pay all their NSW Cup players salary/decently. This is NOT the case with all NSW Cup sides (some pay on games played). This is one major reason why every semi-decent player wants in to the Bulldogs NSW Cup side. It is also a major reason why there are big performance differences between clubs in NSW Cup. Would you play for peanuts?

I must say, that attitude displayed here by supposide Bulldogs fans is a little disappointing.

We have THREE Official Bulldogs teams (First Grade NRL, NSW Cup, Toyota Cup NRL), and one offshoot (Bankstown Sports - Bundy Cup). Since when did being a Bulldogs fan only mean supporting your first grade side, and dissing/dismissing the other grades?

When talking about Toyota Cup, we are talking about a side that:
+ HAD the second best defence in the comp.
+ HAD the seventh best attack in the comp.
+ Won 14 out of 24 games (58.3% of games played).
+ Has been inconsistent throughout the year.

In the last few weeks (since Lafai's injury) we'd been slipping and a hiding wasn't far away. Yes we had a few other injuries, but not THAT many. Jackson, Finucane, Burr, Gill, etc are still years off first grade, despite it meant to be a feeder from TC to FG.

We already know that Toyota Cup as a comp is a joke. The defence is minimal, and the scorelines show easily that the competition is just not, well, competitive. Yet it's a competition that is meant to be feeding NRL clubs with juniors.

If NSW cup that big a joke of a comp, explain how the Warriors, and Tigers had / have both NSW Cup and first grade sides in the finals series, how this year the comp has been largely more competitive, and why the NRL wants to see every Sydney NRL side aligned with a NSW Cup side for next year (2012). Not to mention that most players promoted to first grade this year, have come from NSW Cup sides, rather than straight from Toyota Cup.

What NSW Cup has done for our first grade side this year:
  • Allowed people to jizz over the idea of Jake Forster playing first grade and carving up.
  • Produced Reynolds, Wright, and Romelo into first grade. Without these players there is a high chance we'd not have come close to the finals in first grade.
  • Allowed players such as Browne, Millington, Kasiano and Taupau to develop into excellent prospects.

What T/C (the very comp the NRL expect clubs to draw players from) has done for first grade this year:
  • Allowed Lafai a teaser of playing centre.

It almost seems as if it's fine to support NSW Cup players IF they are in first grade, but the minute they go back to NSW Cup, why bother supporting them because they are in a sh1t team? Is that the general viewpoint?

If so, pretty damn disappointing.

I follow and support all our grades, but that performance the other day was an absolute joke.

Status
Not open for further replies.