matt utai

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Almighty

The Wogerator
Reaction score
What about the tries he bombed. >:(
A few years ago he was good, those massive legs would propel him towards the corner post no matter who was on him. Was crucial for us in the 04 g/f. But now with blokes like Folau, Grothe Jnr who are 6'2 with vertical leaps to match the best AFL players well it's money for jam for the opposition wingers when a good halfback pin points a decent kick to his wing.

He's 171 cms, plus can't jump so he basically gives away 10 inches almost in the air which is too much.

Has to go and dont think he's worth much to any other side either because he makes frequent handling errors and can't finish off a good set with a try when it beckons.

im with Rami.

i want him out b4 the soufs game.

B

BULLDOG GEORGE

folkes will move if he has to he knows his job is up for grabs too.

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
I love Matt Utai.
And I'm straight!
But.......even I can't support him anymore!
His read in defence is woefull.He,as someone said before,doesn't seem to want to contest the ball in the air.
He is making WAY too many mistakes in attack,both this year and last year when he returned from injury,and I can't see him getting anywhere the level that he used to play at!Remember him smashing over the top of opposition defenders,either near the try line or running the ball back from a clearance kick?
You know what?
I cant either! :(
If we need a "nuggety" winger,& that's VERY debatable, try Leon Bott!LOL

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
Our wingers had no support under the cross kicks tonight. Reddy was running in on a 45 degree angle and we had the inside backs standing on the 5m or try line watching FFS!!!!!!

Mighty_Matt

Waterboy
Reaction score
ALl I can say is its about f'en time! I have called for a change on Utai's wing for quite a while.....I even got argued against on this forum for thinking that UTAI was a liability. He needs to go and go now. His height is painful in todays competition, however what really annoys me is that he does not think not once, about anything. he doesnt put himself into a position to contest the football. He may make a jump at it, but its too late and from the wrong position that he will never get anywhere near the ball.....if only Tonga held onto that ball when he was running for the corner...Utai is plain and simply a muppet!
Can I also ask if you are a coach....why wouldnt you get word out to shift Utai in defence into the centres and have any other bloke onto wing to contest the high ball...at least TRY to fix the problem short term????? Is that too silly an option????????

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Agree, Nanai has to come in now. Why wait, he is young, quick and its round 2, dont wait till round 20

D_sab

Ballboy
Reaction score
2nd half we lackd alot of things. including explosive dummy half runs.. i know it was sully's first game... but he didnt continue his form from the trial game against the panthers.. btw i support all ur opinions of Utai's game tonight.

20-0 and to lose that lead.... i thoguht the halves did pretty well today and tonga did pretty alright.. betr than most of his games last year.

i was watching the NYC game and saw this guy named Kite play/... he's pretty good and barba was gun aswell... both teams stuffed it up int he 2nd half.

whats it with the bulldogs and short wingers? i understand why we have el masri, but utai?

bleedblue&white

go the berries
Reaction score
utai was fuking crap and will get beaten in the air all year, but what fuking made me choke was that none of the forwards even put a hit on finch when he was kicking, he had all the fuking time in world to receive the ball pick his spot and execute, knock the **** into next week so maybe next time he's wondering whose coming to get him!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! not picking which blade of grass to land the kick on
the fuking other problem is our wingers cost us points at both ends of the field out jumped in defence and the high ball is not an attacking option because they will never get up there and get it, all other teams score at least 25% of their points off high kicks we score **** all

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
ALl I can say is its about f'en time! I have called for a change on Utai's wing for quite a while.....I even got argued against on this forum for thinking that UTAI was a liability. He needs to go and go now. His height is painful in todays competition, however what really annoys me is that he does not think not once, about anything. he doesnt put himself into a position to contest the football. He may make a jump at it, but its too late and from the wrong position that he will never get anywhere near the ball.....if only Tonga held onto that ball when he was running for the corner...Utai is plain and simply a muppet!
Can I also ask if you are a coach....why wouldnt you get word out to shift Utai in defence into the centres and have any other bloke onto wing to contest the high ball...at least TRY to fix the problem short term????? Is that too silly an option????????
With Tonga & Utai we have some serious Handling issues!!!!!!!

edcid

I like boobies
Reaction score
Hey all, first post and loving the opinions. Unfortunate that this post is on such a crap occasion.

Anyways, agree with most in this thread re: Utai. He has been getting worse over the last few years and I think this was the last straw, especially if Folkes wants to keep his job.

You'd think after the first try Utai would've try something different...like positioning himself to smash the bloke once he landed. Since it was on the wings there'd be a good chance he'd take him into touch. His go forward is non-existent, he's prone to dropping the ball or losing it on tackles and I suspect he cops flack from the opponents that plays with his head. And those boots!!! LOL

It's hard to give it to a bloke who's previously given our club good service but the important thing here is the team so he needs to go.

will.i.am

Benchwarmer
Reaction score
i agree Utai had a shocker...let 3 tries in, missed 2 scoring opportunities that would be his bread and butter and his runs were uummm..ineffective. He performances in the trials were impressive with his dummy half work but saw nothing of that today...needs to improve big time if wants to stay in first grade

bulldogtimbo

Hazem's kicking tee.
Reaction score
I'm a wife of a Bulldogs fan and have stolen the keyboard 4 a while.I sit and watch the games and even i am pulling out my hair ( and i'm a tigers supporter ) Matt Utai isn't a bad player he is just 2 short 2 be out on the wing ,maybe they should retrain him as a hooker (Benny Elias style) He is 2 good 2 let go.:D

Bitemarks

mmm tasty ear
Reaction score
lucky for her she doesn't have to put up with having Utai in her side

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Just Utai and catch the ball ......

greekstyla

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Utai is a good player- i would'nt bag him.

I just find Utai plays poorly against fast moving teams that play quick around the ruck. Teams like, parra and the roosters will be doing the same thing when he plays unlike souths who rely on busts.

I bet if Utai is picked, which i believe he is entitled to another chance- he will prove us wrong with an excellent game. He did this last year against Penrith i think, which play a similar style of football against Souths (who both weren't good).

Utai needs to be slotted in according to the plays and structure the bulldogs are willing to take. Folkes has said this. But i honestly can't blame him trying to change the style of football that the bulldogs have relied on for the last 10 years.

He doesn't have all the personnel to do this.

Its very hard changing and remoulding a player. I'm not expecting the half back combinations to work immediately as this takes SEASONS to develop and mature to win the grandfinal- but what i look for is growth and for the boys to learn from there mistakes and take pride in what they do and respect the bulldogs 'comeback never say die culture' that was envisaged in the eighties and 90s back.

tempo

Pritteee Good
Reaction score
I'd even prefer Phelps to Utai tbh because at least he isn't a short a$$ and will jump for the ball. Utai and the other defenders looked amateurish under the high ball. Why can't Tonga go for it instead of just standing there?! Utai gets one more chance. it was the first game so you have to be slightly forgiving.

Status
Not open for further replies.