Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score

The manager of teenage star Jamal Idris has launched a scathing attack on the system that led to the Bulldogs centre being stood down from playing by the club after he was involved in a physical altercation with a teammate during a night out.

The Bulldogs yesterday announced Idris, who on Tuesday was named in first grade for the game against Cronulla at ANZ Stadium on Sunday, was being stood down from that match. That followed a meeting involving Idris, his manager - Sam Ayoub - and the club's disciplinary committee on Tuesday.

The other players who were out with Idris on Saturday night, Ben Barba and Lee Ta Maari, had not been selected in first grade and have been stood down from lower-grade football - Barba for one week and Te Maari, who had been guilty of previous breaches of the club's code of conduct, for two weeks.

Idris is understood to have retaliated and left Barba with a bleeding nose after Barba shoved him. The incident apparently began with Barba shoving Te Maari, and Idris trying to separate them, and came at a time when there had been a series of tough reactions by clubs and the NRL to players being involved in alcohol-related incidents.

Bulldogs chief executive Todd Greenberg said the club wanted to make clear what it expected from the players in terms of behaviour, adding: "I hope this punishment will serve as a warning to them on what they stand to lose if they continue down the wrong path."

But Ayoub was adamant the punishment far outweighed the crime. "Three boys went out for a drink together, someone said something that someone else took offence to and there was a bit of push and shove," Ayoub said yesterday. "There's no issue between them now, so what's the big deal?

"The reason it's become an issue is because we're living in this crazy world where everybody wants to dramatise and exaggerate and make mountains out of molehills, because people believe we have to be seen to be reacting this way.

"We've got 18-year-olds having to try to act like 35-year-olds and being told they are role models even though they have been given no training or explanation of what that means. It's too ridiculous for words.

"I'm not being critical of the club, because they are only reacting to the pressure they are under, but this sort of response will create distrust between the players and their clubs. The clubs used to discipline the players and it would only be a slap on the wrist if what happened wasn't that big a deal - and this wasn't.

"I sat in that meeting and Jamal was told it isn't a good look to be seen in public like that, but that it wasn't a hanging offence. But he has been hung out to dry. It didn't warrant him being dropped when they named the team before the meeting, so how does the same incident warrant him being dropped now?

"Jamal understands that the club has to act and that the club has to be seen to be dishing out punishment, but he isn't happy about it. You can't tell me you haven't had run-ins like that a hundred times with your mates, the same as I have with mine.

"I've got no problem with the club. They always act promptly and fairly, but I believe that what they dished out in this case was a result of them feeling undue pressure in the current climate."

Meanwhile, the Bulldogs yesterday forwarded their submission to the NRL in reaction to the penalty of the loss of two competition points for temporarily fielding a 14th man against Penrith last Saturday week. The Bulldogs won the game with a late try, but had the extra player on the field at the time. The submission will be considered today.

Captain Kickass

Dirtbag Lifecoach
Reaction score
Sam Ayoub - The only one who cares is you !

A classic DT beat-up !

Chicharito

DOGGIES ARMY!!!
Reaction score
whats happend has happend...lets just move on seriously

xeno

xXxeno
Reaction score
To be honest Jamal defended himself, i thought it was unfair

Hasoon

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No lets not move on, Wtf was he meant to do, he was put into a situation he had to overcome this situation. He got hit, he hits back. Self defence. Was he supposed to cop it and run away screaming?

DOGGYDOGG

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Sam Ayoub is 100% spot on. The club has over reacted to the article sensationalising the incident. Does Josh Massoud run our club???

What a f*cken joke. Greenberg is a cat.

Players Greenberg has pissed off.

SBW (unforgivable)
Idris

Hasoon

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sam Ayoub is 100% spot on. The club has over reacted to the article sensationalising the incident. Does Josh Massoud run our club???

What a f*cken joke. Greenberg is a cat.

Players Greenberg has pissed off.

SBW (unforgivable)
Idris
Ive never liked him. He is taking the good boy image too far.

DJ1

Ninjadillo
Reaction score
I think it's an awesome stance by Greenberg.

rexest

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Idris defended himself as would anyone else i dunno why the hell he was dropped, Stupid move by the club, His done nothing treat him unfairly and he will end up at the roosters.

Hasoon

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think it's an awesome stance by Greenberg.
Ur at work, and a co worker comes and punches u in the face. What do u do? Hit him back or ignore him?

and if u hit him back would u get pissed off that u got sacked.

jimmy_the_greek

Bulldogs Fanatic
Reaction score
don't think it was the right move to drop him, we are a team and by dropping him its decreasing our chances of winning on Sunday..Hasoon summed it up fairly well in his last post.

(((((SMACK)))))

Jados Boutros
Reaction score
Remember this people. Ayoub will use this down the track next year when he tries to get Jamal out into the open market and make some money!

Bull4life

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
If Sam Ayoub is not happy with the decision he should have discussed it with the club and left it behind doors. Is he trying to be a hero by bringing it out in public, to lift his profile, "look at me, I really look after my clients". We know you do just keep it out of the limelight. All this will do is give Idris a big head because he is in the papers again. This may also cause some unneeded friction between Idris and Greenberg and/or the Moore. He has got punished for not what he has done but because of the environment League is in at this moment and we have Stewart as the catalyst of that.

Costaki10

Bulldogs Army
Reaction score
idris should have not gotton dropped. he was just defending himself. but sam ayoub doesn't need to act like a 10 year old kid and come out and say what he said. could have easily been said behind closed doors

StingrayCharles

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Political Correctness gone mad - having a drink and a puch and shove is now 1/4 as bad as being charged with sexual assault...

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ayoub makes some decent points about other overreactions and the state of the game but at the same time he is the scum of the earth, a typical player manager and is only grandstanding and carrying on about something that he can't change to get more attention for himself and to try and get himself more clients.

He has no idea. He says we always act fairly and properly, but wasn't he the one just a few months ago that was carrying on about how "poorly" and "unfairly" Maitua was treated?

Anyway, what's done is done, they only got a week and probably deserved it.

matthew

Kennel Established
Reaction score
now look what we have got in the centres this weekend against cronulla the old caravan (MILLARD) i hope his wheels are oiled up cause i dont want him to put to much weight on young Josh Morris minor having to tow him.Idris should not have been suspended maybe a small fine being his first offense.What would have Greenberg done if Idris punched a sponsor in the head like watmough did. and he only got a $10000 dollar fine and no suspension and he has previous **** like assaulting a girlfriend.I dont think the public would of looked badly on the bulldogs if idris copped a small fine and was allowed to play.Especially since it was a small fight between team mates not anyone from the public let alone a sponsor.

Doggy Dog World

Waterboy
Reaction score
Todd is doing a great job.
Let these kids learn from their mistakes. The club is more important than the player, and if they are to jeapordise our chances of sponsorship by acting like idiots, then fine them, teach them a lesson and lets get back to working on claiming the Premiership.
Enough of all this BS, we have had a good start to the season in the face of all this adversity, so lets not screw it up.

Duffman25

Grimaldi's no.1 fan
Reaction score
Todd is doing a great job, but lets hope the players aren't alienated by over harsh penalties.

Ayoub made good points, but its going to be made out like he was ripping on the dogs (which he was indirectly i guess) and thats not a good look for the club or idris. A fine would have sufficed it doesn't sound like it was that bad.

Gordon was on the bench i guess he's made the move to 2nd rower totally now. Millard better seize his chance, i cant see him holding idris out of the side.

Lets hope idris and barba learn from this and move on and dont feel bitter or betrayed

Status
Not open for further replies.