Michael Lett - 2011 Discussion Thread

Will Michael Lett take the field this weekend?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No way. Goodwin is a great and experienced player just playing below his best, so he can get it back. Maybe he had been carrying an injury all year, who knows. Lett hasnt gotten close to reaching the heights of form Goodwin has in the past and can produce again. It isnt like Goodwin is 38, he isnt past it, therefore he can recapture form. Lett is inexperienced and shows it in a few ways with bad decisions in attack and a few clangers in defence. he has scored 2 tries in 2 matches, but he has also cost us a couple. All some ppl here see is 2 tries in 2 matches and that hes fast. They dont see anything else, and there is the problem.

Lett will be a better player in the future and maybe figure in our future plans, but he isnt at Goodwins standard if Goodwin plays at his best. Goodwin is also our next great goalkicker. Bryson El magic.
Got to disagree bud. Goodwin wouldnt have been able to make a no chance into a half chance. He also wouldnt have backed up keating and scored that try. If lett didnt score that try at that moment then we would have not had a chance of beating st george. He didnt do anything bad this week. He improved alot. Dragons targeted him and they only scored 1 try down his end of the field. It was a fluke too, should have been a no try. The bulldogs didnt make it any easier for him either, alot of high balls. He will improve. But he didnt make any silly errors. People on the kennel are all for juniors being introduced. And when they are your like get him straight out. Jeez, guys. Have patience in juniors. Foster and Kasiano didnt do bad. They just did not meet ur initial high expectations. Give it a break. I wonder why juniors are leaving our club. Coz their fans get upset when they dont seem as goood as everyone has said they are. Wake up! If we lose a few games because of juniors in the early rounds of the season, im all for it if it makes them more experienced. Better than at the end of the year and we have injuries and have to shove them into 1st grade then. At least now if we have injuries, the likes of Kasiano and Foster can slot into the team with some 1st grade experience. I'm all for it.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I thought your reply was saying the reason He got caught by coward when he made that run was he had pulled his hammy. If im wrong sorry.
my understanding is he pulled the hammy 'during' that run, but i'm not certain. i haven't read anywhere to confirm. but apparently, he came off after that run, so that would probably confirm it i guess

would have been interesting to see if he was able to pull away from the cat if his hammy didn't go on him right there

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Goodwin is a spastic.
Not too many wingers greater than Lett out there.
Perhaps Nightingale, Uate etc.
Lett is also an outstanding Centrer, being quick and strong. I would swap lett for morris.
Shame his injury is why we wont see him for a few weeks.
Not too many wingers greater than Lett out there?
Now thats just s stupid comment. Get off the meth.
You get this from 2 games played in FG for us?
He made more mistakes than good plays and tries. I put this down to inexperience.
You must be one of the "hes a legend coz he can run fast" groupies.

Slippery

¯\_( '~')_/¯
Reaction score
Goodwin is a spastic.
Not too many wingers greater than Lett out there.
Perhaps Nightingale, Uate etc.
Lett is also an outstanding Centrer, being quick and strong. I would swap lett for morris.
Shame his injury is why we wont see him for a few weeks.
:roflol:

P

Paint.

He made more mistakes than good plays and tries. I put this down to inexperience.
Last night:
0 errors
0 missed tackles
0 penalties
1 linebreak
1 try
130 metres

Last week:
1 missed tackle
1 error
1 try
100 metres

Just sayin'

Wearnze

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Last night:
0 errors
0 missed tackles
0 penalties
1 linebreak
1 try
130 metres

Last week:
1 missed tackle
1 error
1 try
100 metres

Just sayin'
Im with you D10, lot of bullshi* on the kennel. Guys bagging someone out when he didnt play that badly in the end. Just gunna take time to gel a bit better as a team. First 20 minutes is still our biggest problem. Im more worried with Josh Morris' form than Lett. Thought Morris would be backing up players a bit more than he did.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Im with you D10, lot of bullshi* on the kennel. Guys bagging someone out when he didnt play that badly in the end. Just gunna take time to gel a bit better as a team. First 20 minutes is still our biggest problem. Im more worried with Josh Morris' form than Lett. Thought Morris would be backing up players a bit more than he did.
D10 failing to mention that not all mistakes show up in the stats, and the 1 mistake he made vs broncos was a match turner they scored from.

Im not bagging Lett, im hoping he goes well and i like certain aspects of his game. Im more telling ppl to calm down, they are talking like hes the next barba and hes played 2 games with us and some good and very bad things in them. too early to call him better than a seasoned player like Goodwin. Some ppl just get excited coz someone can run fast, they dont see past that.

P

Paint.

D10 failing to mention that not all mistakes show up in the stats, and the 1 mistake he made vs broncos was a match turner they scored from.

Im not bagging Lett, im hoping he goes well and i like certain aspects of his game. Im more telling ppl to calm down, they are talking like hes the next barba and hes played 2 games with us and some good and very bad things in them. too early to call him better than a seasoned player like Goodwin. Some ppl just get excited coz someone can run fast, they dont see past that.
But what about Goodwin earlier this season? How many tries did he let in?

