Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Des ruining another career before our eyes.

6. Mbye - just run
7. Foran
9. Still no one
14. Nu Brown

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
And here lies a major problem. Mbye on big money still doeant know what position he belongs​

The coach also clearly doesnt know where his best position is, having moved him around from 6 to 7 to now 9.

And this is a player getting reportedly 750K/year - a joke of a situation that summarises where we are at as a footy team

IMO Mbyes best position is Fullback. He has all the physical attributes to make an excellent fullback, speed, good support play, decent passing game, ability to roam, great fitness & agility - and wont be burdened with decision making responsibilities that go with hooker and halfback

From SMH:

Moses Mbye doesn't know what he is now, let alone next season.

The Canterbury playmaker is so confused about his own ability that he can't even answer where he belongs on a football field.

"Look, to be honest, if I had to give an answer now, I'd say I was a utility," Mbye said following Canterbury's 16-8 loss to Penrith on Thursday night.

"I've managed to fill a few roles at this level. I've covered every position in the back line and played hooker in the forwards. It's a pretty good indication that I'm a utility. I think as I mature as a footballer, get more games under my belt and experience out on the field and work out combinations, that's when I'll really work out what I am."

There has been immense pressure on Mbye to live up to the hype that followed his meteoric rise to first grade, but unfortunately things haven't exactly gone to script since signing a lucrative four-year deal believed to be worth $3 million.

Some say he's lucky to still be at the club. Had Josh Reynolds not been off contract at the end of this season, perhaps it would have been Mbye making way for the arrival of Kieran Foran from the Warriors next season.

But even before the arrival of the Kiwi five-eighth, Mbye is no longer the first-choice half, with coach Des Hasler opting to play Matt Frawley in the No.7 jersey in recent weeks.

It has forced Mbye into the hooking role, where many expect he will be next season when Foran arrives at Belmore. The 23-year-old Queenslander is no stranger to the position, having spent some time in the No.9 coming through the ranks, but he remains unsure about where he fits into Hasler's plans next season.

"It's a tough one because I haven't had that conversation yet and I think it's a little bit too early to have that conversation considering the way things go with injuries and chopping and changing," Mbye said.

"If there's a hole for me to fill in that spot [hooker], I'm more than happy to put my hand up. I'm enjoying the physicality and the contest and the challenge of that role. It will be good to learn the game inside blokes like Matt and Kieran and whoever is coming on board for us next season. We'll have to wait and see [what] the future holds."

Mbye drew comparisons with Johnathan Thurston when he burst on to the scene with a number of eye-opening performances.

While he's struggled to live up to the hype since, he insists that he doesn't believe he's failed to capitalise on the opportunity given to him to cement his position as the long-term Canterbury No.7.

"I don't think it's an opportunity missed," Mbye said.

"I'm here playing rugby league and that's what I'm here to do. I don't think it's an opportunity that I've missed position wise. The conversations even in the period when I was in negotiations re-signing with the club, the negotiations were up in the air about what position I was actually going to play.

"It's still panning out that way. I think it's a pretty good headache for Des to have working out who will play in the halves when he has three or four blokes capable of doing so."
For three years I have been saying He is a fullback !
The reasons are
1. Half...He can't control a game like a half should.
2. Hooker...will burden him with the extra defense that will limit his attacking game.
3. Center...is a position that he looks lost in defense when he played there.
4. Five-eight...is a position where he might succeed in, only outside a great controlling half.
fullback will provide him with the freedom to move around in attack using his speed and skills, in defense he would be very strong and effective.
Most importantly... By having to tackle less will reserve his energy to attack more !
It's a Win Win situation.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I just don't like the guy...... I don't know why, every time I see him talking on tv like he's some kind of star player or expert I just think shut the fuck up you've done fuckall mate

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Id like to see him at 9 after a full off season only coz he gets our sets going far more efficiently than lichaa. Not only that but i dont think many people have seen play fullback, if any?

He could be damaging ala korisau, segiyaro (prior cronulla) but whatshisface is too stubborn and/or delusional.
His service is very good and he's done a solid job there.

I don't know if anyone has seen Mbye play fullback, even at Noosa, but his skill set and our lack of options there make me think it's worth a shot.

Nu brown can play hooker and seems better suited there while we still have Woolford who has yet to be given a shot

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
What a shambles.

The new Kurt Gidley mr versatile. Surely he has a position he played consistently coming up through the grades.
Played fb until he joined us. Debut at hooker in NYC and then moved to the halves. Then shuffled between centre and the the halves. Played hooker for QLD in the NYC SOO. Can't remember when he played for the junior Kangaroos though.

So basically no lol. But trust Des to make an even bigger mess of it.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Mbye WAS a great talent until.......well......need i say more. Can ge recover? I can't see why he can't in a different environment.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am beginning to wonder how much of an influence us fans are having on the club and their decision making

Think back to when mbye was in the negotiations with the club

It dragged on for ages and us fans were by and large banging on about him being the next Thurston and how he was a priority signing and all the rest
Just look back on this forum to see it all

I wonder if the club felt the need to sign him at all cost?
I wonder if they believed the hype that generated about mbye during that time and offered overs without knowing exactly what roll he would play in the team long term?
Definitely didn't want him at the time and most I believe wouldn't have been happy to throw the money we did at him

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The big problem with Mbye is simply that he does not possess a footballers mentality. He is essentially an athlete.
I doubt whether he has the ability to be a fullback and certainly not a half. I would suggest he be tried in the centre and replace Holland.
He has the speed, and he has the defence. He would not have to think to much in the centres. Its basically a case of catch and run.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Another sign of terrific recruitment/retention by this once great club.
We desperately need a Roosters 2012/2013 offseason style assessment / overhaul of the club in shaping the direction for the future.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
And here lies a major problem. Mbye on big money still doeant know what position he belongs​

The coach also clearly doesnt know where his best position is, having moved him around from 6 to 7 to now 9.

