Members and fans left in lurch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Umm Abbey has no defence yet people say he is better than Perrett...

LOL ... Just... LOL.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I will always support and love the club but it's getting harder to do. I hope there is some good news coming about some signings even if they are just prospects but I'm not holding my breath. The only thing in the last few weeks in the rumour thread is Hoppa and Chad Redman which is pretty depressing.

In regards to marketing and fan engagement I think there are at least 3-4 people in senior positions but we don't hear anything about anything. Even last year I don't think Lichaa was announced officially. Is that where our membership money goes, to employ people that tell us nothing.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I still love and support my club, but my wife and I have not renewed our membership for 2016, and don't intend to. 4 other families that we usually go to games with are not renewing either. The main reason, amongst others is that we have lost our playing DNA under Des Hasler. Apart from 2012, we play a really ugly and boring style of football. Recruitment and retention is a basket case also.

As much as I respect Raelene Castle, and her ability as an administrator , I don't think she is the right fit for our club. In some ways, I think her recruitment to the top job, was always about cleaning up our club's image and appeasing the media, and critics.

Giving Des Hasler free reigns to the footy department has not been a very bright idea. It is common knowledge that a few members of our board are getting a little uneasy about the situation, and nothing is really being done about it.

As much as it pains me to say it, Nick Politis is similar to Bullfrog, in the way that he hires, fires, makes things happen, does not tolerate mediocrity, and knows how to make a footy club successful. That's the type of character that the club has been lacking for some time.
Great post. The culture of the club has evaporated and no one on the board nor the CEO seem to mind that the club is regressing, not progressing. A premiership, developing juniors and signing talent from other clubs just don't seem anywhere near as important to those in power than money does.

Politis, as much as we all hate his club and how much they rort the cap, at least they're successful and will stop at nothing to achieve success. Once upon a time we had a club like that. Now our club willingly gets walked all over by the NRL and is so obsessed with being politically correct, making a profit and trying to appeal to the general public that it's lost it's identity and killer instinct.

I'd rather we went back to being hated and successful than being so mediocre that everyone else doesn't even worry about this club as a legitimate threat anymore.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

LOL ... Just... LOL.
Perrett has the worst defence of any winger since Eric Grothe Jnr. Abbey couldn't do worse. But Des rewarded Perrett, who should be playing ESL or park footy, with a new contract so Abbey or anyone else can rot in reserves while a player not up to standard is an automatic selection each week regardless of the two tries he lets in each week out of nothing.

The Dominator

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Right now i think we have the right to be pissed. We have lost 7 of the top 27 from 2015, including 2 top line players in Pritchard and Hodkinson and a very promising young player in Damien Cook. We have also lost a couple of solid depth players in Thompson, Loko, Mcinally and Kaufusi.

On top of this the signings of all 3 Mata'utia brothers fell through.

In response to this we have not signed a single player who is ready for 1st grade. One of the only clubs in this position for 2016.

This would all make sense if we had some superb juniors coming through but i don't think we have a single top notch player in our lower grades and our 20's this year were more or less rubbish.

Things look real bad.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree with it all. Glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the same. If we don't sign anyone for wing spot I'd much prefer to give a young talent like abbey a head start on the wing. The kids got skill and can kick goals. Can be our Valentine Holmes type of player. All you guys saying you he's not ready I'd be prepared to give him a shot. RTS was young when he started, an off season of defensive work and strength training will prep him.
Back to the club being quiet as church mouses, why the hell cant this all new membership committee have a crack and voice everyone's concerns. Seems all they talk about is member packs, I'd prefer they discuss this!

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Perrett has the worst defence of any winger since Eric Grothe Jnr. Abbey couldn't do worse. But Des rewarded Perrett, who should be playing ESL or park footy, with a new contract so Abbey or anyone else can rot in reserves while a player not up to standard is an automatic selection each week regardless of the two tries he lets in each week out of nothing.
Sadly, he is.

2015 stats

ABBEY
Played: 22
Missed Tackles: 57 missed tackles out of 179 tackles.
Avr Missed Tackles: 2.2 missed a game.
Best MT count per game = 0 (3 times)
Worst MT count per game = 5 (twice)
Errors: 33 (1.3 per game)

PERRETT
Played: 26
Missed Tackles: 30 missed tackles out of 167 tackles.
Avr Missed Tackles: 1.2 missed a game.
Best MT count per game = 0 (9 times)
Worst MT count per game = 5 (once)
Errors: 22 (0.8 per game)

Perrett's stats are all over Abbey's. I really don't see what the wank factor is over him. At present he isn't even Patrick Templeman / Brent Crisp standard.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sadly, he is.

2015 stats

ABBEY
Played: 22
Missed Tackles: 57 missed tackles out of 179 tackles.
Avr Missed Tackles: 2.2 missed a game.
Best MT count per game = 0 (3 times)
Worst MT count per game = 5 (twice)
Errors: 33 (1.3 per game)

PERRETT
Played: 26
Missed Tackles: 30 missed tackles out of 167 tackles.
Avr Missed Tackles: 1.2 missed a game.
Best MT count per game = 0 (9 times)
Worst MT count per game = 5 (once)
Errors: 22 (0.8 per game)

Perrett's stats are all over Abbey's. I really don't see what the wank factor is over him. At present he isn't even Patrick Templeman / Brent Crisp standard.
good work!

