Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Gus and Politis go way back mate. I am not saying it wont happen but I would be surprised if they chased any players we wanted to keep while Gus is at the club. The same would apply to any players they wanted to keep.

Bullfrog and Ken Arthurson had a similar deal back in the day.

As I said that may not be the case but with Gus at the club we are certainly better placed to ward off Uncle Nick and his brown paper bags
There's probably some sort of set of rules of engagement for players off contract between the two. I was being a little bit theatrical. I dare say though if a player's manager initiates contact then all bets are off.

They're one club you can never be comfortable about losing players too as the beaches, restaurants, pubs and girls are a big lifestyle sell for a 20 something year old athlete, not to mention the sombrero and business contacts to get a big player over the line.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I concur. Reckon it is 5 years as the new contract will start 2024 and end 2028, which is 5 years. You were on the money @ASSASSIN

How good is it, Burton is the real deal. It is important to pay attention to his good performances at this stage of his career. He should and will have poor performances, because adversity and experiment is what helps good players become great players. He is only 22. Baa Lamb played some of his best footy in his 30s.
Baa played great footy from the get go ... the best week in, week out, club footballer i have ever seen.

Burton has some great assets (kicking, running) and some not so (passing, game management).

For a top class 5/8 he throws a lot of NOTHING passes which do not help his outside men in the slightest.

I do not think he is a natural ball player, and to be honest i have been disappointed in this aspect of his play.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Baa played great footy from the get go ... the best week in, week out, club footballer i have ever seen.

Burton has some great assets (kicking, running) and some not so (passing, game management).

For a top class 5/8 he throws a lot of NOTHING passes which do not help his outside men in the slightest.

I do not think he is a natural ball player, and to be honest i have been disappointed in this aspect of his play.
He needs to improve in those areas for sure.

JAZZY92

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What do you think the plan is with burton if we keep him long term?
Kyle, although playing better lately doesn’t seem to be hitting his straps the way we’d hoped for.
Does Gus and Ciraldo buy him a 7 or develop him into one and buy a 6?
I really think he could be that dangerous 7 like Jahrome Hughes if he works on some passing and game management. Could CC get that out of him?
I can see them going down this path purely because the number of quality 7’s is so low. Whereas a 6 or 1 can be grabbed from basically anywhere. (Munster, Campbell, AJ Brimson come to mind). Would love to hear some other opinions.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Kyle, although playing better lately doesn’t seem to be hitting his straps the way we’d hoped for.
I really think he could be that dangerous 7 like Jahrome Hughes if he works on some passing and game management. Could CC get that out of him?
I can see them going down this path purely because the number of quality 7’s is so low. Whereas a 6 or 1 can be grabbed from basically anywhere. (Munster, Campbell, AJ Brimson come to mind). Would love to hear some other opinions.
I just feel Burto is such a big body, 7 wouldn't suit him. He is agile BUT takes a while to wind up and needs time to execute. He needs space but won't get it at 7.

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just feel Burto is such a big body, 7 wouldn't suit him. He is agile BUT takes a while to wind up and needs time to execute. He needs space but won't get it at 7.
Would be a waste to burden him with controlling the team.

He is a player who should get the ball when he wants it.

jordansaba

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
can u imagine our team if we never landed burto. who would have been our 6? lol

cookieman909

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Fullback

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Agree, and I think Burtons running game is better suited on the left side of the field. Having him mainly on the right would reduce his effectiveness. However, I am all for him having more of a roving role with both the 7 and him on the right to shake things up. We will have such a strong left-side attack next year. Mixing it up and having numbers on the right could be a very dangerous tactic if teams are stacking the other side.

Yougra

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think he needs a 7 that can take some pressure off him. We need another threat on our other side.
Flanagan doesn't offer any threat be it running, creating or putting runners into holes

That's why against popular opinion Im hoping we get Hastings. Burton is far from the finished product at 22 years old but the sky is the limit.

We need to be better balanced as a team to let him reach his potential, not become over burdened with expectations

He's got the goods, no doubt about it

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
2027 or 2028? And even tho it's 2027 it's a 5 year deal. Hope he resigns!
2024, 2025, 2026, 2027, 4 years. He's contracted for next year already.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
2023 counts it's also a season so 5 years.
It doesn't work like that. Already contracted for next year and is being offered a 4 year extension/deal. You probably mean the same thing I'm saying just you're saying it wrong.