Status
Not open for further replies.

The Bandit

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Mason's threat angers Origin great

By Dean Ritchie
March 26, 2007

THE player who helped pioneer State of Origin last night slammed Willie Mason's plan for a player strike during this year's interstate series in protest at NRL salary cap restrictions.

And Rugby League Players Association chief executive Matthew Rodwell claimed to be "disappointed" that Mason slammed the game's union as "weak and does nothing for the players".

In a newspaper column, Mason called on the NRL to increase the salary cap to prevent more players switching to rugby union.

"It's time for the players to make a stand about the salary cap, and if that means going on strike, well I'm in," Mason wrote.

"And to really make a point, I vote we strike during the State of Origin series. A strike wouldn't be good for the game and I stress it's a last resort. But to do it when it would hurt the game most - during Origin - is the only way the players can be heard."

But threatening strike action to hurt Origin angered Tom Raudonikis, NSW's first Origin captain.

"Who does Willie Mason think he is?" Raudonikis said.

"State of Origin is our masterpiece. Guys like Wally Lewis, 'Alfie' Langer and Ricky Stuart helped build Origin to what it is today.

"It seems all the players want these days is more money. It all comes down to greed - they're all big heads. What about the fans, what about the game? What Willie said was disgraceful. Shocking. He should put a sock in it."

But Mason's Blues teammate Matt King said players had discussed a strike since last season.

"We've spoken about strike action for a while so for Mason to come out and say something, it might just wake the NRL up," King said, admitting there'd be a public backlash.

"It would hurt (the game). I would imagine there'd be a lot of fan hate towards players but something needs to be done."

Storm prop Brett White said: "If Willie wants to strike let him. I'll play (Origin). What happened to playing for fun or the love of the game?"

Mason also criticised the RLPA for taking money from the NRL.

"The (RLPA), our players union, is weak and does nothing for the players," Mason wrote.

Rodwell said Mason should work with him to form a strong union.

"I'd by lying if I said I wasn't disappointed with his attack on the Players Association," Rodwell said.

I'd be happy to sit down with Willie. I rang him this morning and left a message on his mobile. One of my goals to make the PA stronger is that the players buy into it.

"We have done a lot of hard work and good work to encourage the players to support the PA. (Mason's comments) were unnecessary.

"We welcome players voicing their opinions but it would be nice to see the RLPA have the support of the players."

"The RLPA does a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff that may not be visible," Rodwell added.

The NRL signed off last year on a deal with the RLPA, allowing for a salary cap increase to $4million.

NoFear-We'reBULLDOGS

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Here we go again. Willie Mason - league's ultimate bad boy. I don't agree with a strike but the issues need addressing. Willie was after a reaction, he's sure gonna get one.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think his comments may have taken him out of origin contention anyway. It's interesting to note that the players have already spoken about going on strike though. And i tend to agree with Raudonikis. I'm sure that the guys who helped to make the game the spectacle it is today would love to have been paid enough that they didn't have to work around their footballing commitments. I think the Bulldogs will have Mason on a media ban pretty soon.

AC

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
origin is a big money making machine for the NRL - so if players want to get serious about this its only right to hit the place itl hurt the NRL most... The Nrl doesnt give two ****s about supporters - they only care for $$$

=Sarah=

Long live MJ
Reaction score
awww boo-hoo!!!!

go wille, go to town boy! :love:

'G'

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Although I agree with Mason on most things I think he needs to keep his opinions to himself. Mason, you're a great footballer, just stick to your job and play footy.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
Thats what u all say its not always right to speak ya mind he needs to learn to keep his mouth shut im sick of him thinking hes mr nrl.
Gasnier and Matty Johns said they would support it. Will you say the same if Lockyer joins in???

T

tallis12

Maybe gordon tallis will support it then watch ya gonna say?
Knowin gordie he prob will support it but it dosent mean i will im my own person unlike alot of people and g obviously knows what he/she is talkin about his mouth is disgusting some times and nobody can deny that.

expatwarrior

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Say if they did strike, the NRL might still go ahead and fill the gaps with scabs.

Bakes

The REAL Bakes
Reaction score
I support him. I am absolutely sick and tired of hearing that all these gun players are going to play union. It is a crap game and they are going purely for the money.
I bet Tallis12will feel differentlt if Hodges, Hunt and Lockyer go off to play yawnion.

Bry

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The NRL rakes in millions from origin, the players get **** all of that. If it wasnt for the elite players playing Origin, no one would watch= no big money boost for the NRL. The elite players should be payed more IF they want to stop them from switching to Union.

T

tallis12

I support him. I am absolutely sick and tired of hearing that all these gun players are going to play union. It is a crap game and they are going purely for the money.
I bet Tallis12will feel differentlt if Hodges, Hunt and Lockyer go off to play yawnion.
Yeh but lockyer hodges and hunt wont go to union because they are LOYAL to their club ive heard hodges is signing a new contract pretty soon.:grinning:

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think his comments may have taken him out of origin contention anyway. It's interesting to note that the players have already spoken about going on strike though. And i tend to agree with Raudonikis. I'm sure that the guys who helped to make the game the spectacle it is today would love to have been paid enough that they didn't have to work around their footballing commitments. I think the Bulldogs will have Mason on a media ban pretty soon.
Must be kidding! He is the first forward picked regardless of these comments!

Let him speak! He is a character in the game. All sports need characters. If all players just sat back & said nothing the game would not be in half as good a shape as its in.

Status
Not open for further replies.