Opinion Matt Burton

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I rate Flanno I think he will come good but thats my opinion. Interesting thought that you think Avo has been better, I personally dont think its comparable but why don't we move Jake into half and see how he goes? Nothing to lose might as well.

While we are on the Avo topic. Thoughts on Avo shifting to fullback??
He is no good at one on one tackling at this stage, would be a turnstile at the last line of defence

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Flanno will improve, his last tackle options will improve with experience. I do not believe we have made an offer to Reynolds, it is pretty clear in everything that Barrett says is that he is not after a quick fix (exactly what Reynolds would be) Also as far as dominant and non dominant half its not as simple. In the Souths system Reynolds is a kicker and Walker is the playmaker. Reynolds may control tactical kicking but all the plays are called from Walker.

The only thing we would get with Reynolds would be the kicking but I see Burton will likely be doing most of that next year anyway.

GreenTurd

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I rate Flanno I think he will come good but thats my opinion. Interesting thought that you think Avo has been better, I personally dont think its comparable but why don't we move Jake into half and see how he goes? Nothing to lose might as well.

I agree flanno is definitely not playing to his ability. He’ll be better with burton.

Averillo running, kicking and vision has been better than flanno with less ball cause flanno keeps sending it the other way.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

Averillo in limited touches has made better decisions while his kicking game looks to be superior at this stage, he also looks to be improving while Flanagan continues to decline..

I said it after the trial and Flanagan simply can't play on the ball...Baz messed up making him the focal point of our attack at this stage of his career. If your half is going to be touching the ball 70 times a game then he needs variation in his game, he needs to be able to run, make good decisions, etc. Flanagan has done none of that and it has broken down from there.

Baz looks to have copped on judging off the Sharks game. I've been saying it for ages but we simply need to play direct and through our forwards. Fucking Napa even looked half decent lol. We need to focus on effort areas, defence and building combinations. It was beyond me that Baz wanted to play a certain way when we clearly weren't equipped to play that way.

Offensively Jake would be fine at fullback, defence is the issue. The more direct Jake plays and runs at the defenders the better he and the team will be.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Ideal time, at some stage this year, is to try Avo at FB.

He has Barba like talents we've seen glimpes of and until we see him at FB, we can only guess how much he'd offer in that position.

Malla

Reaction score
Averillo in limited touches has made better decisions while his kicking game looks to be superior at this stage, he also looks to be improving while Flanagan continues to decline..

I said it after the trial and Flanagan simply can't play on the ball...Baz messed up making him the focal point of our attack at this stage of his career. If your half is going to be touching the ball 70 times a game then he needs variation in his game, he needs to be able to run, make good decisions, etc. Flanagan has done none of that and it has broken down from there.

Baz looks to have copped on judging off the Sharks game. I've been saying it for ages but we simply need to play direct and through our forwards. Fucking Napa even looked half decent lol. We need to focus on effort areas, defence and building combinations. It was beyond me that Baz wanted to play a certain way when we clearly weren't equipped to play that way.

Offensively Jake would be fine at fullback, defence is the issue. The more direct Jake plays and runs at the defenders the better he and the team will be.
I dont fully agree. I think the weight of the responsibilities of being the half is burdening on Flanno, he just needs to learn to adjust. I don't think he is declining, I thought he had a better game on the weekend. Hard to play on the ball when our forwards can't even get on their stomachs for quick play the balls.

I'll give the board a call later today and tell them you think we should play more direct. Should fix our problems hopefully.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I dont fully agree. I think the weight of the responsibilities of being the half is burdening on Flanno, he just needs to learn to adjust. I don't think he is declining, I thought he had a better game on the weekend. Hard to play on the ball when our forwards can't even get on their stomachs for quick play the balls.

I'll give the board a call later today and tell them you think we should play more direct. Should fix our problems hopefully.
It sounds like your making every excuse possible just because you like Flanagan...lol.

Malla

Reaction score
It sounds like your making every excuse possible just because you like Flanagan...lol.
Not at all. I am being realistic. Not an easy gig being a half on a shit team in your second year in first grade lol.

I like anyone that wears the blue and white except Ogden the fat lazy flop

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Flanagan was once again horrible in attack on Saturday and wasted several opportunities to get repeat sets or score. His defence was really good but his kicking game was horrible once again..

The only reason he's the dominant half now is because he's the only one with halves experience in the spine. But now Averillo has thankfully taken over more with Flanno struggling...

I kept telling everyone Burton would be our dominant half and play like the halfback but people kept insisting Flanagan would get all the ball despite being twenty times less talented and skilled than Burton.. While also having none of the vision, composure or IQ that Burton naturally has..

Maybe now that more people have seen how good and complete a player Burton is, and how limited and average Flanno is, they can realise that Burton always was going to be and will be the main playmaker who dominates touches and the kicking game.. Baz didn't bring him over and recruit him so heavily to play second fiddle to Flanagan.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Flanagan was once again horrible in attack on Saturday and wasted several opportunities to get repeat sets or score. His defence was really good but his kicking game was horrible once again..

The only reason he's the dominant half now is because he's the only one with halves experience in the spine. But now Averillo has thankfully taken over more with Flanno struggling...

