Marquee Player 2022?

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realistically, you can only have two at the outside three marquee players given they’ll be on marquee money. Gus isn’t gonna make a desperate signing on marquee money for ‘22 simply because there’s none available.

My tip is the players he’s got his eyes on to be on marquee money for ‘23 are Burton and Latrell (if he can pry him out for ‘23, if not. ‘24). And if we can afford it, an as yet unidentified #7 for ‘23 or ‘24, who may be one of our own if they step up.

Remember Gus has said most important positions 1, 6 & 7. That’s where he’ll spend the big money. He won’t spend it on 9, he’ll be happy with a tradie who gets the job done.

Which is why there’s won’t be any Cheese.
spot on - else we get into a Manly situation with too much money tied up on their 1, 6 and 7

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Their 6 on very little.
really? reports at the time suggested we offered $300-400k for 1 year, he went to take a 2 year deal at Manly instead, then got extended by another 2 years until 2023 - surely he wouldn't have taken anything far less to go to Manly.

bradyk

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
2 x NF H2H Champ
NF Top Scorer
Reaction score
really? reports at the time suggested we offered $300-400k for 1 year, he went to take a 2 year deal at Manly instead, then got extended by another 2 years until 2023 - surely he wouldn't have taken anything far less to go to Manly.
When you say too much spent on 1, 6 and 7, their 6 isn't on anything compared to their 1 and 7 (a 6 on "300-400k" with Foran's output is good). They have Foran on good value. You want most of your salary cap spent on the spine anyways.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
A proven quality 7 would not go astray.!!

King Gus

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Has everyone given up on Averillo and burton in the halves?
Cause I think hooker is the most important position we need now.

Isaac

Kennel Established
Reaction score
We dont need a 7. Kyle Flannagan will improve at 7. Averillo needs to go back to centre.
Burton and Flannagan will do well together. Better forward pack and better backline will help kyle improve. We need to be patient, alot of the issues were from discipline and errors. Will give kyle every chance until round 4 to get a clear indication if his time is up. I honestly think a marquee hooker is what we need.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We dont need a 7. Kyle Flannagan will improve at 7. Averillo needs to go back to centre.
Burton and Flannagan will do well together. Better forward pack and better backline will help kyle improve. We need to be patient, alot of the issues were from discipline and errors. Will give kyle every chance until round 4 to get a clear indication if his time is up. I honestly think a marquee hooker is what we need.
Kyle is fucking shit

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Realistically, you can only have two at the outside three marquee players given they’ll be on marquee money. Gus isn’t gonna make a desperate signing on marquee money for ‘22 simply because there’s none available.

My tip is the players he’s got his eyes on to be on marquee money for ‘23 are Burton and Latrell (if he can pry him out for ‘23, if not. ‘24). And if we can afford it, an as yet unidentified #7 for ‘23 or ‘24, who may be one of our own if they step up.

Remember Gus has said most important positions 1, 6 & 7. That’s where he’ll spend the big money. He won’t spend it on 9, he’ll be happy with a tradie who gets the job done.

Which is why there’s won’t be any Cheese.
If no cheese, then no hamburger you can be sure of that.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Foran went to Manly on a 2 year deal, the second year was a club option which has been taken up. As far as I am aware, he is only there until 2022 at this stage.

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Freeing up 500k doesn't put us in the market for a marquee player, would get us about half of a marquee player

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Freeing up 500k doesn't put us in the market for a marquee player, would get us about half of a marquee player
Plus whatever we have kept for the 30th player, which could be as much as 5% of the Cap, being $480k or so. Call it $950k all up.

Always a Bulldog

D0GMATIC

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Plus whatever we have kept for the 30th player, which could be as much as 5% of the Cap, being $480k or so. Call it $950k all up.

Always a Bulldog
Fair point, Although we would still need 130k for the 30th player.

Jay76

Waterboy
Reaction score
You must be short on patience. If anything can be inferred from team selections late this season, Kyle won’t be in the starting 17. Don’t be surprised if Jacko gets a run at 7. Showed some deft touches and sleight of hand in the link man role late in the season.

Waldo

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Honestly play wakeham at 7 and Avo at fullback
Flanagan can’t take on the line at all got a massive phobia of it. Wakeham has shown potential and Freddy has taken a liking to him so Wakeham 7. Averillo 1. Playing a link type roll as what Meaney did very similar the way they both played in the last game of the season.

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you say too much spent on 1, 6 and 7, their 6 isn't on anything compared to their 1 and 7 (a 6 on "300-400k" with Foran's output is good). They have Foran on good value. You want most of your salary cap spent on the spine anyways.
i don't think any other's teams 1 and 7 have the amount of money tied up as much as Manly do (TT on 1.1M, DCE must be close). 13 at 900k - 1M. That's around 30% of their cap spent on 3 players. But with Des in control of the books, it makes sense

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Foran went to Manly on a 2 year deal, the second year was a club option which has been taken up. As far as I am aware, he is only there until 2022 at this stage.

you're probably right; i relied on this article which says it takes him to end of 2023: