Maitua knew 'something was up'

Status
Not open for further replies.

PantherPower83

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,24093208-23214,00.html

ONE of Sonny Bill Williams' closest friends, Bulldogs lock Reni Maitua, says he knew "something was up" in the days leading up to the Kiwi back-rower's shock mid-season walkout on rugby league.
Maitua said he had not heard from Williams since he fled Australia on Saturday, reportedly to take up a multi-million dollar French rugby union deal.

But he admitted to sensing his good friend and team-mate was troubled in the lead up to his dramatic exit.

"I am one of Sonny's closest mates and he didn't tell us any circumstances or anything like that," Maitua said after the Bulldogs 30-0 loss to the Dragons.

"But I knew sort of something was up.

"I didn't know he was leaving but I just knew something was going on, he wasn't himself for a couple of days there and then it all unfolded.

"He just sort of left and it's really sad to see him go.

"I think it's extremely disappointing but I love him as a mate and I'll always stick by him, as long as he knows that."

Maitua defended Williams against a wave of criticism arising from his departure, believing his team-mate would not have left so suddenly without a good reason.

"I'm sure Sonny would have had reason why he had to leave now, he wouldn't have just walked out," Maitua said.

"I'm not prepared to call him a dog until I know the circumstances.

"I think people making those comments, I think they're just hurt to see him go.

"He's such a good talent, he's such a good player for the NRL.

Maitua said he would stick by Williams, just as he did with now Roosters forward Willie Mason, who controversially left the Bulldogs last season.

"I love the kid," Maitua said of Williams.

"I signed at the club at the same time as him, I'm not prepared to go out and bag him because I'd be a hypocrite.

"I stood by Willie Mason as well. They all have their reasons for why they do things and not everyone agrees with it but life goes on."

BulldogStar

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Maitua also said he didnt agree with the way mason went about what he did but understood the reasons why he did leave..

Reni if Sonny valued your friendship as much as you seem to value his he would have let you know he was leaving HTH

persichang

Waterboy
Reaction score
i like renis attitude, don't speak without thinking......alot of the kennel could use that advice

Moe

Moderatwhore
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
i like renis attitude, don't speak without thinking......alot of the kennel could use that advice
yeh but he is a player. What we say doesnt really matter.

M

Mason's Gay....

Maitua also said he didnt agree with the way mason went about what he did but understood the reasons why he did leave..

Reni if Sonny valued your friendship as much as you seem to value his he would have let you know he was leaving HTH
fair call lol

M

mofo sixx

i think SBW had become completely brain washed by Nassar & Mundane simple as that

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score
reni im not gay, but i love you.

you can go wherever you like when your contract is up

but in my opinion stay a bulldog.

outstanding player.

Goz

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"I'm not prepared to call him a dog until I know the circumstances.
Let me go on the record to say that HE IS A FUKEN DOG

Keefy

The Family Club
Reaction score
Reni is a tosser, sorry but he has messed up to many times off the field to have my respect as a person, I respect his playing ability but not him as a person.....

North Shore Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Last 2 lines from the article

"I signed at the club at the same time as him, I'm not prepared to go out and bag him because I'd be a hypocrite.
Is he thinking of leaving too?????

Why would he mention he would be a hypocrite to bag him?????????

jessicaaah

there's always next year
Reaction score

Because he didnt bag Mason at the time. That's why.

SaMi..

SaMi..
Reaction score

because he wanted to leave the club earlier this year dude ! duh?

Scooby Doo

Waterboy
Reaction score
Not true. I heard that Matuia did know about SBW leaving and will be dealt with accordingly.

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
lets wait 4 the story 2 unravel b4 we start making accusations.

r we allowed to go and watch the court case?? if so i want in lol. sonny has no choice but to speak up now

banjopup

New Pup
Reaction score
Give SBW a break for ****s sake!!!!The guy is 22yo...troubled, disillusioned, and probably sick of Rugby League...sometimes people make decisions regardless of consequence. We're not all perfect, and neither are you clowns that have been gobbing off!!!!If Rugby Union has more to offer then so be it..handle! If the Gallops and christ knows who, took a step back for a moment and looked at SBW as a person rather than a crowd-pulling asset, and sensed that maybe there was something drastically wrong, then why in gods name didn't they nip it in the bud...Goodluck to SBW and all that may follow, and there will be...

MAL75E

Man Of The Match
Reaction score
Reni is a tosser, sorry but he has messed up to many times off the field to have my respect as a person, I respect his playing ability but not him as a person.....
mate get ova it everyone makes mistakes u cant say ur such an angel coz i know im not reni seems to have lernt if he didnt it would have been him who had the fight at cronulla

MAL75E

Man Of The Match
Reaction score

because if u remember he almost left the club aswell due to being unhappy

Status
Not open for further replies.