I kept telling everyone Burton would be our dominant half and play like the halfback but people kept insisting Flanagan would get all the ball despite being twenty times less talented and skilled than Burton.. While also having none of the vision, composure or IQ that Burton naturally has..

Maybe now that more people have seen how good and complete a player Burton is, and how limited and average Flanno is, they can realise that Burton always was going to be and will be the main playmaker who dominates touches and the kicking game.. Baz didn't bring him over and recruit him so heavily to play second fiddle to Flanagan.
Burton might be 7 in Baz's plans.

Flanno at 7 and Burton 6 just doesn't work.

Burton has everything and his partner needs to be an organiser, kicker and the ability to read plays and shovel it out to Burton.
Flanno is not that kind of player and its hard to see him achieving those skills and deferring to Burton.

Bit of a headache coming up for Baz to sort this out. Great headache to have but the whole gameplan will revolve around Burton so be interesting to see what Baz can do with pairing Burton and Flanno, if anything. It doesn't look like Flanno will be up to it at this stage.

Give him a bit more time but he really is running out of excuses. Some of his decision making is very poor and a lot of the time thats nothing to do with average forwards.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Burton might be 7 in Baz's plans.

Flanno at 7 and Burton 6 just doesn't work.

Burton has everything and his partner needs to be an organiser, kicker and the ability to read plays and shovel it out to Burton.
Flanno is not that kind of player and its hard to see him achieving those skills and deferring to Burton.

Bit of a headache coming up for Baz to sort this out. Great headache to have but the whole gameplan will revolve around Burton so be interesting to see what Baz can do with pairing Burton and Flanno, if anything. It doesn't look like Flanno will be up to it at this stage.

Give him a bit more time but he really is running out of excuses. Some of his decision making is very poor and a lot of the time thats nothing to do with average forwards.
Whoever partners Burton just has to have a good running game to be a threat in attack, kick every now and then as a second option and pretty much stand back and let Burton do the rest...

Right now Averillo's form has been better than Flanagan's and if they're looking at fullbacks or think of playing DWZ/Meaney there next year, then it means either Averillo or Flanagan are auditioning for the other halves spot.

Averillo/Burton compliment each others games better than I think Flanagan/Burton would. Flanagan's lack of a running game will render him obsolete next to Burton as Burton will do all of the playmaking and kicking.. At least Averillo takes the line on and is a constant threat to make a line break to take advantage of the space and attention Burton will get from other teams..

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Not at all. I am being realistic. Not an easy gig being a half on a shit team in your second year in first grade lol.

I like anyone that wears the blue and white except Ogden the fat lazy flop
I agree it isn't easy, but that doesn't mean he has an excuse for everything. I know you want to blame the forwards for everything but there's periods when we're finding quick play the balls and there's space, but instead of attacking the space Flanagan turns the temp down, drifts sideways and kills the play. There's also times where Jake shoots across to the right and instead of Flanagan using him either to linkup with or as a decoy he just mindlessly passes well before the line for a forward to take a hitup.

He might well get better and there's plenty of things not in his favour right now (that applies to other players, not just him), but i still expect better from him. Waddell playing at the line for Meaneys try was miles better than anything Flanagan has done, infact I can't even remember the last time he took the ball to the line like that.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Whoever partners Burton just has to have a good running game to be a threat in attack, kick every now and then as a second option and pretty much stand back and let Burton do the rest...

Right now Averillo's form has been better than Flanagan's and if they're looking at fullbacks or think of playing DWZ/Meaney there next year, then it means either Averillo or Flanagan are auditioning for the other halves spot.

Averillo/Burton compliment each others games better than I think Flanagan/Burton would. Flanagan's lack of a running game will render him obsolete next to Burton as Burton will do all of the playmaking and kicking.. At least Averillo takes the line on and is a constant threat to make a line break to take advantage of the space and attention Burton will get from other teams..
If there smart they will slot Avo in FB, Burton 6 and Flanno at 7. Flanno will come good when he has more experience and doesn't have the stress of shouldering the whole team. Avo at FB is perfect for him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
If there smart they will slot Avo in FB, Burton 6 and Flanno at 7. Flanno will come good when he has more experience and doesn't have the stress of shouldering the whole team. Avo at FB is perfect for him.
Maybe.. I hope you're right with Flanno but I think the Roosters moved on for him for good reason and he just doesn't have it..

It's also assuming Averillo makes it as a fullback which is still such an unknown..

Malla

Reaction score
I agree it isn't easy, but that doesn't mean he has an excuse for everything. I know you want to blame the forwards for everything but there's periods when we're finding quick play the balls and there's space, but instead of attacking the space Flanagan turns the temp down, drifts sideways and kills the play. There's also times where Jake shoots across to the right and instead of Flanagan using him either to linkup with or as a decoy he just mindlessly passes well before the line for a forward to take a hitup.

He might well get better and there's plenty of things not in his favour right now (that applies to other players, not just him), but i still expect better from him. Waddell playing at the line for Meaneys try was miles better than anything Flanagan has done, infact I can't even remember the last time he took the ball to the line like that.
Lol ok. I follow Flanno on instagram I'll tell him what you said, hopefully he listens.