Social Media Matt Lodge

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I've been watching your comments for weeks and you're compelled to defend/have an excuse for everything that's "negative" (or the truth depending on how you want to look at it). TBH you triggered me really hard tunnel visioning on the 1st 3 words and disregarding the rest of my reply to you.
The you haven't been reading my posts.

Our attack isn't good enough.

Not having enough props isn't good enough.

I'm not convinced by our backline.

Burton hasn't been good enough and needs to step up more.

I don't know about Hutcho as a half.

There are lots of things we can and need to improve, but my head isn't so far up my own arse that I can't see the positives going on.

You'll find if you get your own head out of your own arse that we actually agree on a lot.

"We ain't going to agree" is just another stupid comment from you as we actually already agree on a lot.

You just thrive in the negativity and love to oppose people

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
The you haven't been reading my posts.

Our attack isn't good enough.

Not having enough props isn't good enough.

I'm not convinced by our backline.

Burton hasn't been good enough and needs to step up more.

I don't know about Hutcho as a half.

There are lots of things we can and need to improve, but my head isn't so far up my own arse that I can't see the positives going on.

You'll find if you get your own head out of your own arse that we actually agree on a lot.

"We ain't going to agree" is just another stupid comment from you as we actually already agree on a lot.

You just thrive in the negativity and love to oppose people
In regards to not having an opportunity to sign a quality and/or experienced middle over the last 2 years we're obviously not going to agree. I say what I believe is the truth which unfortunately with our club is "negative" more than not.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
In regards to not having an opportunity to sign a quality and/or experienced middle over the last 2 years we're obviously not going to agree.
But you said we'll NEVER agree.

I'm often wrong on a whole host of things, and can be very stubborn at times too.

But I like to think that when it comes to a discussion I can be very balanced.

I understand the concerns about the team.

I get the worry as we've lost the first few games.

But at the same time I can see positives there also.

You're just trying to stir up shit and fight with people who don't see your way.

"We'll never agree" is the biggest cop-out

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
But you said we'll NEVER agree.

I'm often wrong on a whole host of things, and can be very stubborn at times too.

But I like to think that when it comes to a discussion I can be very balanced.

I understand the concerns about the team.

I get the worry as we've lost the first few games.

But at the same time I can see positives there also.

You're just trying to stir up shit and fight with people who don't see your way.

"We'll never agree" is the biggest cop-out
personally I don't believe the positives are worth talking about since there are very few of them and they're minimal in impact. There are so many problems from top to bottom it isn't funny. We're so far away from where we need and want to be. You also replied to me and I'm pretty sure the user I replied to shares a similar opinion to me, but yes I'm the shit stirrer.

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Maybe because AFB had no true intention of coming to the Dogs? Maybe May wanted to see what he could do at the Roosters and give himself more leverage by playing well?

I get that many think it's all about money, but sometimes ... just sometimes a player may move for other reasons also?

It's not like the Dogs are the most attractive proposition to play for right now, are we? If I were AFB I'd sign with the Sharks and have more of a chance to win a comp and play semi final footy. Why would May jump to a struggling Dogs outfit so quickly?

Nah, it really isn't as simple as you continually try to make it out to be
Let's not forget, props we've attempted to sign were asking for a kings ransom...
The last thing we want to do is sign players for the wrong reasons !

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Let's not forget, props we've attempted to sign were asking for a kings ransom...
There are lots of reasons but people just get stuck into one way of thinking so ...

The club has made and will make mistakes. Gus and co aren't some higher than now untouchables ...

When they make mistakes we need to be able to admit them and call them out.

But, at the same time we need to be able to give them credit too.

It just seems as though so many on here are either 100% negative or 100% positive.

Why can't we be a bit of both?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There are lots of reasons but people just get stuck into one way of thinking so ...

The club has made and will make mistakes. Gus and co aren't some higher than now untouchables ...

When they make mistakes we need to be able to admit them and call them out.

But, at the same time we need to be able to give them credit too.

It just seems as though so many on here are either 100% negative or 100% positive.

Why can't we be a bit of both?
Gus isn't perfect no person is, sensible people would admit it,
IMO Gus is the best thing to happen to our club since Bullfrog !!!
The disappointing thing is some people won't admit it and have too much hate or agendas.

bradtalo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe because AFB had no true intention of coming to the Dogs? Maybe May wanted to see what he could do at the Roosters and give himself more leverage by playing well?

I get that many think it's all about money, but sometimes ... just sometimes a player may move for other reasons also?