And this is a player getting reportedly 750K/year - a joke of a situation that summarises where we are at as a footy team

IMO Mbyes best position is Fullback. He has all the physical attributes to make an excellent fullback, speed, good support play, decent passing game, ability to roam, great fitness & agility - and wont be burdened with decision making responsibilities that go with hooker and halfback

From SMH:

Moses Mbye doesn't know what he is now, let alone next season.

The Canterbury playmaker is so confused about his own ability that he can't even answer where he belongs on a football field.

"Look, to be honest, if I had to give an answer now, I'd say I was a utility," Mbye said following Canterbury's 16-8 loss to Penrith on Thursday night.

"I've managed to fill a few roles at this level. I've covered every position in the back line and played hooker in the forwards. It's a pretty good indication that I'm a utility. I think as I mature as a footballer, get more games under my belt and experience out on the field and work out combinations, that's when I'll really work out what I am."

There has been immense pressure on Mbye to live up to the hype that followed his meteoric rise to first grade, but unfortunately things haven't exactly gone to script since signing a lucrative four-year deal believed to be worth $3 million.

Some say he's lucky to still be at the club. Had Josh Reynolds not been off contract at the end of this season, perhaps it would have been Mbye making way for the arrival of Kieran Foran from the Warriors next season.

But even before the arrival of the Kiwi five-eighth, Mbye is no longer the first-choice half, with coach Des Hasler opting to play Matt Frawley in the No.7 jersey in recent weeks.

It has forced Mbye into the hooking role, where many expect he will be next season when Foran arrives at Belmore. The 23-year-old Queenslander is no stranger to the position, having spent some time in the No.9 coming through the ranks, but he remains unsure about where he fits into Hasler's plans next season.

"It's a tough one because I haven't had that conversation yet and I think it's a little bit too early to have that conversation considering the way things go with injuries and chopping and changing," Mbye said.

"If there's a hole for me to fill in that spot [hooker], I'm more than happy to put my hand up. I'm enjoying the physicality and the contest and the challenge of that role. It will be good to learn the game inside blokes like Matt and Kieran and whoever is coming on board for us next season. We'll have to wait and see [what] the future holds."

Mbye drew comparisons with Johnathan Thurston when he burst on to the scene with a number of eye-opening performances.

While he's struggled to live up to the hype since, he insists that he doesn't believe he's failed to capitalise on the opportunity given to him to cement his position as the long-term Canterbury No.7.

"I don't think it's an opportunity missed," Mbye said.

"I'm here playing rugby league and that's what I'm here to do. I don't think it's an opportunity that I've missed position wise. The conversations even in the period when I was in negotiations re-signing with the club, the negotiations were up in the air about what position I was actually going to play.

"It's still panning out that way. I think it's a pretty good headache for Des to have working out who will play in the halves when he has three or four blokes capable of doing so."
G-dog keep pushing the idea of Mbye to FB, I believe that he will be as good as Barba, at least it won't take a good coach 4 years to see if he can make in that position.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I keep chopping and changing my opinions on our best spine for next year

I really don't like mbye in the halves and as much as I do rate Foran, I doubt him at 7 would improve mbye at 6.

I'm tending to think mbye might be good at fullback.
But that opens a can of worms through the team.

I don't know.

I see positives and negatives in several options with the players we have,

I am tending to think mbye should stay at 9

With Foran and brown in the halves but it leaves us with no real fullback option

I'd rather hoppa at centre

Whilst I'm not an abbey fan, I do hope he can make a fist of it at fullback in the NRL next season
I'm not holding much hope though
Thank you mate for another great post, I'm glad that you are thinking of trying Mbye at FB, I believe that Mbye should be FB, with Morris twins, Montoya, Lee, Kennard, Stanley and Smith available for the 3/4 line. I would have Hopoate on the bench in case of an injury he could cover just about any position in the back line, probably even 5/8, not much point having another forward on the bench to play 5 minutes, but I'm certain Des won't do it.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fullback is alot more than just what you will be like with the ball.
The defensive side is a different ball game. You have to cover so much territory, more than anyone else. Also there is your ability under the high ball. How tall is he? Is he good under the high ball?
I'd bet that Mbye is taller than Barba

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
imagine Mbye plays fullback next year and kills it.

how ridiculous (even more than he is now) would Des look that he wasted our rock star fullback all these year while he was playing hooker/ half and we could have done heaps better (even won a premiership) in last 4 years. lol

Now i think Des wont play him fullback with the fear that just in case if Mbye finds his spot and Des's incompetency as a coach would be further highlighted.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mbye Confused? - not the only one I bet!
It's funny how we went hard for Tedesco as what we "needed" at fullback, then miss out and replace him with Hoppa...someone who is NOTHING like Teddy...Des, WTF?

Anyhoo, I'll throw my support behind a push for Moses at fullback. He's an instinctive player, and at fullback he'll get more opportunities to react to what's happening rather than think about what to do...he is confused after all!

ALX25

Kennel Enthusiast
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Full time #9 next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.