News Matt Burton wants out

Cujo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have been a huge fan of Burton's since I saw him first play first grade. As many have suggested, among many of the great things he did tonight his kicking game was awesome. However I want to be clear that I thought his long kicking game was fantastic. His attacking kicking game was not as impressive tonight(though in games last year it was good). I am not a huge Avo fan boy, however I thought his attacking kicking in the first game this year was better than Burtons tonight (if I had to be critical of any aspect of Matt's game.)
In saying that I can't wait to see him in the blue & white, finally i can go to bed with a little hope for the future of the club. It may be a year off but it is on the horizon!

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Fuck i was watching K(G)ayo lol

like his style all round..and for the moment whilst id love him here like everyone else he is better off there while we find our mojo

Bulldog1966

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
They switch to Johns and his dipshits talking shit and taking names the moment full time is blown @Gayo!!

rainman

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Penrith win GF in 2021 burton plays due to injury says he loves these guys
Then wants out of his bulldog contract
We grant him release he stays with Penrith becomes next JT
We refer to him till 2034
Rest is history

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
MOM in NSW Cup last week and then a week later he's MOM in FG against last year's premiers. Well done

The variety in his kicking game, not to mention the distance, was outstanding. His kicking game is so good it would almost negate our power puff forward pack.

It was great to hear the Ch9 and Fox commentary team jizzing over Burton. It's been 9 years since we've had a player the media was excited about in Barba. I've been getting sick of all the hype that Suaali and Sam Walker have been getting this offseasn so it's good to finally have a gun in our ranks that the media is excited about.

To the minority that said they didn't get the hype over Burton, or worse they thought Avo was the better option at 6, please give yourselves an uppercut

Also, I don't get why people keep saying Burton or JAC will renege on their deals. They have already signed the contracts so even if they wanted to they can't. Why the hell would we let them out of their deals? If Penrith are refusing to release Burton out of the final year of his contract, then there is no way in hell we're releasing Burton out of his 3 year deal. Not to mention Laui has just re-signed on big money, and Cleary is on $1M a year, so where the hell would he even play? It's just not going to happen so there is no point wasting time worrying about it. We have other problems to worry about like DWZ and Jackson being on huge contracts beyond this year

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
Anyone have a link to the interview? I watched on Kayo.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
If only Pantgers release him this year.. il throw in some garlic chicken rolls to sweeten the deal for Ivan..

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
[
Burton is only going to add to the hype after tonight. For everyone frustrated about this season, just be thankful we have two genuine stars in Burton and Fox coming next season with plenty more to come.
And we can give Baz a lot of the credit for signing them. Or at least the main kudos.

Reckon he just earnt himself some brownie points while this current team rebuild goes on this season :grinning:

surfdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Was great to watch him on the bigger stage, impressive. I only hope we can bring in some forwards to allow the kid to shine with us next year.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah, channel 9 showed his interview.

Answered well, looking forward to join us but has a job to do this year with Penrith.
So Burton hasn't actually said he wants out?

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
So Burton hasn't actually said he wants out?
He didn't seem flustered one way or the other really.

Very professionally said he had a job to do this year at Penrith...kinda seemed like that was that. He showed he valued ethics more than anything.

Having said that he hasn't been substantially pressed on it and he would have been feeling on top of the world after that game he put in and winning.

Last edited:

Malla

Reaction score
He didn't seem bothered one way or the other really.

Very professionally said he had a job to do this year at Penrith...kinda seemed like that was that. He showed he valued ethics more than anything.

Having said that he hasn't been substantially pressed on it and he would have been feeling on top of the world after that game he put in and winning.
He definitely wants out but he is a professional.

ASR010

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I've been lurking on the kennel for at least 17 years, i barely ever log into my account. But after watching Burton last night i needed somewhere to let out my excitement. What a fcking player! I hate overhyping players with only a small sample size, but this kid has got it. He just does. It's clear to see we have an absolute gem on our hands for the first time in a very very long time. Vision, high footy IQ, speed, strength, calming presence, a fucking monster kicking game. His MOTM interview impressed me, such a level head and great professionalism, light years ahead of the majority of his peers across the competition. These are the players we need at the dogs. We really need to land the cheese and 2 big aggressive forwards, tapau in for napa would be a great start. I'm ready for us to become the team everyone loves to hate again. Go Dogs!