Mateo: Sorry Tonga But It’s My Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAI

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
By STEVE MASCORD

WARRIORS star Feleti Mateo has apologised to Tonga before tabling an impassioned defence of his decision to make himself eligible for NSW and Australia.

With all the focus on James Tamou this week, the selection of the Tongan captain for City has slipped under the radar. Mateo, 26, was granted special dispensation to represent Sydney against Country in 2008 and still turn out for Tonga in the World Cup later that year.

But the Auburn-born Mateo has now committed himself completely to Australia.

“I guess I just felt like I deserve it,” Mateo tells Rugby League Week.

“It was a hard decision to not play for Tonga – especially in the World Cup – but I feel like this is my time and I have to take it while it’s there.”

Mateo would have soon qualified for New Zealand on residency grounds, saying: “It was always an option but I never thought about it. It was Australia or Tonga. Being born in Australia, growing up there, watching Origin, I wanted to play it. That’s what I wanted to do.

“Probably in the past I wasn’t of that calibre to play it, just going on last year.

“This year, with my form, I thought it was probably time to change my allegiance and try and put my best foot forward and try and make it. Last year, at this point in the season, we’d lost three in a row to start the year and I probably wasn’t playing very good either.

“Since then, I’ve worked hard and hopefully I can play good again on Sunday and put my hand up for Origin.”

Tonga believes he should be allowed to return to the Tongan side if he misses out on Australian selection for the 2013 World Cup.

“I can’t (go back) – for now. If things happen and I don’t get a look-in for Australia and Origin, I’ll be asking if there’s something that can allow me to go back to Tonga.

“I think I’ve opened the door for a lot of boys who don’t get picked for their first choice country. The fans want to see the best players play and come World Cup time, the only way to make it as big as it can be is to have the best players playing.

“I spoke to the coach Charlie Tonga and told him wherever I can help, I’ll always put my hand up for Tonga. They’ve done a lot for me over the years and every time I put on the jersey it was one of my proudest moments. I’ll be there rooting for the boys come World Cup.”

Filed for: RUGBY LEAGUE WEEK

http://stevemascord.com/2012/04/24/mateo-sorry-tonga-but-its-my-time/

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You don't deserve it. Sorry!
Hey Smack, that picture of the female midget looks like Nate Miles with Tits in a set of shades, not sure if it was Mateo or not then if it wasn't I will apologise but during the national Anthems prior to the game against the storm he or whoever he was stood there with his legs crossed looking like a school Boy almost wetting himself wanting to take a leak and trying to balance on one leg
If he wasn't then his old man or one of the military Guy's should have waked up behind him and rammed a# 10 boot up his A*s and tell him to show some respect and stand to attention like all his other Warrior team mates were.
What a disrespectful slob whoever in was!!!

CB1935

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I have 2 gripes with these decisions:

1. "I commit myself completely to Australia". Then "If I don't make it, I will ask if I can go back to play for Tonga". Two sentences don't compliment each other. They reek of hypocrisy! Mateo pick a country and stick to that decision, through good times and bad! Anytime you don't make it - you wanna switch back?? Why don't you commit to your decision and work your butt off rather than taking the easy way out and switching allegiances to wherever you can get the easy way in! Turncoat!

2. You should commit to playing for Australia, because you want to represent them. Because you feel it in your bones to be a proud Australian and everything it represents. These switches are done to play Origin! FFS Tamou even said it after the Test match, that he did it for Origin. Am I the only one that shakes my head thinking WTF?

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
I feel for him tbh

Origin football has NOTHING to do with Country allegiances !!!!!

Think of it this way, All Stars V Aboriginals is Origin teammates putting their love of state aside to embrace their heritage... proof that Origin football has NOTHING to do with allegiances to your heritage

New Zealand or Tonga or Samoan players, can still have a love of state while embracing their hertiage at International level IMHO

Raysie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
New Zealand or Tonga or Samoan players, can still have a love of state while embracing their hertiage at International level IMHO
I agree. Although there'd realistically only be a small amount of players in that pool that really would have any sort of "passion" for the state they'd play for.

The rest however would just make it as messy as our current situation. Most will just choose to play for the state that picks them in the end.

MP4 - Eedz

C.O.T.B
Reaction score
I agree. Although there'd realistically only be a small amount of players in that pool that really would have any sort of "passion" for the state they'd play for.

The rest however would just make it as messy as our current situation. Most will just choose to play for the state that picks them in the end.
tbh I don't really see how we can make that call ...

I mean half the NSW team holidays in Queensland and half the Queensland teams lives/lived in Sydney at some point !!

It's more a spectacle for the fans to love/hate rather than the players

Status
Not open for further replies.