News Matt Burton wants out

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I can't really blame the Panthers for wanting to keep him, but I'd love to see him arrive here a year early....and that would be in Matt's best interests too. I think the argument that he would be better off playing a handful of games at Penrith rather than a full season at The Dogs is absurd, but sadly, he is contracted and if Penrith don't want to let him go, there's not much we can do.
Obviously playing first grade is the best option no question. But being at the best development club in the game isn't a bad second choice.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
So with bugger all injuries again (which was one of the main reasons you went as well as you did last year) he MAY play 2 first grade games
We had 7 out at one point and have a history of injuries.

The__GM

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Obviously playing first grade is the best option no question. But being at the best development club in the game isn't a bad second choice.
The Roosters and Melbourne would like a word there lol. As much as I despise both clubs, they are right up there in terms of the best player development.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I agree that Burton is way better than Salmon but lets say he sits in reserve for 24 rounds then Luai or The chin go down. Do you think Burton is going to go out and win a game for the panthers? The reason why clubs move on people in burton's situation is that he can also be a negative influence plus he wont bust an arse if he does come on. The plus for the panthers is they get more cap space freed up to bring in players who want the opportunity
That's why you weigh up the pros and cons. Penrith released Hetherington to us with little issue and some on here seem to forget that.

Rockdog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Development? His best Development will be to play first grade week in week out now. How much motivation will he have sweating on an off chance of an injury or maybe one or two games during origin. His time has come for first grade Development under Barrett and everybody knows it, including Ivan Cleary and Penriff.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The Roosters and Melbourne would like a word there lol. As much as I despise both clubs, they are right up there in terms of the best player development.
Indeed. But at least it's not a shit club who don't care. We want players ready for first grade and you'll get him ready to win games.

That's why you weigh up the pros and cons. Penrith released Hetherington to us with little issue and some on here seem to forget that.
By all accounts we are chipping in for Hetherington as well.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I still can't believe how entitled some of our fans are acting lol. Burton has a contract, he's the best depth half in the comp on fuck all coin so it's an absolute no brainer to try and keep him. Penrith will milk this for as long as possible.
Fair enough. But Penrith shouldn’t come out and spin the excuse that it’s good for his development to stay there. Coz it’s not good for anyone’s development to be getting no game time.

Cosmo24

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He'll spend the year preparing to be a half in a team fighting for top 4 and premiership. That counts for a lot.

Both origins minimum then any injuries in the halves.
Would you give an employer 100% knowing that another employer is willing to pay you a lot more now and give you more time doing what you’re trained to do?
- remember NRL contracts mean nothing when played right.

If he does stay with your mob to play a couple of games, I hope he plays a must win game and just tanks. I don’t think he would, but It would be funny. He knows his future is with the Dogs

Last edited:

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I think the issue is, Burton clearly doesn't think he has been treated well at Penrith. I mean playing Tyrone May in front of him? Come on! And apparently he was offered a chance to cement a centre role, only for Penrith to go out and buy an established centre. Things like this can't be good for his morale. He obviously feels strongly enough about wanting out that he has told his manager to go on public record making his wishes known.....

Anyway, at the end of the day, he's a contracted player and it's Penrith's call. The only real question is, how unhappy is he with the prospect of staying there and will having a clearly unhappy player on the books be good for team morale? II think Cleary could have done more to make Burton feel wanted....and maybe he could have even convinced him to stay on a bit longer. But if the club feels he can be an asset for them, they are well within their rights to keep him. No question he is an outstanding back up half.

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Development? His best Development will be to play first grade week in week out now. How much motivation will he have sweating on an off chance of an injury or maybe one or two games during origin. His time has come for first grade Development under Barrett and everybody knows it, including Ivan Cleary and Penriff.
The comment you quoted said playing first grade is the best option for his development and finishing his contract with us is a pretty good second option since we value development so highly and everyone will be prepping for a top 4 run.

kmr07

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He'd get 6 or bench with a half injured. Either way he would be playing this year at origin and anything Cleary/Luai are out guarenteed.
Yeah ok. So playing maybe 5 games a season is good for his development ‍♂. In that case, why did Mansour leave? He could have been back up to Staines / To’o. No one wants to be a back up and it’s not good for anyone’s development to be. Yes it is in Penrith’s right to keep him but don’t spin the development bullshit.. especially when Cleary is the biggest hypocrite

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
The comment you quoted said playing first grade is the best option for his development and finishing his contract with us is a pretty good second option since we value development so highly and everyone will be prepping for a top 4 run.
Old Mr cleary

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I still can't believe how entitled some of our fans are acting lol. Burton has a contract, he's the best depth half in the comp on fuck all coin so it's an absolute no brainer to try and keep him. Penrith will milk this for as long as possible.
Yh but it’s alright for Penrith to tap mansour and whare on the shoulder whenever the fuck they want yh
oh and it’s alright for Cleary to fuck over the tigers and walk out mid contract

Eagle1

Banned
Reaction score
Panthers coach in the kennel huh you going to leave the Panthers to

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yh but it’s alright for Penrith to tap mansour and whare on the shoulder whenever the fuck they want yh
oh and it’s alright for Cleary to fuck over the tigers and walk out mid contract
Its a competitive professional sport do you think Penrith or Ivan care about that?

They are looking after number 1.

thedoctor81

Waterboy
Reaction score
CLEARY RESPONDS TO BURTON’S EXIT PLEA

Panthers coach Ivan Cleary has responded to reports linking back-up five-eighth Matt Burton with an early move to the Bulldogs.

The 20-year-old is due to join Canterbury in 2022, but former Panthers assistant and new Bulldogs coach Trent Barrett wants him this season.

“I’ve said all along that Matt’s a really valuable member of our squad,” Cleary said.

“We really value him as a person and a player.”

Cleary also responded to reports of a potential swap deal involving Burton and Bulldogs and former Maroons prop Dylan Napa.

“If you keep getting asked which we have, they keep asking the question, I suppose there’s always something that might make a deal happen,” Cleary said.

“But realistically there hasn’t been so I’m not too sure what all the fuss is about.

“Matt’s part of our team and there’s never been any inkling he’s going to leave.

“If you keep getting asked, of course you throw out something that may make a deal happen, but I don’t think that was ever going to happen.

“There was just a bit of talk there but nope.”

Burton has scored three tries in six games since making his debut for the Panthers in 2019.

#FREEBURTON
Cleary's basically said there that they just threw out an unrealistic request (Napa with the Dogs paying the difference in contract I assume) to see if we were desperate enough to take it...

Oldpanther

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Panthers coach in the kennel huh you going to leave the Panthers to
I agreed for his development as a player it'd be best to get game time at nrl level so not sure what your getting at. Though you guys will want to hope Burton isn't the type to force his way out of a contract by throwing games or making things unpleasant as he'll do the same to you. Best to come to an agreement with a trade or pay out somehow.

gbrussell

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe it's just me but in the 2 years that Napa has played for us I can only recall him playing 1 good game. I can't remember the opposition but it was a day time game and he scored a try. The only other good game I recall is when he smashed the Burgess brothers while he was at the Roosters

Every other player, even the crap ones, usually have a few good games a year. Thomposon, Atoni, Ogden all had a few good games last year but I can't recall Napa having even one. Maybe I'm just so biased against him because he used to be a Rooster and he's a Justin Beiber groupie that I don't recall his good games and that I don't see his supposed talent.

IMO he is such a forgettable player that I dont even notice when he's in the 17 let alone on the field
That game was against the Tigers at Campbelltown.