News Matt Burton, Brandon Smith on Bulldogs radar as Trent Barrett overhauls squad

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
A roster overhaul is in full swing at Canterbury and will allow the struggling club to go after some of the game’s brightest prospects including Melbourne's Brandon Smith and Penrith’s Matt Burton.
After a clean-out of its coaching ranks, the Bulldogs have told eight players told they would not be required in season 2021.

Incoming coach Trent Barrett has been busy rebuilding the Bulldogs’ top 30 roster ahead of his arrival at Belmore in November.

On Tuesday, the club confirmed that eight players including Aiden Tolman, Kieran Foran and local junior Marcelo Montoya are not part of Barrett’s plans next season.

On Monday, The Daily Telegraph revealed Barrett had already told Tolman, who has played 221 games over 10 seasons for the Bulldogs, he was not required beyond 2020.

Tolman responded with a standout performance against South Sydney last weekend where he topped the tackle count and made 230 run metres.

Big money recruit Foran could not agree to terms with the Bulldogs on an extension deal and will be looking for a new home in season 2021.

The injury prone halfback only managed 40 games in three seasons.

Saturday’s clash against minor premier’s Penrith will not only serve as a chance for the proud club to avoid the wooden spoon and an audition in front of Barrett but it will also be the last game in Canterbury colours for Tolman, Tim Lafai and Jesse Sue.

Also moving on is playmaker Jack Cogger, who struggled to cement a place in the halves after joining the club in 2019.

Bulldogs players unwanted in season 2021
Aiden Tolman
Kieran Foran
Marcelo Montoya
Kerrod Holland (retired)
Jack Cogger
Jesse Sue
Tim Lafai
Isaiah Tass
Centre Kerrod Holland announced his retirement earlier this month and the club won’t be re-signing Norths Devils Mackay junior Isaiah Tass.

Canterbury CEO Andrew Hill said the players would always be part of the Bulldogs ‘family’.

“These decisions are never easy and it is important that we acknowledge each individual person for what they brought to the club and for giving their all while they were here,” Hill said.

The roster overhaul opens the door for the club to target the likes of boom playmaker Burton and robust hooker Smith. It’s also understood discreet inquires have been made about Harry Grant, Charlie Staines and Panthers breakout star Stephen Crichton.

The Daily Telegraph understands Smith is a top priority target for the club – which has not been able to secure an elite hooker since Michael Ennis departed at the end of 2014.

The player movements come after the Bulldogs announced a clean-out of its coaching ranks with head coach Barrett seeking to assemble his own staff.

Interim coach Steve Georgallis was also let go as part of the stages.

Newcastle’s David Furner and Cronulla’s Craig Sandercock will join Barrett as his assistant coaches. Former Tigers coach Mick Potter has been installed as Mounties head coach and North Queensland’s David Tangata-Toa has been added as a transition coach.

Bulldogs coaching staff for 2021
Head coach: Trent Barrett
Assistant coach: David Furner
Assistant coach: Craig Sandercock
Transition coach: David Tangata-Toa
Mounties head coach: Mick Potter

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Grant and Chricton no chance
Staines and Burton should be in the bag
Smith worries me because if GC are after him, I think they'll get him.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
We simply have to get something out of the Storm hooker situation or it’s going to be a problem area for a very long time to come. In saying that I’m not holding out much hope. JMK and Katoa just aren’t good enough to be a starting hooker at NRL level.

I wouldn’t care if we over paid massively and had to release players and pick up the freight to get it done.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Warriors looking absolutely stacked for expensive forwards next yr... Maybe worth looking at Ah Mau or Paasi, they go alright.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I won't get my hopes up as this seems like the media just linking us with big names to generate a story and get clicks.

But if we signed some of those players mentioned, then they'd be brilliant signings which would set us up for years to come.

Baseball Furies

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
So 8 players gone and we have signed Cotric and Waddell, is the squad number changing at all for 2021?

6 more to go...

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Very positive, many positives...

TBAZ seems to be taking it in his stride and running with what he wants. Very proactive already.. and we haven’t had that in many years..

Had the balls to do a much needed clean out, on the prowl for quality players, and even before he even gets here, he’s no longer a manly or Penrith boy.. he’s going to take this club an make it his own an successful again... optimistic I am.!!!

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So 8 players gone and we have signed Cotric and Waddell, is the squad number changing at all for 2021?

6 more to go...
No its still 30 but there you'd imagine there will be some juniors being upgraded so there may only be 2-3 signings
Also, apparently Smith and DWZ are being shopped around so there could be more going
It's all good stuff so far

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We simply have to get something out of the Storm hooker situation or it’s going to be a problem area for a very long time to come. In saying that I’m not holding out much hope. JMK and Katoa just aren’t good enough to be a starting hooker at NRL level.

I wouldn’t care if we over paid massively and had to release players and pick up the freight to get it done.
Bulldog fans: We need to sign one of the storm hookers

Lynne: We have a storm hooker at home

Storm hooker at home:

Family Guy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Crichton hasn’t signed a contract by Nov 1st he’s fair game, hopefully Barrett has the balls to sign him.
I thought I read somewhere that he had agreed to a new $500K deal. The question is why would Chricton leave when he is a starting player in a top team? He would be awesome but I dont think it'll happen

Burton and Staines on the other hand cant get a run so we're a chance