Matt Burton | Consolidated thread

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I just watched the Burton Interview

"I am enjoying my time here" appears positive, but the phrase 'my time here' tells me that he treats it like a likely temporary phase and is yet to deeply connect to the Club as his spiritual home. This is very normal given he has only been here 2 years and it has been loss after loss and drama after drama while his value shoots up way above his payments.

"The club {this and that} - he talks like the Club is separate to him. He does not say, our Club ever. Once again, he is happy to be a Bulldogs player for the term of contract - but he is very comfortable leaving if the $$ is not right - which is also perfectly reasonable.

I am not having a go at Burton for his language and exposing his position. I am flagging that the Club needs to put itself on notice that there is a lot of work to be done to make Burton feel and want to belong to the Bulldogs for the next 10 years+. This should be the goal and our salary cap and his talent should make a 10 year contract happen. I would even be talking about a contract after footy to promote the Club and train the younger players coming through on good money too.

This may well be the most important signing we will make in the past 20 years and the next 10.
First of all, i think your just reading way too much into things!!!
Secondly, the club will in no way be complacent on this matter. Im sure Gus has been working towards retaining Burton since the day he walked in the door. Theres no way he will let the best player at the club he has been entrusted to rebuild leave! It just wont happen!

Froggo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I just watched the Burton Interview

"I am enjoying my time here" appears positive, but the phrase 'my time here' tells me that he treats it like a likely temporary phase and is yet to deeply connect to the Club as his spiritual home. This is very normal given he has only been here 2 years and it has been loss after loss and drama after drama while his value shoots up way above his payments.

"The club {this and that} - he talks like the Club is separate to him. He does not say, our Club ever. Once again, he is happy to be a Bulldogs player for the term of contract - but he is very comfortable leaving if the $$ is not right - which is also perfectly reasonable.

I am not having a go at Burton for his language and exposing his position. I am flagging that the Club needs to put itself on notice that there is a lot of work to be done to make Burton feel and want to belong to the Bulldogs for the next 10 years+. This should be the goal and our salary cap and his talent should make a 10 year contract happen. I would even be talking about a contract after footy to promote the Club and train the younger players coming through on good money too.

This may well be the most important signing we will make in the past 20 years and the next 10.
His only been here since January not 2 years

billy beane

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton is top 3 dryest in interviews in rugby league history, he just says whatever to get it over with. Wouldn’t read too much into it
Yep, a shy country kid from good stock it appears.

I'm not the SLIGHTEST bit worried about him re-signing.

As if Gus is going to let him go at this stage of our rebuild.

Reaction score
Burton knows that we are on the improve and if he leads that he will become club legend and one of the highest paid players in the game. We will upgrade him next year and offer him good money 800k approx hopefully line-up a juicy TPA too. Where is fkn Laundy?
From memory Laundy helped get him to the club, meeting with his family in Dubbo. Don’t know if he’ll be too interested helping this time around

jordansaba

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we just keep talking about the same thing over and over again, until we hear any serious news just let it sort itself out

Nate DAWG

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From memory Laundy helped get him to the club, meeting with his family in Dubbo. Don’t know if he’ll be too interested helping this time around
I remember that. TBH, I'm not sure if that really happened ot it was just spin. Burton signed because of Baz and a starting half spot. Lsundy is a sponsor with no personal investment in us winning or losing. Not even a supporter. Laundys sponsorship is just business.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Mods can we get a consolidated Bomber thread?

We love him but just dont want to read shitty threads based on shitty scum bags talking shit in the media.

Last edited:

Mackdoggies

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Here’s an idea…if you have already signed and been told not to talk about it, the best way to answer is deflection. “That’s why I have a manager, he will sort that out”. Very rehearsed response if you ask me.

Gould has this under control so much that he is 5 steps ahead of the media. Name one thing he has got wrong so far?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Here’s an idea…if you have already signed and been told not to talk about it, the best way to answer is deflection. “That’s why I have a manager, he will sort that out”. Very rehearsed response if you ask me.

Gould has this under control so much that he is 5 steps ahead of the media. Name one thing he has got wrong so far?
My bet is it will be announced either pre or post Origin 3.