It's not like the Dogs are the most attractive proposition to play for right now, are we? If I were AFB I'd sign with the Sharks and have more of a chance to win a comp and play semi final footy. Why would May jump to a struggling Dogs outfit so quickly?

Nah, it really isn't as simple as you continually try to make it out to be
I don't get why we didn't sign Tapuha from the Sharks (the young 6"5 114kg reserve forward who got over the line twice on Friday night). He's only on a minimum development contract with the Sharks and was available for next year until about 2 weeks ago when he resigned til end of 2025. Dogs were interested after he was hard to handle in the trial against us a few weeks ago but left it too late. Why wasn't he on the radar of Gus much much sooner ? He wasn't even at our game on Friday night (called the Panthers game for Nine). Maybe he's too busy

04 Dreaming

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't get why we didn't sign Tapuha from the Sharks (the young 6"5 114kg reserve forward who got over the line twice on Friday night). He's only on a minimum development contract with the Sharks and was available for next year until about 2 weeks ago when he resigned til end of 2025. Dogs were interested after he was hard to handle in the trial against us a few weeks ago but left it too late. Why wasn't he on the radar of Gus much much sooner ? He wasn't even at our game on Friday night (called the Panthers game for Nine). Maybe he's too busy
Just another prime example of the myth that “no decent forwards have been available” for the past couple years. Tapuha was cut loose by the Roosters end of 2022 before he was eventually signed up by the sharks. I think theres been plenty of decent forwards available, weve either just missed out on them in negotiations phase, or have failed to identify them completely and signed inferior players.

I sure hope we are making enquiries with Trey mooneys management team. Top young forward who cant get a run in the raiders 17

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I
I disagree with this comment and feel its the main problem of bottom placed teams....

The sooner bottom teams realise they have to sign certain stop-gap players on big money, just to get them out of the doldrums, and THEN fix their cap - the better.

The idea of trying to fix your cap first and then make astute purchases doesn't work in this era of minimum cap spend.

Players are dispensable. In order to get off the bottom of the ladder, you have to selectively find a player that will in 2 years get you off the bottom even if you pay big bucks. You then have to cut him loose unless he takes a paycut. He is dispensable. He's done his job but you must also have a succession plan immediately you signed him.

Our club needed an established top alpha half. Mitchell Moses comes to mind. Jarome Luai is another. Even if it cost 1.3M for 2 seasons, its money invested for the sole purpose of restructuring the team so you can understand who of the players around him are part of the clubs future and who wont cut it and should be moved on.

Having too many variables does not help in determining who to keep and who to let go.

Lock in your spine first and foremost and then you can make good long term decisions on other positions.

All we've done in the last 10 years is tread water trying to make a magical find in the halves and also in other positions. Its pure stupidity.

We are none the wiser in 2024 than we were in 2018

Last edited:

InGusWeTrust

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kuli from NQ would be my top pick to pursue. Goes very hard. Exactly what we need. He’s off contract this year. Dunno Hau Tapuha’s situation but he’d be a good signing too, but is more an impact player at this stage. Doubt he could sustain 40 minutes per game.

Mooney has potential but I worry because if he was that good, surely he gets a bench spot in NRL? They have Guler, Mariota and Paulo? Currently on the bench. Surely Mooney is better than one of them?

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I
I disagree with this comment and feel its the msin problem if bottom placed teams....

The sooner bottom teams realise they have to sign certain stop-gap players on big money, just to get them out of the doldrums and THEN fix their cap, the better.

The idea of trying to fix your cap first and then make astute purchases doesn't work in this era of minimum cap spend.

Players are dispensable. In order to get off the bottom of the ladder, you have to selectively find a player that will in 2 years get you off the bottom and you will pay big bucks. You then have to cut him loose unless he takes a paycut. He is dispensable. Hes done his job. You must have a succession plan immediately you signed him.

Our club needed an established top alpha half. Mitchell Moses comes to mind. Jarome Luai is another. Even if it cost 1.3M for 2 seasons, its money invested for the sole purpose of restructuring the team so you can inderstand who of the players around him are part of the clubs future and who should be moved on.

Having too many variables does not help in determining who to keep and who to let go.

Lock in the spine fitst and foremost and tyen you can make good long term decisions on other positions.

All weve done in the last 10 years is tread water trying to make a find in the halves and also in other positions. Its pure stupidity.

I've always believe in paying more for what's needed, that's reasonably more !
Gus didn't go through clearing the whole roster in order to sign more of very much the same,
In an effort to sign props and a halfbacks he attempted to sign many who by the way were still contracted and certainly came close until they were offered some ridiculous offers way more than what they are worth, some rejecting us for different reasons it certainly wasn't through lack of trying, players were offered hundreds of thousands more their worth and that's a NO NO unless you have a sombrero for a cap !