H

hazem_elmasri

excuse me, been following him since he debuted, back in '05 for the ROOSTER (then PREMIERS)
since then, had an injury which seen him out, goto EELS, then was quickly Poached in recent times by the DRAGONS (PREMIERS and arguably the best roster for the last 3 years)
Because of this guys luck, no so much as for his ability, he has now wound up to become a seasoned 'origin fill-in' for teams, when really his talent is nothing short of the better players out there in the comp.
I really hope that the Bulldogs, is where he can make himself a FIRST GRADE PLAYER, WEEK IN, WEEK OUT. It is in my opinion, and my opinion only that I truly do believe he is in the top 5 backline players in the comp. Believe me, Bulldogs have picked up a VERY HANDY utility in LETT!
I am happy to be proven wrong all at the same time.
Perhaps the kid who has set all the records as a junior in Jersey Flegg, SG BALL, Premier League, even last year in NSW CUP (leading tryscorer in a comp, playing in the worst team in the comp) has become over the hill, or perhaps he is waiting for his chance to become one of the form wingers in the NRL comp...
Time will tell... Time will tell...

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
But what about Goodwin earlier this season? How many tries did he let in?
Not sayin Goodwin has been in great form, but he is capable of it and could reproduce form Lett hasnt even reached yet.

Goodwin needs improvement, but mostly to recapture old form
Lett needs improvement, as he is inexperienced. Its too soon to start jizzing over a player just because he scores a few tries. he also makes mistakes that are critical ones. He needs more time in the oven, he isnt cooked yet. Ppl here talk like hes ready for SOO.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Fact is, Lett has had 2 games in FG, against two of the top teams hasn't he? He was also targetted by 2 of the best kickers (Locky & Soward).....we didn't get to see how Bryson would have gone did we.

He can do things in attack that Godowin couldn't do in his wet dreams....in fact his support play, IMO, is more condusive to the style of attack we seem to be adopting this year. Likewise, under a high ball, Goodwin is obviously better....but shiiyite people, Bry's made some howlers this year as well against weaker opposition, where he wasn't put under pressure....or do we conveniently forget that?
Given the chance of a stable position in a FG team over an extended period of time (like Bryson), and the confience one gets from knowing you're not going to make way for someone else next week....hence the pressure to come up with miracle plays, reckon he'd offer more to us as a team than Bry as a winger.
Bryson's kicking is only at 74% this year anyways, and FFS, Ennis kicks at or around that.

Regardless, don't know why the Broncos can unearth freakish talent, year after year on the wing, and we do it once every 10 years or so!!

Dogzkill4eva

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lett played well yesterday and was a good backup for the try.. hopefully its not a big injury and can be back for us next week..

the_crusader

I'm a big blob of LARD
Reaction score
His stupid play also killed off a great chance to score again

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Lett's a fine replacement for Goodwin when hes injured but im not thinking hes better than Goodwin for the team at this time is all im saying. Lett will get better from experience. He does have some skills, i dont deny it. Its a shame for him he got injured, brysbigtoe isnt ready yet, he had a game or 2 more to play before Goodwins back. And Goodwin needs to play a game or 2 in the reggies to get game fit before FG again. Plus us losing players to origin. Maybe he could have played for another month.

Assuming Goodwin gets some form back, when hes playing well hes the best option in his position. Maybe when he comes back he can just kick the hard goals, and turner can kick the rest within his range, to prevent brysbigtoe getting reinjured.

Last edited by a moderator:

MichaelM

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In relation to the Soward tackle I had a birds eye view - level 4, half way on the eastern side.

Soward had a slight angle, he got close and then Lett looked like he surged and his hamstring went.

Just before it went he clearly looked like he was drawing away from Soward.

Lett was the fastest player at the dragons and if the hamstring didn't go he would have been in under the posts.

Munnuz 1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
His stupid play also killed off a great chance to score again
You cant blame that completey on him. Should have been someone there backing him up to get to dummy half. He tried to play the ball quickly to keep momentum going. Turner could have made a better effort not to over run him when there was no chance for an offload and get back too

houndmeister

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fact is, Lett has had 2 games in FG, against two of the top teams hasn't he? He was also targetted by 2 of the best kickers (Locky & Soward).....we didn't get to see how Bryson would have gone did we.

He can do things in attack that Godowin couldn't do in his wet dreams....in fact his support play, IMO, is more condusive to the style of attack we seem to be adopting this year. Likewise, under a high ball, Goodwin is obviously better....but shiiyite people, Bry's made some howlers this year as well against weaker opposition, where he wasn't put under pressure....or do we conveniently forget that?
Given the chance of a stable position in a FG team over an extended period of time (like Bryson), and the confience one gets from knowing you're not going to make way for someone else next week....hence the pressure to come up with miracle plays, reckon he'd offer more to us as a team than Bry as a winger.
Bryson's kicking is only at 74% this year anyways, and FFS, Ennis kicks at or around that.

Regardless, don't know why the Broncos can unearth freakish talent, year after year on the wing, and we do it once every 10 years or so!!
Bryson is very safe under the high ball. I see to much of Brett Howland/Trent Cutler in Lett.

Doggiezbrah

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
This probably explains why he hasn't played first grade consistently throughout his career. I'm not doubting his ability to score tries but his defence deficiency, teams target him heavily with the high ball.
He seems scared to jump for the ball, he reminds me of a taller utai with speed. (Defence wise) I hope he overcomes his injury and makes into first grade and earns a new contract with us and kills it if goodwin is still injured. It was good seeing one our wingers with pace for once haha!

Status
Not open for further replies.