Mbye wants Reynolds’ No.6 shirt — but how long will he wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The thing that Mbye offers over Reynolds is stability. Reynolds can win you a game or lose you a game and his brain snaps can cost the team. When Reynolds is on he's a better player but Mbye is a more solid & dependable player.

I think our problem right now is the halfback. Trent is solid but he's lacking some of the key skills a halfback needs. Reynolds and Mbye aren't halfbacks either. They're both good attacking players but they can't control the game and direct the play.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
moses mbye is not the answer to the dogs problems, he offers no more they the other 2 do, everyone keeps saying hes so much better, but did he do anything when we played the dragons, we were dont on the try line set after set after set with nothing.....no result
when he still kicks its not to open ground, its direct to opposition players

id let all 3 go we need halves we need better then what we have
How do you expect Moses to do anything when he was bloody being rotated??

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
The thing that Mbye offers over Reynolds is stability. Reynolds can win you a game or lose you a game and his brain snaps can cost the team. When Reynolds is on he's a better player but Mbye is a more solid & dependable player.

I think our problem right now is the halfback. Trent is solid but he's lacking some of the key skills a halfback needs. Reynolds and Mbye aren't halfbacks either. They're both good attacking players but they can't control the game and direct the play.
I am sure Moses could play as half back?

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have been frustrated as much as everyone with the way the halves especially Hokko has been playing. If we had a top tier halfback I believe we would win the premiership. I think the guys are improving and we didn't do them any favours with all the injuries and suspensions. I think Trent knows he is under pressure to perform so the ball is in hands to show if he can be a top tier halfback or he will end up elsewhere.
Reynolds is another issue altogether. He is like my fox terrier a heart of lion but sometimes with brains of a dodo bird. He needs to stay focused and not let emotion affect his game play or he will not we around long term either. Enthusiasm is popular but it needs to be mixed with intelligence. He has shown glimpses of good play but needs to do it more regular. Hence our problem one half looks to be playing on 1 leg and the other sometimes looks like you need to smack him on the head with a 3by2 to get his attention.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I am sure Moses could play as half back?
I know he spent a little time there in the junior grades but it's a big switch for the Dogs. Some clubs now play with two 5/8s but the Dogs still expect the Halfback to direct the play. Would need to see him spend a good amount of time there to know for sure.

The other thing about shifting Mbye to halfback is that you lose his best talent. He seems strongest attacking the edge near the line which makes him such a strong 5/8.

Kayser

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It's not Reynolds vs Mbye, its Hodko vs Mbye.

Hodkos in the crosshairs at the moment and if he doesn't start to perform / hit form soon, I'd say its goodbye to him.

I like the bloke, but he's just badly out of form, with suspect knees, and with time they will only get worse.

I see it like this. There are quuite a few sides needing a #7 at the moment. If Hodko was truly that good, Manly and Titans (and others) would be chasing him, and he'd already have fielded offers. At the moment it sounds like he is hanging onto hope that the Bulldogs re-sign him. In the meantime you have Mbye who has served his apprenticeship and deserves a starting spot somewhere.

Sign Hodko and lose Mbye
Lose Hodko and sign Mbye.

Not a good call to have to make by someone, but purely from a business and future premiership perspective, Mbye and Reynolds remain our best bet at present.
I would happily surrender my right nut for this to happen. But Hodko will stay and Moses will more on.

FreshSoulL

Faith
Reaction score
Arent Reynolds and Trent best friends anyways??? Would Trent leaving impact our team>?!

ek999

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We have to make a choice between Hokko and Mbye. Whether they wear 6 or 7 is irrelevant these days, it is all about the side of the field they play on/ Reynolds is our only right side half so we need to keep him (and he is under contract for another 2 years anyway). Hokko and Mbye both play on the left. If it was me I would probably let Hokko go, Mbye looks to have higher potential and Hokko has some massive knee problems

korrmatta1

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We have to make a choice between Hokko and Mbye. Whether they wear 6 or 7 is irrelevant these days, it is all about the side of the field they play on/ Reynolds is our only right side half so we need to keep him (and he is under contract for another 2 years anyway). Hokko and Mbye both play on the left. If it was me I would probably let Hokko go, Mbye looks to have higher potential and Hokko has some massive knee problems
Totally agree

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Arent Reynolds and Trent best friends anyways??? Would Trent leaving impact our team>?!
They can both leave then if that is an issue.

jamesb

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
The way I see it, we already know what Reynolds and Hodkinson can do, if either of them leave I think there is a very small risk that their talent will explode and they will become the type of players JT, Joey, Cronk etc are...
Mbye with only 15 games into FG and limited time in his preferred position could become anything, we don't know yet. He looks very good in the halves and in my opinion better than our current halves with higher potential to be even better.
There is no way we should risk him leaving the club over the halves we have and know

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think Hodko was underperforming so that he didn't get picked for origin. Theres nothing wrong with his knees didnt he get a bionic knee in the off season ?

plus he can kick conversions without a problem.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I think Hodko was underperforming so that he didn't get picked for origin. Theres nothing wrong with his knees didnt he get a bionic knee in the off season ?

plus he can kick conversions without a problem.
Lol what?

billybob

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
J.T was a half back and they switched him to 5/8 because of origin...its essentially the same shit just opposite end..
The fact that JT could excel at both positions at the highest level, is a testament to just how good he really is not because the roles are interchangeable. Could you picture cooper cronk playing 5/8th? I couldn't. Hasler clearly doesn't see mbye as a half back so for better or worse the argument doesn't matter.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lol what?
made me lol at your lol.. Hodko had some kind of NASA developed technological surgery that would make his knee robotic .. unless it was a dream .. I'll look it up ...

Reaction score
made me lol at your lol.. Hodko had some kind of NASA developed technological surgery that would make his knee robotic .. unless it was a dream .. I'll look it up ...
are you talking about the treadmill that nasa designed to aid their astronauts dealing with gravity effects from being in space?

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In the 1980s, scientists at NASA became keenly interested in stem cell therapy as a potential off-set for bone loss resulting from prolonged weightlessness in space. However, as stem cell experiments proceeded onboard the Space Shuttle, a most curious anomaly was observed. Under the direction of Dr. David Wolf, NASA Chief Astronaut, the stem cells were observed to grow more dramatically when the shuttle was over the earth's polar regions rather than over equatorial regions. Further analysis of the culture media showed that a number of natural tissue growth factors such as endothelial growth factor were also produced providing enhanced tissue repair and reduced inflammation.
lol at the Astronauts name .. anyway I was right .. well kind of .. in the off season Trent had $10,000 stem cell surgery developed by NASA to repair his bung knees and he reckoned that they never felt so good.
I was a bit off with the bionic knees but yeah my point is his knees are good ..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
are you talking about the treadmill that nasa designed to aid their astronauts dealing with gravity effects from being in space?
She is taking the piss lol, robotic knees? Ahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.