Mbye edges ahead in race to play hooker

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ennis won't play. I think we'll go for a committee approach where Mbye, Reynolds, Jackson and probably Reni will all have shifts there to mix it up with a forward like Jackson, Finucane or Maitua etc defending in the middle the entire game so as not to expose our little men like Mbye or Reynolds through the middle and tire them out.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
i think the beat option is mbye at hooker swapping with jackson when frank comes on. Moses will offer the best service from dummy half out of all out options, his defence is also okay. If he needs a spell just slot jackson for 15min or so.
Jackson is pretty ordinary at hooker, and he himself has said so publicly on a few occasions.

If he is required to cover there, I can't imagine it would be for too long.

Although I don't really go much on Reynolds at Hooker, it could be useful rotating Mbye and Reynolds between 9 & 6, for endurance purposes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Ennis won't play. I think we'll go for a committee approach where Mbye, Reynolds, Jackson and probably Reni will all have shifts there to mix it up with a forward like Jackson, Finucane or Maitua etc defending in the middle the entire game so as not to expose our little men like Mbye or Reynolds through the middle and tire them out.
So we're going to have a camel play dummy half?

JORDZILLA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Dally M player of the year Johnathan Thurston has advised Canterbury youngster Moses Mbye to energise his Bulldogs teammates should he be called into Sunday's grand final.
Exciting rookie Mbye has been compared to Thurston coming through the ranks but the similarities don't end there.

In 2004, Thurston, who started his career at the Bulldogs, was a late call-up to the interchange bench to replace injured skipper Steve Price - with Canterbury going on to beat the Sydney Roosters for the premiership.

Now Mbye is poised for his own baptism of fire in Sunday's grand final against South Sydney as the prime candidate to replace captain Michael Ennis, who is battling foot fractures.
Mbye's eight games of first grade have come mainly in his preferred position in the halves, but Thurston has tipped the 20-year-old to be used as a bench dummy-half option against the Rabbitohs and says the youngster needs to think differently.

Thurston implored Mbye to not get bogged down by nerves and feelings of not belonging, and to immerse himself in the action and let teammates know everything is going to be fine.
"It's tough. He needs to prepare as if he's playing off the bench and the role of the bench person is to come on and provide a bit of spark," said Thurston.
"He needs to bring that energy around the boys and they need to feel that energy to give them a lift.
"That'll be his role so hopefully he gets the call-up and does a good job there.
"He goes good on that left side, he's a left-footer, but his role will be completely different to what he's done in the past."
Canterbury coach Des Hasler is keeping his cards close to his chest and could play veteran Reni Mait

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
True, our attack looked flat when reynolds went to hooker. We need him to spark our attack.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Mbye will get the nod. His defence is excellent, and speed from dummy half will gain much needed metres.

Reni is too much of a penalty risk. I mean he almost cost us last week with the brain snap.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cmon robbie, me an u see eye to eye on most things. U cant tell me u believe for a second that reynolds will start at hooker come sunday. Im 99.9% sure reynolds will stay at 5/8. U shouldnt weaken or tweak two positions to fill one.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Honestly, did no-one watch our 2nd half last week against Penrith with no Michael Ennis.? On 2 or 3 occasions Reynolds went to dummy half looked ahead and tried to run only to get monstered by the markers. On other times, his passes were behind his runners and otherwise often misdirected. Then Hokko went to dummy half a few times and threw the ball too far in front of Finucane to cause him to knock on and also stood before passing. Then Jackson went to dummy half and also provided generally slow service.

With only Ennis in doubt, only either Mybe or Reni can play. My question is, why do posters assume that the hooker has to be a middle defender? Id say play Mybe because he would provide generally quicker service from dummy half than Reni and is obviously faster out of dummy half to take the defence on. Our attack is the area of our game that needs a lift and Mybe will provide that more than Reni can. Our D has to be on all game or we are in trouble anyway.

With a whole week of ballwork, Mybe should be pretty slick as the DH come game day. You dont interchange hookers and thereby weaken other positions. Mybe is much younger than Reni and so should last longer in the game and if he can move a little wider in D then should last a whole game. Can anyone seriously think Reni would have the fitness to last the whole game if he was our DH and also had to be a middle defender. Also Mybe has a kicking game out of dummy half while Reni does not. I cans see that the Souths forwards will be looking to keep us pinned in our own quarter often as we run one out more than any other team to get out of trouble. So having Mybe at DH, he can kick if need be if Hokko or Reynolds are not in good clear position to kick.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Expecting Mick to play with a shot anyway, its not as if he has a broken fibula, if he is confident then we should trust him, just hope he has a strong pain barrier for the most important 80 minutes of his life.

DogsFan4Life

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I believe every one is fooled and Ennis will play .the bloke if he wasn't playing he would have did surgery already so don't think Ennis won't play cause he will

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cmon robbie, me an u see eye to eye on most things. U cant tell me u believe for a second that reynolds will start at hooker come sunday. Im 99.9% sure reynolds will stay at 5/8. U shouldnt weaken or tweak two positions to fill one.
I don't think he will either but I'm done trying to read Hasler's mind lol.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cant do surgery on a broken foot (top)
no screws or plates required
i did the same thing last year
was out for 2 weeks

blue n white

Waterboy
Reaction score
So what Reni had a brain snap he was defending our captains honour, that's a true bulldog, together forever!
I m a big fan of Moses Mbye he is a great player n in years to come will b the next JT, but rite now the only way we will win this game is with a strong defense side to hold out the bunnies!

Reni Maitua is my preferred option!

JORDZILLA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Big second-rower Josh Jackson was SPOTTED privately learning the ropes of dummy half in a closed training session today.

If he plays there we are fked. rather Reni or Mbye

Will the young gun be a shock selection at hooker in the #NRL grand final?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/canterbury-bulldogs-in-lockdown-to-keep-nrl-grand-final-hooker-replacement-top-secret/story-e6frf3pu-1227080105915

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Big second-rower Josh Jackson was SPOTTED privately learning the ropes of dummy half in a closed training session today.

If he plays there we are fked. rather Reni or Mbye

Will the young gun be a shock selection at hooker in the #NRL grand final?

http://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/canterbury-bulldogs-in-lockdown-to-keep-nrl-grand-final-hooker-replacement-top-secret/story-e6frf3pu-1227080105915
Whoever plays hooker wont be for full 80 so jacko and a few others may have to slot in for 10-20 mins during game but id be pissed if he started with jacko ,hes killing it in the 2nd row

Z-Dizzle

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Had to laugh at the title of the story. Haven't we always been accused by the media of being in lockdown for training? Can't see why we would open our doors for the biggest week of the year. Going back to Folkesy we used to be pretty private with what we were planning on doing on the feild.

Status
Not open for further replies.