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

LOL ... Just... LOL.
C'mon mr i
dont disagree with me now
are we going to blood this kid and plan for the future or continue to hold onto dinosaurs and go nowhere
i couldn't give a fcuk if a kid is in there having a go and making mistakes coz at least he's learning however when u have "seasoned" fgders and nzld international stuffing up round after round then what's the point.

perret is rubbish, we won't win the competition in 2016 so why hold abbey and Chisholm back at all
let them get that season of fg footy under their belt

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still love and support my club, but my wife and I have not renewed our membership for 2016, and don't intend to. 4 other families that we usually go to games with are not renewing either. The main reason, amongst others is that we have lost our playing DNA under Des Hasler. Apart from 2012, we play a really ugly and boring style of football. Recruitment and retention is a basket case also.

As much as I respect Raelene Castle, and her ability as an administrator , I don't think she is the right fit for our club. In some ways, I think her recruitment to the top job, was always about cleaning up our club's image and appeasing the media, and critics.

Giving Des Hasler free reigns to the footy department has not been a very bright idea. It is common knowledge that a few members of our board are getting a little uneasy about the situation, and nothing is really being done about it.

As much as it pains me to say it, Nick Politis is similar to Bullfrog, in the way that he hires, fires, makes things happen, does not tolerate mediocrity, and knows how to make a footy club successful. That's the type of character that the club has been lacking for some time.

U are a zillion percent correct
i wish u were the ceo
someone with a brain and common sense
wish I could give u 100 thumbs up

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You can't match Abbeys under 20's stats with Perrets. We all know what defence in under 20's is like. Kids with talent step up in FG. Why not show how many try's they both scored this year, how many they set up. Or a total of points scored. Abbey kicks goals, which we need now. On top I'm sure Abbey is a fair bit faster and doesn't do a shitty goose step zig zag every time he runs.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Whilst I'm probably not a huge fan of some of the recruitment decisions (but you can never win 'em all), I must be the only one who doesn't have any major issue with the administration and the communication with fans.... we get FB posts, emails, SMSes about things. TBH, I don't need to be told every last little thing. If T-Rex farts at training I don't need a personal letter from Raelene.

It is 2015, and whilst a premiership is sorely missed, we have one of the best administrations in the game - do we want to have the problems of Newcastle, Canberra, Manly, Parra etc? Professionalism and making money is a top priority, for better or for worse. It just is. When other clubs are staring down the barrel of merging, dying, relocating... ours will be still standing.

I get it - off season is the season to vent, but I dunno, maybe some balance/perspective/reduced hyperbole wouldn't go astray either. Come on guys, lighten up a little :grinning:

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think some of Perret's mistakes this year have consisted of players inside coming up and in. This leaves him with no choice but to go in.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Like letting the ball continually bounce, dropping them or letting opposition players ground the ball In goal for a try. Yep they are "all" lafais fault lol

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
You can't match Abbeys under 20's stats with Perrets. We all know what defence in under 20's is like. Kids with talent step up in FG. Why not show how many try's they both scored this year, how many they set up. Or a total of points scored. Abbey kicks goals, which we need now. On top I'm sure Abbey is a fair bit faster and doesn't do a shitty goose step zig zag every time he runs.
True, but you can't match Abbeys 20s performances with being a superstar in first grade.

C'mon mr i
dont disagree with me now
are we going to blood this kid and plan for the future or continue to hold onto dinosaurs and go nowhere
i couldn't give a fcuk if a kid is in there having a go and making mistakes coz at least he's learning however when u have "seasoned" fgders and nzld international stuffing up round after round then what's the point.

perret is rubbish, we won't win the competition in 2016 so why hold abbey and Chisholm back at all
let them get that season of fg footy under their belt
Abbey *might* feature in the Nines team alongside Chisholm.

But his goalline defence is terrible (Abbey's). When a player approachs him after breaking a line, MOST fullbacks will attempt to tackle the player. NOT ABBEY!! He'll attempt to run and bump into them, as if he's allergic to tackling a player. Happened all too many times this season.

Heck this seasons claim to fame for him, was letting Tommy Turbo run in like 4 tries in one game, by literally running straight past him.

If people are pissed off with Perret/Lafai's defence, or TRex's lack of effort, Abbey makes them look like Daly M players.

I'll say it again for old times sake.. Abbey is a good 2-3 years off potentially seeing first grade. First he has to sort his defence out in NYC. Then he has to excel in NSW Cup, and only then might he be ready to debut in first grade.

Warriors were ok releasing / not re-signing him and didn't fight hard to keep him in their roster.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I think we all want to see a bright light for 2016 because there's not much good news with signings. But players that can go from under 20's to first grade are very few. Trbojevic is a special player and he did it but I don't think Abbey is at that level. Rushing players can sometimes destroy their confidence so I don't see him playing FG next year. He needs to play in NSW cup against older players, get his defence right then in 2017 if he's good enough he will play on the wing I'd say.

LSD

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Yeah exactly cause "some" means "all" :-p

OTTO

Playing Pablo
Reaction score
If the young bloke gets a go & is a revolving door, Which Kenneler is making the "Abbey Road" Banner ?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.