Merry Christmas to Everyone on TK.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
I already have a decent sized solar system and if the blackouts (and brown outs) get any worse then I’ll be buying a home battery. In addition it seems like soon we will have electricity usage limits forced on us if something isn’t done about replacing coal fired power stations with something that generates when the sun isn’t shining and the wind isn’t blowing.
I’ve had solar for 5 and a battery for 4 years.
Batteries help for general usage overnight etc but if you fire up the a/c or other energy thirsty devices like pool pumps after dark it will be gone in about an hour. My solar system has just about paid for itself so the rest will become gravy but it’s not a panacea either.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I’ve had solar for 5 and a battery for 4 years.
Batteries help for general usage overnight etc but if you fire up the a/c or other energy thirsty devices like pool pumps after dark it will be gone in about an hour. My solar system has just about paid for itself so the rest will become gravy but it’s not a panacea either.
What size battery if u don't mind me asking? Its in the 2 do list for next year.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
What size battery if u don't mind me asking? Its in the 2 do list for next year.
9.8kWh. It’s an LG RESU10.
They’re ~30% cheaper now vs when I bought it so you’d pay it off even quicker now with stored energy.
Lasts all night in summer if you don’t flog it with a/c etc and usually fills up on a sunny day before noon ready to go again. Here ‘tis behind some shrubs:
IMG_7794.jpeg

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
They’re ~30% cheaper now vs when I bought it so you’d pay it off even quicker now with stored energy.
Lasts all night in summer if you don’t flog it with a/c etc and usually fills up on a sunny day before noon ready to go again. Here ‘tis behind some shrubs:
View attachment 99362
Thanks mate - guessing you didn't get caught up in the recall?

I'm thinking a bit larger (12-14Kw) and was thinking German. Rather have too much than not enough. Heard too much waffle about tesla customer service and was keen on LG then the recall came out.

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks mate - guessing you didn't get caught up in the recall?

I'm thinking a bit larger (12-14Kw) and was thinking German. Rather have too much than not enough. Heard too much waffle about tesla customer service and was keen on LG then the recall came out.
I was smack bang in between the two affected batches of the recall so got lucky but they’ve remotely updated the software since anyway - that happens periodically.

Yeah larger storage handy but make sure your kit (panels/inverter) can produce the energy too - little point in having storage you can’t fill. Also when I got mine 10+ storage was very pricey - it’s come down a fair bit since so if I bought today it would be different.

Agree don’t bother with Tesla - all hype, little substance. The Krauts make some good kit.

Doogie

Kennel Lizard Lord
Reaction score
I was smack bang in between the two affected batches of the recall so got lucky but they’ve remotely updated the software since anyway - that happens periodically.

Yeah larger storage handy but make sure your kit (panels/inverter) can produce the energy too - little point in having storage you can’t fill. Also when I got mine 10+ storage was very pricey - it’s come down a fair bit since so if I bought today it would be different.

Agree don’t bother with Tesla - all hype, little substance. The Krauts make some good kit.
Thanks for the tip. Need something like 60-70 sqm of real estate to keep that size battery full. And I believe these days the batteries are modular so you just keep stacking till you get your number and then get the right inverter for it.

Germans are smart like that - still cannot understand how they lost the war. :tearsofjoy:

DinkumDog

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Need something like 60-70 sqm of real estate to keep that size battery full. And I believe these days the batteries are modular so you just keep stacking till you get your number and then get the right inverter for it.

Germans are smart like that - still cannot understand how they lost the war. :tearsofjoy:
Ha re: war - don’t mention it :-).

It’s not just real estate but the ratings of the panels. A bit like TV’s you get crap, average and quality panel bakes. Likewise the type of inverter you get can affect the generation (not just power rating). Modular batteries have benefits definitely in terms of allowing you to scale up as you need to add storage but again, price vs benefit. I spent months doing research before I pulled the trigger and I spent on the higher end for the better kit at the time which overall (like most things) has been worth it (stuff is cheap for a reason). That said, tech improves all the time so if I did it again today chances are the outcome would be different.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
After 2.5 years with 10kWh of panels and an 8kWh inverter (Endeavour Energy limit) I have plenty of data to base the battery sizing on. A 12.5kWh battery with 4kWh maximum will suite our requirements, absolutely no problem in winter and just about the right size in summer. We have 3 x split air con systems, so it’s easy to limit the usage to the occupied areas only.

It wasn’t financially justifiable to install a battery but with the recent and never ending price rises it’s getting close to a 7 year pay back. With a 10 year battery warranty it’s almost a no brainer, one more electricity price rise and I’m pulling the trigger.

Always a Bulldog

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I guess you missed the point of it.
It’s for picking up GIRLS so we can tell chicks we is doctors
We got the coats from one of the crews brothers and took photos.
So now we got the photos for tinder and LinkedIn and we can smash and advise girls to get wasted with us
One guy is saying he is a gynocologist for devil reasons
You want to tell girls you “is doctor”……what kind of backward English is this.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You around Helensvale etc area

It looks like a bomb hit it.
We’re GC hinterland … it’s still not back on today …

Thankfully it’s not as hot today as we had a big rain pour this morning but it feels like it has the potential to heat back up again late arvo ..

Fingers crossed it comes back on today ..

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We’re GC hinterland … it’s still not back on today …

Thankfully it’s not as hot today as we had a big rain pour this morning but it feels like it has the potential to heat back up again late arvo ..

Fingers crossed it comes back on today ..
I thought the down pour would have lasted awhile, but it was only a few minutes.

Been seeing on the news all the damage in the hinterland etc.

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You want to tell girls you “is doctor”……what kind of backward English is this.
Spelling, grammar, and pronunciation problems don’t bother me .. it’s just a forum, I’m not that good at it myself most times ..

But I’ve seen @Nasheed chip other people about it, and that’s where he should be embarrassed as he’s one of the worst ..

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey .. finally got the power back on .. been 5 days … it’s amazing how much you miss it ..
We take it for granted.

When it's not working, it's like the world is ending.

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I already have a decent sized solar system and if the blackouts (and brown outs) get any worse then I’ll be buying a home battery. In addition it seems like soon we will have electricity usage limits forced on us if something isn’t done about replacing coal fired power stations with something that generates when the sun isn’t shining and the wind isn’t blowing.

Always a Bulldog.
Whats a decent size battery battery worth and how many days av use would that give you, do you know,

Trinfly

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
View attachment 99362
Was your LG one of those recalled,