Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Bad

Votes: 9 81.8%

• Total voters

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on metaverse?

If you haven't heard about it - its pretty much a VR Environment the Zuck (Mark Zuckerberg) is creating where users can pretty much be social and connect in a VR World.

Good or bad for humanity?

Watch the video from Mr Zuck himself:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
He's also renaming Facebook to "Meta" to be in-line with it.

It's not a terrible idea, but it's terribly implemented. I watched a bit of the John Carmack interview with the live Meta-audience and it just looked stupid. It really doesn't work well.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Plus, VR Chat already does it better

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
He's also renaming Facebook to "Meta" to be in-line with it.

It's not a terrible idea, but it's terribly implemented. I watched a bit of the John Carmack interview with the live Meta-audience and it just looked stupid. It really doesn't work well.
The Facebook name change is like the google alphabet one though right?

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
I’ve already forgotten my password that I don’t even have yet so I probably won’t be using it.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The Facebook name change is like the google alphabet one though right?
Yeah, it's a change of the name of the holding company to avoid confusion and to be all encompassing.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How ironic that the biggest tech company which is renowned for exploiting peoples privacy renames itself metta which is a form of meditation that emphasises kindness and love etc.. I really wish someone would assassinate the robot that is Zuckerberg. We'll see how metta he feels then.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Musk will try and one up him and go all sword art online and kill a bunch of kids

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
How ironic that the biggest tech company which is renowned for exploiting peoples privacy renames itself metta which is a form of meditation that emphasises kindness and love etc.. I really wish someone would assassinate the robot that is Zuckerberg. We'll see how metta he feels then.
They used the name Meta because it's Greek for after or beyond. Like in Metamorphosis (after a caterpillar changes to a butterfly) or metaphysics (beyond normal physics)

In this essence he's trying to say that he's creating a new version of the internet which is an evolution, or beyond the standard internet.

It's quite pretentious.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I've watched about half of the keynote from Facebook live so far. It ranges between cringe and creepy. Especially when he describes Meta as "you can think and make it happen" (hinting at using his brain implant)

He admits that it's a long way off until it becomes mainstream, but he truly believes it will be the next evolution of the internet.

It's honestly not a bad concept. They're being smart about it. They're using VR and AR, because VR isn't widely accepted but AR is. 100's of millions of people used AR for Pokemon Go, and still use it for other things. So it gives a wider audience. You only need you phone and you have your experience.

They're also encouraging participation by setting up systems for developers and content creators to earn money from it (similar to Twitch), and Facebook is making a loss on most of VR headsets and services they're providing just so they can get more people involved.

But Zucker makes the key mistake in thinking he can make an unpopular thing a reality just by throwing money at it.

I use VR a fair bit myself and I love it for what it is, but it'll never be a social experience for anyone beyond the socially inept. Sure, it's fun and you can use it to help with long distance stuff, but most people are not going to opt for drinking in a VR pub when they can drink in a real pub. And virtual work places will never replace real life interactions and collaboration.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
They used the name Meta because it's Greek for after or beyond. Like in Metamorphosis (after a caterpillar changes to a butterfly) or metaphysics (beyond normal physics)

In this essence he's trying to say that he's creating a new version of the internet which is an evolution, or beyond the standard internet.

It's quite pretentious.
So pretentious.. Fuck I wish congress had some actual balls and hit him harder when they had the chance.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I've watched about half of the keynote from Facebook live so far. It ranges between cringe and creepy. Especially when he describes Meta as "you can think and make it happen" (hinting at using his brain implant)

He admits that it's a long way off until it becomes mainstream, but he truly believes it will be the next evolution of the internet.

It's honestly not a bad concept. They're being smart about it. They're using VR and AR, because VR isn't widely accepted but AR is. 100's of millions of people used AR for Pokemon Go, and still use it for other things. So it gives a wider audience. You only need you phone and you have your experience.

They're also encouraging participation by setting up systems for developers and content creators to earn money from it (similar to Twitch), and Facebook is making a loss on most of VR headsets and services they're providing just so they can get more people involved.

But Zucker makes the key mistake in thinking he can make an unpopular thing a reality just by throwing money at it.

I use VR a fair bit myself and I love it for what it is, but it'll never be a social experience for anyone beyond the socially inept. Sure, it's fun and you can use it to help with long distance stuff, but most people are not going to opt for drinking in a VR pub when they can drink in a real pub. And virtual work places will never replace real life interactions and collaboration.
Did you see the sauce bottle on his book case? LOL

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The funniest part about all this was watching him try to be human during the keynote. Most of his stuff was, "oh, I love doing this with my friends". There's even a part early on where he meets his friends in the virtual environment and one is pretending to be a robot. And he cracks the joke, "aren't I meant to be the robot?"

And all his friends laugh, while the rest of the world cringes.

One funny part though was when they were covering some of the VR stuff and the chick he's talking to keeps mentioning games. He keeps saying, "oh, I love playing these with my friends". Then she mentions a VR game and he starts talikg about it, and she just cuts him off and it's extremely awkward. She's probably already been fired. But maybe they did that just to show that it's actually live and not pre-recorded.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gotta say though, there was one good thing from the presentation.

GTA San Andreas in VR.

I've played a bit of Resident Evil 4 in VR and it works really well. San Andreas should be great in VR.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Gotta say though, there was one good thing from the presentation.

GTA San Andreas in VR.

I've played a bit of Resident Evil 4 in VR and it works really well. San Andreas should be great in VR.
Rockstar must be rubbing their hands together at the thought of releasing a VR version of the same game rather than releasing a new one. This shit will be out and we still won't have GTA 6 :tearsofjoy:

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I'm all for technology to make life easier or improve the way of life. It's how humanity evolves, without technology we would still be Apes.