Melbourne Storm new logo

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know most won't care, but it's the off season and I'm a design nerd so I'm interested in hearing thoughts on the Storms new logo.. The old logo was tacky and reminded me of something you'd see at Paddies Markets.. bit of a mess, especially that awful cloud and the colour distribution. I don't mind the new design personally, it's clean and better reflects the modern game/ better suits the new NRL marks..glad they did away with the cloud, however I'm not overly keen on the typography, and the characters left hand looks a little forced :grimacing: still an upgrade though

m_storm.png m_storm2.png m_storm3.jpg

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2018/10/17/storm-launch-into-a-new-era/

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
I know most won't care, but it's the off season and I'm a design nerd so I'm interested in hearing thoughts on the Storms new logo.. The old logo was tacky and reminded me of something you'd see at Paddies Markets.. bit of a mess, especially that awful cloud and the colour distribution. I don't mind the new design personally, it's clean and better reflects the modern game/ better suits the new NRL marks..glad they did away with the cloud, however I'm not overly keen on the typography, and the characters left hand looks a little forced :grimacing:

View attachment 8367 View attachment 8368 View attachment 8369

Looks pretty much like the old one, except the cloud bit at the bottom is no longer there?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty much like the old one, except the cloud bit at the bottom is no longer there?

they've cleaned up the character a lot and the colour/ new typography.. when you compare them you can spot all the differences

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think it's alright. Didn't really need a change in my opinion.

I fear the new idea of modernising logos everywhere at the moment is to make it look either plain or like a smartphone app icon.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I know most won't care, but it's the off season and I'm a design nerd so I'm interested in hearing thoughts on the Storms new logo.. The old logo was tacky and reminded me of something you'd see at Paddies Markets.. bit of a mess, especially that awful cloud and the colour distribution. I don't mind the new design personally, it's clean and better reflects the modern game/ better suits the new NRL marks..glad they did away with the cloud, however I'm not overly keen on the typography, and the characters left hand looks a little forced :grimacing: still an upgrade though

View attachment 8367 View attachment 8368 View attachment 8369

I'm do freelance multimedia/graphic design work on the side and I tend to agree with you. The one on the right is superior. The other 2 are far too Americanised for my liking. You see most American sports logo employ a 2D picture of some sort of mascot (generally an animal) and it only has 2-3 colours and is as boring and bland AF. That's why I was so freaking happy ~10 years ago when we moved from the crappy Americanised Bulldogs logo to the one we have now of a shield. I'd much rather our old emblem from traditional-sake but I like the shield one too.

This logo below is Americanised and a deadset eye sore that made us lose our identity.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I prefer this Melbourne Storm logo

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm do freelance multimedia/graphic design work on the side and I tend to agree with you. The one on the right is superior. The other 2 are far too Americanised for my liking. You see most American sports logo employ a 2D picture of some sort of mascot (generally an animal) and it only has 2-3 colours and is as boring and bland AF. That's why I was so freaking happy ~10 years ago when we moved from the crappy Americanised Bulldogs logo to the one we have now of a shield. I'd much rather our old emblem from traditional-sake but I like the shield one too.

This logo below is Americanised and a deadset eye sore that made us lose our identity.

hahaha I thought of that Bulldogs logo as soon as I saw this article, hated it, it definitely didn't reflect our club. I am more about the traditional badge logos when it comes to sport.. but Storm being a newer club, and the fact that their previous logo was rubbish, something had to give.... and since everything is super minimalist these days, the result was never going to be much different to how it ended up

Last edited:

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Remember when the bulldogs became the sydney bulldogs? And the shithouse logo that came with it?!!!
Sometimes simplifying the logo works, but in this case it was horribly wrong. I love the new logo though.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Remember when the bulldogs became the sydney bulldogs? And the shithouse logo that came with it?!!!
Sometimes simplifying the logo works, but in this case it was horribly wrong. I love the new logo though.

that was awful.... wasn't there a couple of other clubs who did the same? obviously Sydney Roosters.. but I am sure another club did it but maybe I'm trippin

Tell ya's who needs a new logo, and identity... the Titans.... everything about their current identity is awful

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
that was awful.... wasn't there a couple of other clubs who did the same? obviously Sydney Roosters.. but I am sure another club did it but maybe I'm trippin

Tell ya's who needs a new logo, and identity... the Titans.... everything about their current identity is awful
Maybe tthe sharks? But ours was the worst!!!

Wahesh

Reaction score

Wasn't it the same logo just replacing Canterbury-Bankstown with Sydney?

Anyway... the other team who did it was the Tigers!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Wasn't it the same logo just replacing Canterbury-Bankstown with Sydney?

Anyway... the other team who did it was the Tigers!

I think the sharks and tigers did. But the tigers also amalgamated, so they needed to change.
Ours went from the old bulldogs from the 80s, to this stupid as fuck looking bulldog head with the stupid V shaped kind of thing under it. We also lost the canterbury bankstown bit.

Wahesh

Reaction score
I think the sharks and tigers did. But the tigers also amalgamated, so they needed to change.
Ours went from the old bulldogs from the 80s, to this stupid as fuck looking bulldog head with the stupid V shaped kind of thing under it. We also lost the canterbury bankstown bit.
Hold on... Sharks amalgamated with who?

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Sydney Tigers was 95 and 96. I think they were on their wear down the tubes. the NRL v Super League war probably saved them, as both organisations tried to ensure they actually had clubs to compete in their respective comps.
Sydney Bulldogs was 95 and 96 also - I think the Club has some delusions of grandeur at the time, as if they are trying to establish a global brand.

i can't remember the Sharks doing the same? But then again, my memory is fading...

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sydney Tigers was 95 and 96. I think they were on their wear down the tubes. the NRL v Super League war probably saved them, as both organisations tried to ensure they actually had clubs to compete in their respective comps.
Sydney Bulldogs was 95 and 96 also - I think the Club has some delusions of grandeur at the time, as if they are trying to establish a global brand.

i can't remember the Sharks doing the same? But then again, my memory is fading...
Lots if teams change logos. Thats all i was pointing out. Sharks logo used to be like our old one.