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've always believe in paying more for what's needed, that's reasonably more !
Gus didn't go through clearing the whole roster in order to sign more of very much the same,
In an effort to sign props and a halfbacks he attempted to sign many who by the way were still contracted and certainly came close until they were offered some ridiculous offers way more than what they are worth, some rejecting us for different reasons it certainly wasn't through lack of trying, players were offered hundreds of thousands more their worth and that's a NO NO unless you have a sombrero for a cap !
This is what it comes down to....
Not wanting to pay the overs bevause yiu dont want to be held to ransom by player and manager vs taking the cheaper inexperienced player and facing the wrath of the fans and board when it inevitably goes wrong.

Its a double edged sword but recent history will tell you, that you don't fuck around with inadequate spine players. You pay up, get estsblished players and then put the wheels in motion to "unearth" good talent in other positions.

I'd imagine other clubs and coaches are laughing at our predicament and mindset

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
This is what it comes down to....
Not wanting to pay the overs bevause yiu dont want to be held to ransom by player and manager vs taking the cheaper inexperienced player and facing the wrath of the fans and board when it inevitably goes wrong.

Its a double edged sword but recent history will tell you, that you don't fuck around with inadequate spine players. You pay up, get estsblished players and then put the wheels in motion to "unearth" good talent in other positions.

I'd imagine other clubs and coaches are laughing at our predicament and mindset
You speak as if Gus & Co have no a clues and don't realise the importance of a better spine, be assured they also know the important of every other position specially props, it is simply a very difficult players market.
I don't give a flying feather what other clubs coaches and their fans think !!!

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I
I disagree with this comment and feel its the main problem of bottom placed teams....

The sooner bottom teams realise they have to sign certain stop-gap players on big money, just to get them out of the doldrums, and THEN fix their cap - the better.

Players are dispensable. In order to get off the bottom of the ladder, you have to selectively find a player that will in 2 years get you off the bottom even if you pay big bucks. You then have to cut him loose unless he takes a paycut. He is dispensable. He's done his job but you must also have a succession plan immediately you signed him.

Our club needed an established top alpha half. Mitchell Moses comes to mind. Jarome Luai is another. Even if it cost 1.3M for 2 seasons, its money invested for the sole purpose of restructuring the team so you can understand who of the players around him are part of the clubs future and who wont cut it and should be moved on.

Lock in your spine first and foremost and then you can make good long term decisions on other positions.

All we've done in the last 10 years is tread water trying to make a magical find in the halves and also in other positions. Its pure stupidity.

It certainly seems like you know way more then Gus! He has said it time and time again, if you overpay fir a player you pay for it for years. It's the best way to blow your cap and put you behind for years to come. Gathering up the best juniors accross the grades is the best way to ensure success long term, not paying overs for a single player. It's a team sport after all.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
It certainly seems like you know way more then Gus! He has said it time and time again, if you overpay fir a player you pay for it for years. It's the best way to blow your cap and put you behind for years to come. Gathering up the best juniors accross the grades is the best way to ensure success long term, not paying overs for a single player. It's a team sport after all.
How else are we going to get a marquee middle or half. The team/performances would be better off overpaying for the right marquee then what we've been doing. You can even get creative and front load. Even play with an extra minimum wage guy to offset the overs.

Marki

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The issue is paying overs over many years.

Paying overs on a player for a contract that is 2 years long is not going to make your SC go pear-shaped.

Its the length of these contracts thats the problem.

If a good half is worth 1 - 1.1M, offer him 1.3M for 2 years. Maybe 3 years. But not more than that.

We are a club that has no million dollar players. We spread our cap over 30 players while most others (nearly all actually) spread the lion's share to their top 20 amd theres a huge drop to the next 10.

I know the sakary cap floor is partly to blame but this fixation of not wanting to pay big fir established spine players is not getting us anywhere....

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There's no one worth paying millions for that is off contract. And don't think we didnt offer AFB a bloody good offer.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How else are we going to get a marquee middle or half. The team/performances would be better off overpaying for the right marquee then what we've been doing. You can even get creative and front load. Even play with an extra minimum wage guy to offset the overs.
No marquee? We added JAC, then Burton, Kikau, Chrichton. I feel like we are slowly stacking our side with quality, whilst also not killing our books.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He probably saw how shit Pele was for us and went nah I'ma stay here