News Matt burton comments on future

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton was the Bulldogs’ best in a 36-22 loss to Wests Tigers on Friday night, despite being hit heavily by illness during the week, while Flanagan mostly held his own under a barrage of first-half defensive work.

Even before Barrett’s exit on Monday, Burton had been expected to test the market on November 1, given he has a 2024 option in his favour and is playing well beyond the $500,000 a season Canterbury outlaid when his NRL credentials were still unproven in late 2020.

Kyle Flanagan’s role as Canterbury conductor has been under scrutiny almost from the moment he arrived at Belmore.
Kyle Flanagan’s role as Canterbury conductor has been under scrutiny almost from the moment he arrived at Belmore.CREDIT:GETTY
Asked if the departure of Barrett – who was the Bulldogs’ best selling-point when luring him from Penrith – changed his own long-term thinking, Burton said: “I’m still here and focused on what’s best for this team. I’ll leave it at that.”

The 22-year-old politely declined to go into his conversation with Barrett after he left Belmore, but conceded the saga had taken a toll on him.

Blueandwhiteblood1968

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Burton was the Bulldogs’ best in a 36-22 loss to Wests Tigers on Friday night, despite being hit heavily by illness during the week, while Flanagan mostly held his own under a barrage of first-half defensive work.

Even before Barrett’s exit on Monday, Burton had been expected to test the market on November 1, given he has a 2024 option in his favour and is playing well beyond the $500,000 a season Canterbury outlaid when his NRL credentials were still unproven in late 2020.

Kyle Flanagan’s role as Canterbury conductor has been under scrutiny almost from the moment he arrived at Belmore.
Kyle Flanagan’s role as Canterbury conductor has been under scrutiny almost from the moment he arrived at Belmore.CREDIT:GETTY
Asked if the departure of Barrett – who was the Bulldogs’ best selling-point when luring him from Penrith – changed his own long-term thinking, Burton said: “I’m still here and focused on what’s best for this team. I’ll leave it at that.”

The 22-year-old politely declined to go into his conversation with Barrett after he left Belmore, but conceded the saga had taken a toll on him.
Sounds as though he might be going.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Next coach will be a very telling story to his story. But In saying that who’s gona sign him that he can go to who will be better in 2-3 years? We won’t be at the bottom for much longer

Burgler

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
We really need to either offer a fair extension and get him to sign it now or release him and free up the money for 23, someone may become available and better to have the money than miss out and lose Burton anyway. Don't want players at the club who don't want to be here

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’d be pretty guttered if this kid leaves. More so than any other player that we have signed.

He’s young, he’s got a lot of talent, we can build our team around him with a 7. He’s our future and we should do everything we can to keep him.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I know everyone will overreact to those comments but I wouldn't read anything into it... It could have been taken out of context which is why he said he's "still" here.. Likely when responding to a question about Barrett leaving.. And didn't want to go further into his contract situation with the journo..

Malla

Reaction score
There is no way Gus let’s him go. He’ll be here for years to come. Squad will improve immensely next year with Mahoney and Kikau. Only get better as he also starts to play better more consistent footy.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounds to me like he's a long way from deciding his future and a bit pissed off that during his last season at Penrith and potentially for the rest of his time here he's going to have the turds in the media shoving cameras in his face in hopes of getting the scoop on his next move.

Malla

Reaction score
I know everyone will overreact to those comments but I wouldn't read anything into it. It could have been taken out of context which is why he said he's still here.. As in after Barrett left.. And didn't want to go into his contract situation.
Exactly

AlzzBulldog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
There is no way Gus let’s him go. He’ll be here for years to come. Squad will improve immensely next year with Mahoney and Kikau. Only get better as he also starts to play better more consistent footy.
I can just see that burton is going to be a star player for years to come..

Malla

Reaction score
Sounds to me like he's a long way from deciding his future and a bit pissed off that during his last season at Penrith and potentially for the rest of his time here he's going to have the turds in the media shoving cameras in his face in hopes of getting the scoop on his next move.
Media are getting worse and worse mate especially their approach to kids. Burton is actually quite good, pretty mature for his age and looks like he has some good people around him that keep him grounded but fuck me they really have a go at some younger kids I can see why a lot of them fail early