Malaysia Airlines jet 'shot down'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rottie

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Malaysia Airlines jet 'shot down'

July 18, 2014: Amateur vision has surfaced of the final moments of Malaysian Airlines flight MH17, which crashed in Ukraine this morning.

ninemsn

A Malaysian Airlines plane carrying 295 people, including 27 Australians, has crashed in rebel-held eastern Ukraine, with reports saying the jet was shot down at altitude.
The Boeing 777 was flying from Amsterdam to Kuala Lumpur when it disappeared from radar and came down near Torez in the region of Donetsk.
A Dutch aviation official said 27 Australians were on the doomed flight after footage allegedly shot near the site of the downed aircraft showed a man holding passports collected at the scene, including what appeared to be an Australian passport.

July 18, 2014: An Australian passport has apparently been found in the plane wreck of Malaysian Airline MH17 which was allegedly shot down while carrying 295 passengers.
In a statement, the Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade said it has "grave concerns that a number of Australians were on board the flight".
DFAT has established a 24 hour hotline for those who are unable to make contact with family members: 1300 555 135.
The Malaysian Airlines flight appears to have been shot down by a surface-to-air missile called a BUK, a relic from the Soviet era, Britain's Telegraph reports.

People walk amongst the debris at the crash site of a passenger plane near the village of Grabovo, Ukraine, Thursday, July 17, 2014. (AAP)
READ MORE: Australian passport apparently among those found at MH17 crash site
READ MORE: Rebel sites suggest insurgents shot down plane by mistake
READ MORE: Here's the missile that reportedly brought down MH17

People walk amongst the debris at the crash site of a passenger plane near the village of Grabovo, Ukraine, Thursday, July 17, 2014. (AAP)
Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko accused pro-Russian insurgents of shooting down the jet and described it as a "terrorist act".
"Poroshenko on the downed plane: this incident is not a catastrophe. It is a terrorist act," Svyatoslav Tsegolko posted on his official Twitter account.
All 280 passengers and 15 crew members on board the plane are believed to have died.

A BUK mark 1 surface to air launcher.
A social media site attributed to a top Ukrainian rebel commander said the insurgents had shot down an army transporter at the location where a Malaysia Airlines plane crashed near the Russian border.
The comments by the top military commander of the self-proclaimed "Donetsk People's Republic" suggest the separatists shot down the Malaysia Airlines plane by mistake, believing it was a large Ukrainian army transport plane.
"We just downed an An-26 near Torez. It is down near the Progress mine," said the VK page attributed to Igor Strelkov, which is frequently quoted by Ukrainian media.
The rebels shot down another An-26 in rebel-held eastern Ukraine on June 14, killing 49 government servicemen.
The website did not identify the weapon used to down the plane, which Ukrainian officials said had been flying at an altitude of about 10,000m.
But a post on the official Twitter account of the "Donetsk People's Republic" -- later removed -- claimed that the separatists earlier Thursday had seized a missile system called Buk from the Ukrainian army capable of downing a jet at that altitude.
The BUK missile is a medium-range surface-to-air missile developed by the Soviet Union which is designed to be flexible and fast to set up and fire.
The battery of missiles can be mounted on a vehicle and ready to fire within five minutes of arriving in a location, making it incredibly mobile and hard to track. The weapons system’s Russian maker, Almaz-Altey, claims the missile can hit targets up to an altitude of 25 kilometres.
Anton Gerashenko, an advisor to Ukraine’s interior minister, said on his Facebook page that a BUK missile struck the plane at an altitude of 10,000m.
This has yet to be officially confirmed.
Poroshenko expressed his "deepest and sincerest sympathies for the families and loved ones of those killed" and vowed that "those behind this tragedy will be brought to justice."
The plane crashed in a region where pro-Russian rebels have been engaging Ukrainian army forces in recent weeks, even reportedly shooting down some Ukrainian air force planes.
Malaysian Airlines confirmed that it had "lost contact" with one its planes in Ukrainian airspace.
Horrifying images have emerged on social media showing dozens of severely mutilated corpses strewn in the plane wreckage.
Debris was spread out for kilometres and the tail of the passenger jet lay in a corn field with the Malaysian Airlines insignia on it. Rebel fighters and several fire trucks were seen nearby the crash site.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Quite shocking. They've already started claiming it was terrorists which should give Russia enough reason to invade another country. This could get very ugly. With all the recent incidents I don't expect Malaysian Airlines to stay in business much longer.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The world should come together and fcuk these ***** up

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
time to call an airstrike on this scum.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The ultimately sad thing is these innocent people wouldn't have had any idea that they'd be flying direct over Ukraine.

One minute they're in the air doing the normal thing, and the next minute bang they're all gone in a quick moment. All I can hope is that it was quick and painless for those on-board.

Whoever is responsible for this must pay in the worst way possible in my opinion.

The.X.Factor

Forum Maniac
Reaction score
Theres way too much speculation on this, I think we should reserve judgement until some reliable facts are given.

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Theres way too much speculation on this, I think we should reserve judgement until some reliable facts are given.
The facts are 295 innocent people have died including our own Australians. Thats more than enough for me to pass judgement of these traggic incident.

Sauce Head

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The ultimately sad thing is these innocent people wouldn't have had any idea that they'd be flying direct over Ukraine.

One minute they're in the air doing the normal thing, and the next minute bang they're all gone in a quick moment. All I can hope is that it was quick and painless for those on-board.

Whoever is responsible for this must pay in the worst way possible in my opinion.
It is strange as 30,000 feet is actually considered safe. Apparently that is why planes flew over afghanistan & iraq during those conflicts.
Obviously that is not the case.
It is hard to understand why anyone would shoot down a commercial plane that is not related to anyone invloved in the conflict. It can only bring down the heat directly on you.
Absolute tragedy though. Totally innocent people losing their lives from the action of a person or small group of persons. RIP.

The.X.Factor

Forum Maniac
Reaction score
The facts are 295 innocent people have died including our own Australians. Thats more than enough for me to pass judgement of these traggic incident.
You said:

The world should come together and fcuk these ***** up

But we don't even know who these "*****" are... The only thing thats known is that people are good at point fingers...

I'm reading up on it and still got no idea what's going on
Yeah these days its impossible to find any article that doesn't have an agenda....

Mr Beast

Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
But we don't even know who these "*****" are... The only thing thats known is that people are good at point fingers...
Someone (aka *****) is accountable for this. IMO this isn't some sort of plane falling from the sky aircraft malfunction situation.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

It almost certainly would have been quick and painless. Judging by the debris and the weapon used all crew and passengers would likely have been deceased before they knew what hit them. That's about the only saving grace.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Supposedly this is the man responsible:

http://www.smh.com.au/world/mh17-di...n-the-plane-20140718-zubvy.html#ixzz37mGclL4J

This is how I thought it would go... 1 guy to get blamed for a whole nation's political mistake/disaster.
That's not a good sign at all. The Donetsk People's Republic is backed by Russia. Expect Ukraine to get UN support on this leading to a potential conflict with Russia. If the Russians are smart they'll cut all ties to the DPR, if not it could lead to a full scale war.

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
terrible news to wake up to. compounded by whats going on all over the world :( :( :(

Status
Not open for further replies.