Official Matt Dufty signs with the Bulldogs for season 2022

Benno Bulldog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I disagree with some of the sentiments towards TBaz handling of failing players, building trust around how professionals are treated as they approach the end of the ir careers is pretty important to players and when weighing options about a going to a club the relationship with the coach is primary. Just saying to a player look how I've treated some out of form players, could prioritise the club as a recruitment option. Bennett went on about workplace environments and I think in the current climate many would rather play for Barrett than some of the demands of other coaches so. I get we are hungry for some wins but I like how this is shaping up.

GP

Waterboy
Reaction score
You have to look at this from a salary cap management point of view. We have moved on DWZ but still paying a portion of his salary next year. I think you will find the portion of DWZ's salary plus Dufty's salary combines will still be less than if we had kept DWZ. We have freed up a bit of money, still covered fullback and in 2023 we will then have DWZ's salary to spend on a new fullback if Dufty doesn't work.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Without forwards doing a good job and making grounds for them the fast men just going to look like sports cars in a traffic jam. I thought this has been our issue this year.

Gene Krupa

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He & other Dragons team mates haven't signed the statutory declaration saying no other person was it the BBQ. Can the NRL stand them down until they do. I know the NRL were going to revise it, but don't know if they have.

D.O.W.

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If it is one year deal I think it works well for us. In 2022 Ryan Papenhuzyen is off contract so we should go out hard for him.
This could be the plan and if it happens, Dufty and Fox on the wings ain’t bad at all… Okunbur can potentially transition into an Edge forward.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Some people are saying the 1 year represents low risk but the fact is still less money to get players we need, right? The way contracts are going these days, some good options may be available later in the year too

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Willing to give Dufty a chance but can’t help but think we should’ve retained Meaney, who’s developing into a very well rounded footballer and will probably shine at the Storm.
Yep, considering what he cost I thought he was a no brainer to keep. Obviously Supercoach didn't.

bulldogsmyte

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
About time we have a genuine ball playing FB.
I would now stick with Flannagan as he will have creators in Dufty and Burton around him.
The HB is supposed to be the most creative player in the team not the FB or 5/8. That's why they are called the playmakers. Flanno has little creative skills or vision at all because he's not a genuine HB. He's just dead weight wearing #7 jersey.

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hope we’re going to be good enough to give him good early ball next year. We need to land the cheese and another big quality prop.

Haddaway

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Yep, considering what he cost I thought he was a no brainer to keep. Obviously Supercoach didn't.
But we would have had to pay overs to keep him, wouldn't we?

If the Storm offer the same amount as what we do why would he chose to stay with us? When he could go and be in the best system in League.

The only reason he would have to stay with us is a full time gig at FB and the most likely reason, that we payed overs to keep him. No thinks to paying overs for Meaney.

Bazildog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But we would have had to pay overs to keep him, wouldn't we?

If the Storm offer the same amount as what we do why would he chose to stay with us? When he could go and be in the best system in League.

The only reason he would have to stay with us is a full time gig at FB and the most likely reason, that we payed overs to keep him. No thinks to paying overs for Meaney.
I don't know for sure but I reckon he would have stayed for les to see what Burton/JAC etc bring. Some bloke still play to win a comp, not all but some.